2022.06 Feedback

4 hours ago, scook said:

I believe the user is drawing attention to the hanzi in the dialog. Why would Chinese characters appear in a Portuguese dialog?

That string doesn't come from Cakewalk resources. It comes via a Windows API to read the device name from the registry, so something likely corrupted there. Nothing has changed in that code for many years.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

That string doesn't come from Cakewalk resources. It comes via a Windows API to read the device name from the registry, so something likely corrupted there. Nothing has changed in that code for many years.

Unicode when it shouldn't be or vice versa?

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

The device you inserted or removed is returning that string to the Windows API's we're using. Not much we can do to solve it. That is supposed to show the device name that was inserted or removed. Not related to this update.

This symptom of losing the connection to the MIDI device appears when I leave the project open on the computer for some time without use.
When I try to use it again this error message appears.
Until past versions the device name was named correctly.
In this version it started to show the device name in a language other than the Portuguese I use.
Could reinstalling the device driver fix the message?

Go to device manager and and for the usb ports untick "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" (or something like that) in the power management tab.  Alternatively, you can via power management tell your pc to never sleep.

3 minutes ago, bitman said:

‎Vá para o gerenciador de dispositivos e para as portas USB untick "permita que o computador desligue este dispositivo para economizar energia" (ou algo assim) na guia de gerenciamento de energia. Alternativamente, você pode através de gerenciamento de energia dizer ao seu pc para nunca dormir.‎

All these options are already configured and the error appears.

7 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

‎Tente reverter para verificar se a mensagem aparece em português ‎

I'll try to simulate the error later, as this only happens when I leave the DAW loaded with an open project.

I tried following the tips for configuring USB devices to allow Windows to turn them off, but not everyone has that option.
My only 2 USB devices are my Keystation 49es keyboard and my old Tascam US 600 which is working perfectly.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gang!

All is well, but something is different?

I installed the new EA the other day and all is well. I went to do the "proper" update today, but update search yielded a response telling me that I'm up to date? Yes, it's the .34 build, but this is the first time there was not a fresh install offered after the EA period for those using the EA.

Is this procedure now changed?

19 minutes ago, Keni said:

Hi Gang!

All is well, but something is different?

I installed the new EA the other day and all is well. I went to do the "proper" update today, but update search yielded a response telling me that I'm up to date? Yes, it's the .34 build, but this is the first time there was not a fresh install offered after the EA period for those using the EA.

Is this procedure now changed?

As far as the app is concerned, once a build is set for full release, it doesn't matter if it was installed from EA or not, it just simply checks the version, and if you're already on the correct build, no need to run the install again. There's frequently changes that occur between the EA and final release versions, thus when the release comes, it's a build or two higher than the EA version, so it'll download an install the final version.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

As far as the app is concerned, once a build is set for full release, it doesn't matter if it was installed from EA or not, it just simply checks the version, and if you're already on the correct build, no need to run the install again. There's frequently changes that occur between the EA and final release versions, thus when the release comes, it's a build or two higher than the EA version, so it'll download an install the final version.

Thanks for the explanation Jonathan!

Keep up the great work!

3 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Drag and dropping into folders works beautifully now, thanks for the quick fix! 👍

I also tested this and was pleased to see the order of the named tracks are retained when moved into a folder.  Glad it could be fixed.

• Like 2

Freeze bug: 2022.06 (build 34)

Selecting the "Render in Real-Time" option in the "Freeze Options" causes the render to fail on freezing a track.

The Now Time line begins to move and continues indefinitely without a render bar activating until the render is canceled...

Edited by Tez

6 hours ago, Tez said:

Freeze bug: 2022.06 (build 34)

Selecting the "Render in Real-Time" option in the "Freeze Options" causes the render to fail on freezing a track.

The Now Time line begins to move and continues indefinitely without a render bar activating until the render is canceled...

There are most likely some extra events or envelopes further on in your project causing this.  When you do a realtime freeze, the track is played for the duration of the project, then optionally the silence is removed after the audio has been frozen. 

To confirm this is the cause, press CTRL+A to select all and look at where the end of your selection is.  If it's way past the end of where you think your project should end, then this is the cause.

The easiest way to fix this is:
1. Ensure you are displaying everything within the Track View's "View->Display" options - in particular you want to be showing Ghosted Data and Muted Clips.
2. Ensure the Selection Module is visible and set to include Track Envelopes.
3. Turn on Ripple Edit All.
4. Put the now time at where you think the end of the project should be
5. Press CTRL +A to select all
6. Click the "Set From = Now" button in the selection module, so that the selection now contains everything past the end of the project
7. Press the Del key, then turn off Ripple Edit All

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2022 at 1:12 AM, msmcleod said:

There are most likely some extra events or envelopes further on in your project causing this. 

Thanks so much for the response but...

First, I setup a simple test project, one synth out & and one MIDI track, to validate that a real-time freeze render works on my system, just in case there was a potential issue there, and it was successful, although on a the first render the rendered audio misaligned with the midi, on unfreezing & re-freezing the alignment was correct.

Second, I ensured everything on your list was adhered to, and just for the record I’m usually, as in this case, careful about my project ends. My project end for this project was clearly defined by the “Go to End” button of the “Now slider” such that a select all (CTRL+A) terminated at precisely that endpoint.

Regardless, there’s still something amiss, just as previously described, the render failed to occur and the “Now Time” line moves indefinitely well beyond the project end and the  “Freeze tail duration” until the render was canceled...

The only thing I can add is that the only other option selected was “Remove silence” and this failure occurs with either dual mono or single stereo outs in this project, and with either "FX" on or off.

For me, this is not a critical issue, it's just that sometimes synths glitch, particularly Kontakt, during a bounce regardless of buffer size and one way to eliminate this it is to isolate the track via a freeze , and a real-time audible freeze might be useful.

Once again thanks...

Update: @msmcleod - Sir it appears there is an edge case for the failure described above. Namely the failure only occurs when the synth output is an aux track. I confirmed this in a test project , one synth out set to an aux track, the aux track set to a hardware output & and one MIDI track and no FX plugins ,  hence I believe this might be a bug.

On setting the synth output directly to a hardware output it functions as expected for a  real-time and also an audible freeze, so this is a workaround by temporarily resetting  a synths out .  In my current project all my synth outputs are to aux tracks, so anyone of them would fail for a real-time freeze 

Edited by Tez