Nembrini Overdrive Special Guitar Amplifier - Intro Price $39

ALC

I've been playing around with NA ODS and comparing it with Fuchs ODS.  Here's what I discovered:

• Fuchs Overdrive controls (Input, Output) are different from NA (Level, Ratio), not sure if they're actually different or just different names.
  • Using a pink noise generator, disabling the tone stack, disabling the onboard cabinets, and using an external IR, looking at the output with a spectrum meter, I was able to get both amps to match pretty closely.
  • Now, turning on the tone stack, the Deep switch on the Fuchs doesn't seem to do anything, but Deep does a mid boost on NA (the manual says it's low-mid).  On the Fuchs, if I click on mid-pull, it seems to do something similar (not exactly the same but close enough).
  • With the tone stack on, there's a 4 or 5 dB hump centered at around 110 Hz on NA (not on Fuchs).
  • With the 110 Hz hump on the NA.  I just couldn't make the Fuchs ODS sound the same.
  • There's a peak on the highs at around 2.2 kHz that's always there on both amps.
  • If put NA Rack Cleaner before the signal with Rumbling at 6.7, I can filter out the hump and make the output sound similar, but with quite different settings.  Fuchs: Gain: 3.5, High: 2, Mid: 4, Low: 95, Master: 5.5 = NA: Volume: 3.5, Treble: 6, Middle: 7.5, Bass: 10, Master: 3.  Power soak and output are 0.
  • For overdrive, Input: 1, Output: 4 and Level: 4, Ratio: 2.5 sound close.

So, apparently, the amps are voiced differently, brighter on the Fuchs, and with a 110 Hz hump on the NA and the overdrive breakup happens at different threshholds.  Basically have to adjust the tone by ear since the knobs don't translate between the two.

Update 1: Apparently the bass hump isn't noticeable when overdrive is engaged.  Kind of makes sense if you think of it as a tube screamer but built-in.

Update 2: Oh, I get it.  I can set the input/level and then adjust the gain/volume.  Doing it this way, with gain: 1, input: 5, output: 4 = volume: 3.5, level: 5, ratio: 5.  So it seems NA pre-amp has more clean headroom than the Fuchs.

Update 3: What is the overdrive really doing?  Input/level = how much to boost and then output/ratio = level for pre-amp output?

Edited by ALC
Update 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have been trying for 2 days to create an account (have no idea if I've been successful), login (never have been successful) and reset my password (never have been successful). Have contacted them, no response.

Not a good way to introduce oneself to potential new customers.

☹️

• Sad 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:20 AM, cclarry said:

New code 

SPECIAL OFFER 60% OFF ALL PRODUCTS

using code PLUGIN60 at checkout

Tried to use the new code (PLUGIN60); while it was recognized as good, it only worked for "non sale" items in the cart--would not discount include the Overdrive Special Dumble amp.  Still--$39.99 is a good price for this.  Nembrini probably caught this and would not let the discount apply to the intro price anymore.

Regarding this amp-- I am impressed by how "thick and creamy" the ODS sounds.  I compared it to my S-Gear The Duke settings and this sounds good, but different.  The Nembrini has good overdrive tones especially the overdriven clean/pushed tones.  The S-Gear is cleaner, but the Nembrini will have a place in my setup for the flavor it adds.  No regrets.

However, I was surprised by the cabinets and IRs that Nembrini included (mostly v30's, a 4x10 and a 1x15 Fender styled cab).  I loaded two CelestionPlus IRs for Creamback openback 2x12 and a G12-65 openback and these 3rd party IRs  really helped the product shine.

No regrets. 

C2

Edited by Cecelius2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bad Penguin said:

3 days trying to create an account / login.

No response from them.

Is this a "real" company, or just some "fly-by-night" operator in their basement/garage?

I have another account, but I just created another account in literally less than 15 seconds and was logged in.

Just tried again, created a new account, tried to log in, log in failed, but now a password reset seems to work.

So, I guess "yes", about 45 seconds when things (almost) work as they should . . .

Really frustrating experience from someone who wants to sell me software for money . . . I hope their "musical tools" aren't this buggy

Edited by Bad Penguin

Strange?  I received an email today from Nembrini saying this:  

using code PLUGIN60 at checkout
(minimun purchase of $25)

I said earlier in this thread that this same code did not work on the ODS on sale.  However, this email today says it is for "All products".   So, I may have been wrong in my earlier post???  But again, I tried the code and it discounted the other products in my cart, but not the ODS (dumble).

So if your are reading this, and you are considering getting the Overdrive Special amp, perhaps you might want to try this code and see if it works for you.  It did not for me, but the email today says it is for "All Products". 

Just my 2cents.  Your experience might be better at getting the code to work for you.  

Still, I really like this amp!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cecelius2 said:

Strange?  I received an email today from Nembrini saying this:  

using code PLUGIN60 at checkout
(minimun purchase of $25)

Also will NOT work with Bundles

So much for "ALL PRODUCTS" . . .

• Like 1