Cakewalk shuts down when clicking play button

Dick

If you do need a license, you could consider waiting for one of their sales. Typically you can get GPO, Jazz And Big Band etc for about 50.00. Personally I'm waiting for Concert And Marching Bands to be on sale, mainly to get the saxophones. The Jazz collection looks good too.  

In my experience, the winds and percussion are the best parts of the Garritan stuff. Saxophones, I don't know. I'm just hoping they're good. My only saxes are the Alto and Tenor in Dimension Pro. If I play with the settings I can get the Alto to mimic the Soprano (although it won't go up as high). Other than that, I only have a couple freebies that aren't that good.

I would think it would be to MakeMusic's advantage to offer the Aria player easily and freely, as it would probably generate more sales of their libraries. But then I'm not a businessman, what do I know....

As far as this discussion was concerned, I was interested in getting a multitimbral version of sforzando, but it's not a big deal.

Regarding GPO, I had looked into getting GPO 5 on sale a while back, exclusively for trying to integrate it with Notion 6 or Overture 5. But everything I read about those products indicate that they had worked fine earlier with GPO 4, but those templates/rules mostly broke when GPO 5 was released. So bottom line, not sure if Garritan would meet my needs now. Maybe a cheap version of of Vienna would be more suitable.

10 hours ago, abacab said:

I found Aria and you can install it, but the license is actually only granted if you have a paid license for the product. It's not a freeware product, so proceed at your own discretion.

Hmm. You should have found and downloaded a file named WIN_ARIA_Player_v1.872.exe. I didn't notice any admonitions about having a paid license when I installed it, was that in a click-through that I didn't read?

I can't even remember now how I found out that it was downloadable or why I thought it was free because it uses Plogue's GNU licensed code or something. Maybe on another forum.

6 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I didn't notice any admonitions about having a paid license when I installed it, was that in a click-through that I didn't read?

Most people never bother to actually read the license text that they automatically click through when running an installer. But it's there, all legal and binding and stuff.

If you click that you don't accept the license, the installer will normally terminate.

Once you have Aria installed, you do need to authorize it with a keycard. there is a place on the site to generate one:

https://www.garritan.com/support/

You just drag the keycard onto the player and that's it. Assuming that the working assumption that this is free is correct. If it won't let you generate a keycard, that means you need to purchase one of their libraries.

10 hours ago, abacab said:

As far as this discussion was concerned, I was interested in getting a multitimbral version of sforzando, but it's not a big deal.

Regarding GPO, I had looked into getting GPO 5 on sale a while back, exclusively for trying to integrate it with Notion 6 or Overture 5. But everything I read about those products indicate that they had worked fine earlier with GPO 4, but those templates/rules mostly broke when GPO 5 was released. So bottom line, not sure if Garritan would meet my needs now. Maybe a cheap version of of Vienna would be more suitable.

With Vienna you will need a dongle, a deal-breaker for many. I have some of their stuff and have no problem with the dongle. but I use a desktop so I don't need to worry about the stupid things breaking, or not having enough USB ports.

Their Special Edition 1 is probably the best entry-level library around in terms of quality. but it has its shortcomings. Which is why I use a combo of several different ones, they compliment one another. Be sure to get the Vienna Player version, not the Synchron one, as the latter is not multi-timbral.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I had the same problem. Is everyone sure there is no fix to this? I have both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Sforzando. They both work fine until I try to use midi files, where the program crashes without an error log upon pressing play. I've tried multiple methods of uploading midi files, but everything nets the same result. Again, they work totally fine when writing my own music, exports without any issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was struggling with the same problem exactly (Musescore exported MIDI crashing Cakewalk when fed to sforzando). I had just installed the most recent version of sforzando (1.967) and also installed ARIA latest version (1.959, found here https://store.makemusic.com/Downloads/Default.aspx?id=665), installing only the VST3 plugin in both cases, naively thinking that that would get the best results and compatibility.

Resorting to VST2 of sforzando did solve the problem. Thanks for all the tips of the previous contributors.

BTW, I didn't try to use ARIA again after getting sforzando to work, as I find the sforzando interface more user friendly (for what I do), but I confirm that I could install  use ARIA without any purchase or license (if only if it did not crash... :-)