Questions about SSDs

henkejs

I just read an article at Ars Technica about Microsoft negotiating with manufacturers to require all new Windows machines to use SSDs as their boot drives. Lots of people on this forum are already using them. But, I'm still running everything on my older HP desktop with a single HD. It actually works fine for the kinds of projects I do, and I don't have much in the way of sample libraries. For people who boot from an SSD, do you still use an old-fashioned HD for big sample libraries and that sort of thing? How about your project audio? Do you track to the SSD or the HD?

HD has been less expensive and as a result I have bought a few of them mainly for storage. It would not be difficult to clone the data from an HDD to an SDD.

I have found SSD to be more reliable. and overall faster, though you can buy a 7200 rpm HDD and probably get similar results. I have had them ever since they came out and have NEVER had one single issue using SSD. I have the maximum number of drives my MOBO will accept. All SSD.

Whenever a computer begins to show some age and we contemplate the next move, I have most often opted to save the files I wanted to save, wipe the drive and load a new OS. It's a lot of trouble to put all of those programs on the new machine again. The main reason I do it is because over times a lot of glut builds up on a system. Much of the software might need updating anyways.

I realize this is probably the least desired way to go about it and admittedly it is somewhat unconventional, however it assures you don't have any old problems following you into a  new OS.

Hi. I only have SSD's used actively in my studio pc (6) for both software and samples.

I started the transition 5 or so years ago, and have replaced my HD's for SSD's, and have had no issues with them.

I have a few external HD's that I use for storage of downloads and stuff (incl music software, libraries etc.).

All the best.

Even with the speed advantage of SSDs (especially reads), a 7200 rpm HDD is perfectly fine for audio, so you can mix or match to your taste.

The only real issue with SSDs is that when they go, they tend to catastrophically fail. I did have my C drive throwing odd errors and imaged that back to a larger replacement without issues. In hindsight I was lucky it didn't simply die, and I have never yet had an SSD fail.

Conversely, HDDs typically give you a heads up well in advance that they are failing (often noise from excessive seeking), and are more "permanent," provided they are not near powerful magnets. I keep one HDD in the machine for data and images. All data from the other SSDs on the machine is also synced to an external HDD.

Bottom line, neither are "bad," but it is good to know the pros/cons of each so you can tailor your backup strategy.

• Like 2

Macrium Reflect Free Edition.

Do a full backup.
Generate the Macrium Restore boot disc/usb stick.
Remove your boot HD and put it somewhere safe, replace with SSD.
Boot the Restore media and restore the full image backup to your new drive, extending the partition out to the maximum size.

Note: this is assuming your SSD is as large or larger than the HD it's replacing. It can grow the primary NTFS partition during the restore. I don't know if it can shrink it. Google that, if relevant.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Noise and vibration (case) with HDDs - SSDs are silent and, I believe, use less power than HDDs.  I've gone completely SSD/NVMe drives (one on motherboard, one on a PCIe adapter) and I wouldn't go back.  I have one external HDD for backups (and a bunch of really old HDDs that probably have some interesting old projects on, but I digress), but my main backup external drive is SSD too, and I've got an NVMe/USB3 adapter I'd put an NVMe drive in if I needed more external space.

Ok, ok...  I'll add something constructive if I must!  😆

SSD's are better in almost everyway I can think of except cost (at least for now) and in giving some warning before they die.  

While spinner drives are noisy, slower and (currently) cheaper, they at least usually provide some warning that they are about to die and, unlike SSD's, can SOMETIMES even be read even after they've died (this includes fixing bad access tables & sectors; replacing chipsets; as well as removing the platters and installing them into a working housing).

The most important takeaway is to make sure you have current backups with SSD's!  That said, I'll reiterate what I've said before: 🙂

On 9/19/2021 at 8:40 AM, craigb said:

Like I said, I'm loving BackBlaze.

If any of you decide to switch, here's a link that gets us both a free month!

https://secure.backblaze.com/r/02xo4h

(Oh, and, for reference, I've got at least eight SSD's - about 18 TB's worth - and at least a dozen spinner drives - at least 30 TB's worth! 😎 )

My newest computer has an SSD. I love it, the computer and apps boot up FAST

I use a "Toaster" drive and old fashioned HDs to create disk images. I'm using Acronis but considering switching to Macrium in the future because of the great reviews.

I have a two-slot toaster drive, and when doing music or anything else important, I back up to two drives.

The nice thing about the toaster is that I can insert and eject and keep a drawer full of backups if I want. Everything important gets backed up twice.

I belong to the Department of Redundancy Department. ;) (I don't remember the comedian I stole that from)

Notes ♫

toaster.jpg

Edited by Notes_Norton
typu
  • Like 1

i've been using the Samsung EVO SSD and just using the Samsung utility to clone the boot drives (so far - 10 machines) without an issue. boot speed has gone from 45 sec - 1min to 15 sec (most extreme - son's laptop went from 5min to 30 sec). i also use SSD on all my active drives and 7200 HDD for long term archive, as well as cloud backups. after about 3 years now with SSD, no failures or indications of failures. ( hopefully i have cursed myself by uttering those words 🙂 )

• Like 1

My thoughts...

• Your Windows boot drive should be on an SSD. Windows will then boot like a tablet. :)
  • 7200 RPM drives are fine for tracking audio, and archiving projects and installers. Recommend to always make your backups to HDD's as less likely to suddenly fail than SSD. Make backups of your backups.
  • Consider loading your large sample libraries (if you have them) from SSD. The sequential read access speed is much, much faster. 7200 RPM HDD is fine for this if you have patience.
  • Macrium Reflect free will clone an existing HDD to SSD in one step. Get an external USB adapter cable to connect the new SSD with, and then clone away! After cloning, swap in the new SSD! Simples!