Project hangs on "Creating UI" *and* CbB hangs on "Not Responding" after closing projects - ALL after upgrading to Windows 10

Hey everyone, so the other night I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and it went well. Today I tried firing up Cakewalk (CbB) for the first time after that and there's one project that hangs forever on "Creating UI" and it won't advance beyond that. First it would hang on "Loading Kontakt" for a good while longer than seemed usual then it finally gets past that and then gets stuck on "Creating UI" and project now won't open. So far it's just one project that hangs like that--and of course happens to be my best current song I'm working on. Other projects seem to load just fine... But when I try to close any given project Cakewalk just hangs and goes into "Not Responding" mode and has to be closed via either that "Close Program" popup or Task Manager.

Here's what I've tried so far:

In Edit->Preferences->Display I unchecked "Show Project Load Notifications" - this did not fix either issue.

Cleared Picture Cache (I always keep it clear) - this did not fix anything either.

Right after upgrading to Windows 10 I made sure the video card had latest drivers, which is an old AMD Radeon HD 5700, but it worked fine under Windows 7 and currently is reported to already be using the best drivers available for it.

I read that I could try to update my mobo BIOS and chipset, but I've also read that sometimes updating that could cause more problems, so I wanted to ask here before doing anything else. There might be other projects that get stuck on the "Creating UI" as I haven't checked them all, but so far it seems to be just that one project. But ALL projects hang on that "Not Responding" upon trying to close them and have to be closed the hard way. All this after upgrading to Windows 10. Anyone know what's going on? Would it help to run Cakewalk as Administrator? I was actually reading about that the other day and I think skook said it wasn't necessary. Many thanks for any tips.

Here's my computer info - don't now how much of this is info pertinent but here's all of it anyway (geez, hope my social security number isn't in there): 

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name CHRISJONES-PC

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model Z97X-UD3H

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F7, 6/17/2014

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Product Z97X-UD3H-CF

BaseBoard Version x.x

Platform Role Desktop

Secure Boot State Unsupported

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.145"

User Name ChrisJones-PC\Chris Jones

Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 7.86 GB

Available Physical Memory 5.07 GB

Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 12.9 GB

Page File Space 8.00 GB

Page File D:\pagefile.sys

Kernel DMA Protection Off

Virtualization-based security Not enabled

Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Are you running CbB as an administrator? I have a couple of plugins that gave me issues after I upgraded to win10 pro and running CbB as an Admin fixed those issues. this may help with the not responding on close issue where CbB is trying to save the file and windows may require admin rights.  and before you say your user account is an Admin Account, that is only partially true, even with UAC turned all the way down, windows. will still ask admin confirmation for certain tasks.  not sure if that is exactly your problem, but a good troubleshooting start point.  

keep us updated!

Peace

Blindeddie

Edited by Blindeddie

Yeah I'm running CbB as administrator via the "Run as an Administrator" box being checked by right-clicking the CbB icon then Properties->Compatibility tab. Unfortunately this didn't fix anything. 

I also tried opening the project in safe mode by holding down Shift while opening it to which I get some popup that says something like "Cakewalk will now personalize your user settings by copying application data files" - this didn3fix anything either... but I also thought "safe mode" wasn't supposed to load any of your vsts, however all of the vsts did get loaded so I'm not sure what safe mode is supposed to do here. 

I also tried opening that project (that hangs on "Creating UI") with SPLAT and it basically just hangs and doesn't even scan the vsts that would be loaded. I tried opening it w/ X3e and it said the CbB project is not even compatible for X3e. There's just no way to open this project since I've upgraded to Windows 10.

Edited by Christian Jones

1 minute ago, Christian Jones said:

I also tried opening the project in safe mode by holding down Shift while opening it to which I get some popup that says something like "Cakewalk will now personalize your user settings by copying application data files" - this didn3fix anything either... but I also thought "safe mode" wasn't supposed to load any of your vsts, however all of the vsts did get loaded so I'm not sure what safe mode is supposed to do here. 

This is not safe mode. Running CbB with SHIFT held down runs a "partial personalization" - a process to restore files missing from the user folder.

To open a project in safe mode, start CbB then open the project while holding down the SHIFT key. This is the safe mode dialog displayed when opening a project in safe mode -

0SGX5Wv.png

I found just now that if I create a new project and leave it totally empty (no vsts, no tracks etc), I am able to save it, reopen it and I can close it w/o CbB hanging in "Not Responding" mode. So it appears to be previous projects created on Windows 7 that won't close, if that means anything. I haven't tried loading up any vsts in a new project to see what happens yet. 

Likely a plug-in issue

21 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

I also tried opening that project (that hangs on "Creating UI") with SPLAT and it basically just hangs and doesn't even scan the vsts that would be loaded. I tried opening it w/ X3e and it said the CbB project is not even compatible for X3e. There's just no way to open this project since I've upgraded to Windows 10.

SONAR and CbB check the project to see if it was created by a newer version. If so, the DAW displays a warning message. This does not prevent the older DAW from opening the project but there may be features missing. The only case I know of that prevents a newer project from opening in an older DAW is when the project contains patch points or aux tracks. Older DAWs cannot open these projects at all and there is no warning message displayed.

Hang on exit is likely plug-in related. BandLab may be able to identify the plug-in from a hang dump. This thread describes how to created the dump

• Great Idea 1

6 minutes ago, scook said:

This is not safe mode. Running CbB with SHIFT held down runs a "partial personalization" - a process to restore files missing from the user folder.

