Cakewalk shuts down when clicking play button

Dick

Imported a midi file from MuseScore.  Set up a sound font instrument in sforzando.  Pushed play arrow and Cakewalk shut down.  Tried two more times and it shut down each time.  Anyone know why?

Yes, the midi file works with other synths.  I don't want to make a big deal out of this. There are other work-arounds.  I was just hoping someone off the top of their heads would know why clicking the play button would shut down the program without some sort of error message.

Plugins crash the app. Sometimes the crash handler can catch that and offer to submit it.  But not all crashes are recoverable, especially since they can involve all sorts of memory overwrites/etc.  Plus audio drivers (for your sound card as well as your MIDI controllers/keyboards) can also crash.  Device driver crashes can be very difficult for application crash handlers to catch (sometimes).  When things go really wrong the app will just vanish.  Or hang.  Or hang and then vanish.  That's just how computers work.  Sounds like a bug in sforzando though, does it depend on what patch you load into it or does it crash with just a plain piano patch?  Have you updated it to the most recent version?

First of all, I'm pretty well up to date.  Cakewalk was downloaded about a month ago...MuseScore a week ago.  

It well may be it was only the one patch that failed.  I will test other situations later today (Cakewalk is on a different computer) and see what happens, and post the results.  Thanks for your comments

So I did some tests with midi from a 15-year-old version of Finale and current version of MuseScore using VSTs and sound fonts (with sforzando).  Only MuseScore midi with sforzando crashed.  MuseScore midi with VSTs worked fine and Finale midi with sforzando worked fine.

Nice. I'm an Aria Player fan when it comes to soundfonts.

Be sure to go into the Settings every once in a while and let it check for updates to both the program and the engine. They're always working on the thing and keep it up-to-date with versions that are not available on the website.

I believe the Aria is free. You may be able to get it directly from Plogue, I believe they actually make it. 

also, good point about sforzando 32 bit maybe was downloaded by mistake, that could easily cause problems. In my experience, there is no practical difference between Aria and sforzando, they just look different. They do the same things. Use whichever one you want.

2 hours ago, mdiemer said:

I believe the Aria is free. You may be able to get it directly from Plogue, I believe they actually make it.

I can't find a link to an Aria download. Plogue distributes the freeware sforzando, but I believe that Aria is OEM only from Garritan/MakeMusic.

Aria is 16 part multitimbral, while sforzando is not. Both can play sfz instruments.

They don't make it obvious any more.

Once you've made your account, you need to go to their generic Downloads page and go to the Search tool, and do a search by date for Aria Player. That should bring up a link to the latest downloadable version, which I believe is from 2016.

Download it, install it, and once you have it up and running, go into the plug-in's Settings and check for updates, both on the plug-in itself and the engine. If either of them are not the latest, Aria will automatically update itself, then you're good to go from there.

Another favorite of mine that supports SF2's and SFZ's is TX16Wx, but I haven't tried those formats with it yet. It's a powerhouse sampler, though, and great to have in its own right.

@msmcleod might want to look into it going forward.

https://www.tx16wx.com/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

They don't make it obvious any more.

Once you've made your account, you need to go to their generic Downloads page and go to the Search tool, and do a search by date for Aria Player. That should bring up a link to the latest downloadable version, which I believe is from 2016.

Download it, install it, and once you have it up and running, go into the plug-in's Settings and check for updates, both on the plug-in itself and the engine. If either of them are not the latest, Aria will automatically update itself, then you're good to go from there.

Another favorite of mine that supports SF2's and SFZ's is TX16Wx, but I haven't tried those formats with it yet. It's a powerhouse sampler, though, and great to have in its own right.

@msmcleod might want to look into it going forward.

https://www.tx16wx.com/

OK, thanks for the info. I found Aria and you can install it, but the license is actually only granted if you have a paid license for the product. It's not a freeware product, so proceed at your own discretion. ;)

I agree on the TX16Wx sampler. It's under active development and the free version is quite powerful and based on the old hardware samplers. The only limitation I have found is difficulty routing audio to the plugin to do live sampling. So far I can only get that live recording to work in Reaper, due to its flexible route anything anywhere architecture. I don't think it's the fault of the sampler, but rather a limitation of some DAWs like Cakewalk that don't allow audio inputs to instrument plugins, but only to FX plugins. I attempted to configure TX16Wx as an effect in Cakewalk, but no luck so far...

The best workaround I found for Cakewalk is to first record the new audio sample to an audio track, then drag and drop the audio clip to the sampler.

• Like 1