WINDOWS 10 Pro

SPAK

39 minutes ago, abacab said:

I would have stick my neck out to say that an SSD is almost a requirement for a Win10 boot drive. 🤪

I have been on Win10 Pro on my main work machine since 2015. I bought my first SSD about 18 months ago, and I must say I was pretty disappointed in the change in speed of a cold boot with the new drive--better, but nowhere near the instantaneous boot that some people talk about.

1 hour ago, slartabartfast said:

I have been on Win10 Pro on my main work machine since 2015. I bought my first SSD about 18 months ago, and I must say I was pretty disappointed in the change in speed of a cold boot with the new drive--better, but nowhere near the instantaneous boot that some people talk about.

Yep, Win 10 has a lot more going on when it boots. A few years ago I upgraded a laptop with a HDD spinner from Win 8.1 to Win 10, and it was barely usable with Win 10.

But YMMV. I always try to shut off as many non-Windows auto-loading processes and services as I can.

You may already be familiar with this, but for the sake of others reading >>> Autoruns for Windows by Microsoft Sysinternals is free, and can give you a lot of insight into what is starting up in Windows, and you can easily uncheck any entries you wish (non-destructively) to prevent them from loading. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

"This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and when you start various built-in Windows applications like Internet Explorer, Explorer and media players. These programs and drivers include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. Autoruns reports Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond other autostart utilities."

Edited by abacab

How slow is slow?  Mine boots in a consistent 9 seconds.  It's just not worth worrying about that, so shutting down and letting things be clean on startup is a non-issue (it's a decent, but nowehere close to top end machine: Ryzen 2600@3.4GHz, 6/12 cores, 32GB, Samsung NVMe boot drive).

41 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

How slow is slow?  Mine boots in a consistent 9 seconds.  It's just not worth worrying about that, so shutting down and letting things be clean on startup is a non-issue (it's a decent, but nowehere close to top end machine: Ryzen 2600@3.4GHz, 6/12 cores, 32GB, Samsung NVMe boot drive).

My boot takes about 20 seconds on a modest machine, Intel i5-9600K, at 4.3GHz, 6 cores, 16GB DDR4, Samsung SSD 860 500GB boot, running on ASUS Prime Z390-A.

Not top end, but fast enough for me not to have to go make coffee while waiting. :)