cakewalk by bandlab

NPM

Question

5 answers to this question

5 hours ago, NPM said:

cakewalk crashing after bouncing to tracks but sonar 8.3 does not with same project. WIn 10, Scarlett18i20

We need more information.

Detailed PC specs?
Audio interface settings (sample rate, bit depth and buffer size)
Latest drivers for your Scarlett?  (https://downloads.focusrite.com/focusrite)
Plugins used and how many tracks?
Bitness of plugins (32bit or 53bit:)
Etc.

16 hours ago, Promidi said:

Bitness of plugins (32bit or 53bit:)

53 bit plug-ins are notorious for causing issues on bounce. The devs don't seem to care. 😁

Most likely culprit is plug-in incompatibility. I choose my words carefully, because I'm beginning to understand that "it's probably a plug-in" is too often read as "it's the plug-in's fault, Cakewalk is never to blame." The issue is that they're not playing nice together. I have at least one plug-in that works fine in other programs but with Cakewalk, needs to be used in VST2 form only. Otherwise it generates horrible screeching, which I do want sometimes, but not unintentionally from a chorus effect.

The VST specs are loose enough that both pieces of software can be compliant and still fall down and go boom. A plug-in can expose a flaw in Cakewalk and vice-versa. Look at the Cakewalk update release notes to see the changes made to Cakewalk so it can work with certain plug-ins.

As a practical matter, the thing to do is first try the operation with all FX disabled, then if it works, begin whittling down the plug-ins you're using until you find which one the operation is choking on. A VSTi may be what's not playing nice, but that happens less often.

At that point, you can report to both the plug-in manufacturer and the Cakewalk devs that there seems to be a compatibility problem. The plug-in devs obviously have easy access to the freeware Cakewalk, and the Cakewalk devs can usually get an NFR license for testing purposes from plug-in developers (one of the perks of being a software developer 😄).

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

53 bit plug-ins are notorious for causing issues on bounce. The devs don't seem to care. 😁

I am glad you knew I meant 64bit.......    but everything else you mention does apply to the 32bit ones.....

• Like 1