To open a project in safe mode, start CbB then open the project while holding down the SHIFT key. This is the safe mode dialog displayed when opening a project in safe mode -

0SGX5Wv.png

OK that got me into safe mode and I chose "no to all" so no vsts would load and the project opened right away, but of course the soft synths are missing. It looks like I had Kontakt and Battery loaded as well as some distortion pedal vst but I can't tell what one. 

So I guess the next step is to open project is safe mode again and allow one vst to load at a time until I find which one causes the hang.. 

• Like 1

So in opening the project in safe mode I allowed *all* of the vsts to load and the project opened quickly and all the vsts worked except there was no synth rack, though there were instrument tracks of the vsts. Lol so, I guess, what should I do now that I've made it to *this* point? At least I can get the midi data out as I was afraid the song might've been lost. But how can I tell which plugin was causing the problem, since they all seemed to load fine under safe mode? 

The synth rack is a separate view and may be added to the project at any time from the view menu or keyboard shortcut ALT+9.

When I open projects in safe mode, the browser is not displayed, keyboard shortcut B will toggle the browser display.

Save the project under a different name (you can save it in the same folder if you wish) and see if it will open without running in safe mode.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

6 minutes ago, scook said:

The synth rack is a separate view and may be added to the project at any time.

Save the project under a different name (you can save it in the same folder if you wish) and see it will open regularly.

So in safe mode w/ the project that was hanging on "Creating UI", I saved the project under a different name, closed it, and it let me open it in regular mode and it opened quickly and seems to work - and it also closed w/o hanging on "Not Responding" this time. 

So opened another project that always opened fine in regular mode on my new Windows 10 and did exactly as above; first opened it in safe mode, saved it as something else and was able to open the new version in regular mode fine same as previous version, only now this new version will also close w/o doing the "Not Responding" routine. 

So, I guess what I have to do is basically open the individual projects in safe mode and re-save them? Because that at least appears to fix both issues I've reported here - though a tad tedious it ain't that bad considering and once it's done it's done I guess. Does that sound about right?

In any case thanks a bunch, scook, you saved my stuff. I'll make a note of this for other projects that this will likely have to be done with as I get to them. 

• Like 1

Yes, the re-save should be a one time event for each project. At least, there is a process to move forward without losing data. Since you are saving them under a different name, it is possible that BandLab may benefit from seeing one of the failing project files. They may be able to address what ever is causing the problem.

• Great Idea 1

5 minutes ago, scook said:

Yes, the re-save should be a one time event for each project. At least, there is a process to move forward without losing data. Since you are saving them under a different name, it is possible that BandLab may benefit from seeing one of the failing project files. They may be able to address what ever is causing the problem.

That's cool, how would I set it up so they could get the project the way they'd need it? Save it as a bundle file or something? Actually it's probably that method Noel talks about I can search for it. Thanks again dude. 

15 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

That's cool, how would I set it up so they could get the project the way they'd need it? Save it as a bundle file or something? Actually it's probably that method Noel talks about I can search for it. Thanks again dude. 

@Christian Jones, you can submit a support request here:  https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

You can attach a project file to the support request.  Another possibility when you have a large project file is to store the project file in the cloud using 4Shared, Dropbox or another online storage space.  Then you can include a link to the project file in the support request.

Don't worry if you lose the support request link.  You can click the "Cakewalk by BandLab" tab at the top of each forum webpage and select the "Support Center" option to open the support webpage.  Click on the "Submit A Request" link on the top, right of the support webpage to submit a request.

• Thanks 1

Have you tried deleting AUD.INI and TTSSEQ.INI from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core ?

AUD.INI in particular stores details about your audio devices, which may behave differently after upgrading to Windows 10.

It's totally safe to delete these files, as they are re-created automatically the next time you start Cakewalk.

The only thing you'll need to do is set your Audio device preferences again within Cakewalk, and choose your MIDI devices.

The other thing I'd suggest is re-installing your Audio drivers. If you do this though, delete AUD.INI again.

• Great Idea 2

Or another possibility is to rename the AUD.INI and TTSSEQ.INI to something different like AUD.INI.OLD and TTSSEQ.INI.OLD.  That way you have no chance of loosing the data in those files.  If the new files make no difference you can always revert back to the originals.

• Thanks 1

A helpful tool to determine what plugins are used in a Cakewalk project, even if you cannot open a project, is the free ProjectScope utility. I find that this still works with CWP files that were saved with CbB.

This Windows application is a resource browser for Cakewalk Project Files (CWP extension), specifically used in Cakewalk Sonar music software. No installation required, just download it and run it. Shows you resources inside a Sonar project file, to help you find the one you are frantically searching for

https://www.adamczyk.com/miscellaneous-files

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2019 at 12:21 PM, msmcleod said:

Have you tried deleting AUD.INI and TTSSEQ.INI from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core ?

AUD.INI in particular stores details about your audio devices, which may behave differently after upgrading to Windows 10.

It's totally safe to delete these files, as they are re-created automatically the next time you start Cakewalk.

The only thing you'll need to do is set your Audio device preferences again within Cakewalk, and choose your MIDI devices.

The other thing I'd suggest is re-installing your Audio drivers. If you do this though, delete AUD.INI again.

Thanks msmcleod I'll do that tomorrow when back at my daw and I'll see if that lets me open/close projects (that I haven't already re-saved in safe mode) w/ out "Not Responding" when closing.

I'll report back tomorrow if it made a difference there or not, but perhaps it'll make a difference somewhere else. I'll reinstall audio drivers too, good idea man. 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:39 PM, fogle622 said:

Or another possibility is to rename the AUD.INI and TTSSEQ.INI to something different like AUD.INI.OLD and TTSSEQ.INI.OLD.  That way you have no chance of loosing the data in those files... 

What would be the fear of losing the data in those files? What data is in there?