Soundpaint Dunescape

cclarry

3 hours ago, abacab said:

73.29 GB

That is absolutely absurd. Did they even try using the "sophisticated sound engine that took 8 years to develop"? Have they tried programming? Lol. Most of the sounds in that demo could be made in any softsynth without using samples. I.E. How the actual Dune score was made.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

That is absolutely absurd. Did they even try using the "sophisticated sound engine that took 8 years to develop"? Have they tried programming? Lol. Most of the sounds in that demo could be made in any softsynth without using samples. I.E. How the actual Dune score was made.

Carl,

There is a video out there with Hans Zimmer on how he got these sounds. The imagination that went into that sound design and the way he pushed his musicians to create sounds from their instruments is incredible.

I think you are grossly over-simplifying the genius of those sounds and the sound track and I'd challenge you to get some of these sounds yourself with a softsynth of your choice.

EDIT: Here's the video

Edited by James Foxall
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 11:05 AM, James Foxall said:

There is a video out there with Hans Zimmer on how he got these sounds. The imagination that went into that sound design and the way he pushed his musicians to create sounds from their instruments is incredible.

Thanks! That was a very educational video! Hans is a genius! :)

I imagine that he would have used Zebra 2/Dark Zebra if he could have gotten these sounds out of a soft synth...

Best quote: "Wherever you have a goat and you have a piece of wood, all I want to say is the goat better watch out!"  LOL! 🤣

Edited by abacab
  • Haha 1

Thank goodness "Dunescape" is not a trademarked word.  I love it as a descriptive term for a sub-genre of so-called "ambient" music I have played around with.  I have not read the Dune books and cannot get into the movies at all.  That could be related to my non-preference for what some people call "Dark Ambient." 

But as a word, "dunescape" is an apt descriptor for cascading/overlapping/evolving/textural music (layered with sonic reflections in much same way light makes patterns over rolling and angular environmentally sculptured dunes).  Since my interest in this began with using a Moog at college and since so-called "generative music" has been making a comeback, I am now inspired to try making some dunescapes with  my modular soft-synth of choice.

I know this is probably off topic, but thanks for mentioning "dunescape." 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Thank goodness "Dunescape" is not a trademarked word.  I love it as a descriptive term for a sub-genre of so-called "ambient" music I have played around with.  I have not read the Dune books and cannot get into the movies at all.  That could be related to my non-preference for what some people call "Dark Ambient." 

But as a word, "dunescape" is an apt descriptor for cascading/overlapping/evolving/textural music (layered with sonic reflections in much same way light makes patterns over rolling and angular environmentally sculptured dunes).  Since my interest in this began with using a Moog at college and since so-called "generative music" has been making a comeback, I am now inspired to try making some dunescapes with  my modular soft-synth of choice.

I know this is probably off topic, but thanks for mentioning "dunescape." 

I have been a synth-head since the mid-80's, and I have always loved layering sounds from several instruments to create new textures.

In recent years as computers and soft synths have grown in power and capability, I've found that it's even easier to layer sounds while working all in-the-box now. With that said, I have been exploring the creative side of soft samplers alongside my collection of virtual analog, virtual digital, and virtual modular synths.

It's pretty much a given that you can make some very interesting soundscapes and pads with classic synths and some effects. But what I see now is that modern samplers allow you to synthesize with organic waveforms (real world samples). which expands the creative possibilities for entirely never heard before sounds by shaping, blending, and/or morphing them together. I think that some of these sample based instruments from SoundPaint, Mntra, iZotope Iris, and even Unify have the potential to take sound design to the next level. And you can still layer them with traditional synths if desired. Worth exploring, and just my two cents... :)

• Like 3