Control Surface compatible with Cakewalk??

Is Cakewalk actually truly compatible with ANY control surfaces?? I just got a Novation Launchkey 61 MK3, mostly based on "info" and recommendation  from Creative Sauce. Big mistake!  It immediately takes over as "audio interface" and disables my Tascam 20x20. I've spebt the last 4 hours trying to make it cooperate but no bueno. I'll be sending it back to Sweetwater. What's the deal with Cakewalk and control surfaces? Are they all dismissive of Cakewalk or is it a Cakewalk issue?

Steve

The Novation Launchkey is only a usb midi interface, there is no reason why it should even show up under <preferences/audio devices>, and thereby "steal" away from your Tascam audio I/O.

Check in your prefs that the Tascam is your audio device, and in midi devices, the keyboard is selected.

Maybe a screenshot of those two dialogs would help us to help you.

If the Novation is plugged in, then Cakewalk says there is no audio device connected. If I reinstall the Tascam drivers then Cakewalk uses them but as soon as I plug in the Novation then Cakewalk stops recognizing the Tascam. I tested this with at least 50 reboots with various scenarios. If the novation is disconnected the Tascam works but then when I plug in the Novation it isn't available. If I restart Cakewalk it recognizes the novation but not the tascam interface.

Ok. That is definitely weird. I know someone with that keyboard as Midi input AND controller, with a MOTU audio I/O that works swimmingly.

Have you trashed the ACT control and just tried it as a MIDI keyboard input device (not control surface)?

If that is successful, then try to add just a Mackie Control surface for the Novation to see if that forces the issue.

Again... maybe screenshot your prefs pages for us?

There are several of the sales folks at Sweetwater that are tech savvy, especially with CbB. I believe a chat session with them may be in order too while we put on our thinking caps.