2022.06 Feedback

11 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Does the same happen if you open the app first and then open your project?

Yes, after opening Cakewalk I tried opening a project - mouse didn't work so I used ALT-F and cursor down/Enter to load the project. 

When I then click on the file menu with the mouse I immediately got the Save As dialog box as if I had hit File then selected Save As... from the menu. 

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I don't think this could be anything related to this update. Are you sure your mouse isn't misbehaving?

I haven't found any other apps that are misbehaving mouse-wise and the issues only started after upgrading Cakewalk to 2022.06.
I will see if my spare wired mouse works any differently and also maybe try rolling back to 2022.02.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by ZincT

5 hours ago, ZincT said:

I haven't found any other apps that are misbehaving mouse-wise and the issues only started after upgrading Cakewalk to 2022.06.
I will see if my spare wired mouse works any differently and also maybe try rolling back to 2022.02.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the report. Seems to be an isolated incident so far, and I can't think of anything in this release that would cause such behavior.

I saw your post about not being able to do a screen capture. Is there any chance you could use your phone to capture it instead? Also, are you running any third party software that customizes the appearance of Windows and/or Cakewalk, and/or influences mouse behavior somehow? If so, it's worth disabling it and trying again.

If you do eventually rollback to 2022.02, I'd be interested to know if that fixes it too.

• Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, Ben Staton said:

Thanks for the report. Seems to be an isolated incident so far, and I can't think of anything in this release that would cause such behavior.

I saw your post about not being able to do a screen capture. Is there any chance you could use your phone to capture it instead? Also, are you running any third party software that customizes the appearance of Windows and/or Cakewalk, and/or influences mouse behavior somehow? If so, it's worth disabling it and trying again.

If you do eventually rollback to 2022.02, I'd be interested to know if that fixes it too.

I tried rolling back to 2022.02 but the problem was now also happening with that version. 🤔

However, your comment about "screen customisation" software did get me thinking.... I use Fences and also MS PowerToys. 
I have been using Fences for years and it's always behaved fine with other apps. So I tried killing PowerToys first and voila that fixed it! 🙌🏻

Specifically, I use the FancyZones feature in PowerToys with my UltraWide monitor. I then noticed that I was on PowerToys v0.57.2 while v0.59.1 was available.  Despite having "download updates automatically" enabled, it hadn't!  So I updated to the latest version (0.59.1) and Cakewalk now works fine with Powertoys running. 

Problem solved, thanks for your suggestions @Ben Staton 👍🏻

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 3

Regarding Windows 11 on ARM support: I am not able to install Cakewalk on a Windows 11 VM (Parallels Desktop, M1 Mac) using either the standalone installer or BandLab Assistant. After selecting the setup language, I get the following error:

This program can only be installed on versions of Windows designed for the following processor architectures:

x64

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

I tried rolling back to 2022.02 but the problem was now also happening with that version. 🤔

However, your comment about "screen customisation" software did get me thinking.... I use Fences and also MS PowerToys. 
I have been using Fences for years and it's always behaved fine with other apps. So I tried killing PowerToys first and voila that fixed it! 🙌🏻

Specifically, I use the FancyZones feature in PowerToys with my UltraWide monitor. I then noticed that I was on PowerToys v0.57.2 while v0.59.1 was available.  Despite having "download updates automatically" enabled, it hadn't!  So I updated to the latest version (0.59.1) and Cakewalk now works fine with Powertoys running. 

Problem solved, thanks for your suggestions @Ben Staton 👍🏻

Be wary of these extension tools that hook into windows low level functions since they can cause unexpected side effects like this!

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 3

Just tried my newly arrived iCon Platform M+.

Out of the box, the most basic functions like channel select, mute, solo, record, also volume and pan, are working fine. Most of the on side function buttons are also working, but 3 or 4 of them are giving me grief:P.

The Loop On/Off button is working in Mackie Universal and Cubase mode, but not in Cakewalk mode. It sends MIDI note 86 (D6).

The Mixer button is sending note 84 (C6). In Cakewalk and Universal seems to do nothing (or I'm missing the action), and in Cubase mode it acts as the left arrow button on pc keyboard causing quite unwanted results, so I started avoiding Cubase mode from now on.

The Write (enable?) button, again, is doing nothing in Cakewalk mode, and in both Universal and Cubase modes is causing the mouse pointer to do the spin-wheel cursor shortly. The MIDI note it sends is 75 (D#5)... God, I wish I knew what is happening during the short spin wheel (hopefully nothing like undo/redo or saving).

Finally, pressing the jog wheel sends MIDI note 101 (F7). Again, nothing happens. Is anybody able to tell me what are these 4 MIDI notes, mentioned above, doing in either of the 3 Mackie modes? Very grateful for any info.

Overall, the gear seems cheerful. Shame it won't play perfectly in neither of the 3 modes. Putting it into user mode could be a solution but then I'm loosing high resolution on the faders, they will only do 128 steps. Think I'm staying on Universal as it's the best compromise between 'unwanted'/'non-working'. For anything more aspiring I think AZcontrol is necessary.

Guys, when I updated and was working on a new cue, I did something I often do " Replace Synth"

I saw it had changed , and there were two options - Replace this synth only & Replace all instance of this synth ( or something to that effect )

I though..."cool" but I only needed to replace one synth ...however the next time I looked it had gone ? 

7 minutes ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

Guys, when I updated and was working on a new cue, I did something I often do " Replace Synth"

I saw it had changed , and there were two options - Replace this synth only & Replace all instance of this synth ( or something to that effect )

I though..."cool" but I only needed to replace one synth ...however the next time I looked it had gone ? 

The two separate options are only available in specific circumstances:

• On per-output instrument tracks
  • On instrument tracks that have other MIDI tracks feeding their synth

5 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:
2 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

image.png.cb0ad99bbfc1f369c717276e4a35ee73.png

The device you inserted or removed is returning that string to the Windows API's we're using. Not much we can do to solve it. That is supposed to show the device name that was inserted or removed. Not related to this update.

I believe the user is drawing attention to the hanzi in the dialog. Why would Chinese characters appear in a Portuguese dialog?

• Like 1