non record Gap in punch in punch out red highlight

Hi all,

its been a while since I posted a problem, so I must be making progress!

Anyhows, I've done a screenshot which might help, but basically I am trying to drop a piece of bass guitar into the track, to correct some duff notes. I highlight the section, click on Punch in, and set record to overwrite, done this hundreds of times. But Cakewalk just records the last bit of the highlighted section and there is a blank missing bit before this, even though it is all 331137185_cakewalkscreenshot.thumb.png.3f1db605b45c08554e05ba7c042bd18d.pnghighlighted. The screenshot shows it better. I am baffled, as its never done this before. Ideas anyone?

My guess would be you're coming in too early, and the Note Ons are arriving before the punch point so they get ignored.  Because MIDI is editable and doesn't need to have precisely matching punch points like audio, I virtually never punch-record MIDI. I either just fix it in the PRV or delete it and record a second take in Sound on Sound mode. Or just grab a copy of the same sequence from another measure if possible.

Hmmm, in the end I gave up and just drew the notes in, but the problem hasn't gone away. It just seems to select a chunk and stop anything recording. Its not me coming in late thats for sure. And it only started messing me around yesterday!

I'll just keep looking at what I ve done wrong, but the problem is time! You can spend hours sorting stuff out, and I simply don't have the time. If I find a fix I will post. I know this will happen again, probably  with vocals and then I will HAVE to fix it. 

22 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

If no other solution works, try recording on another track.

I agree.

Just duplicate the track (without the midi data), and record over the section you want to update.

This is my preferred workflow, because you just get rid of punching in, etc.

You can build a consolidate midi track later or just leave the multiple tracks as they are.

21 hours ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

What do you mean " without the midi data"?

when you duplicate a track, one of the options is 'Events'; unchecking that excludes MIDI/Audio and creates an empty track. 

But you should be able to resolve this issue without creating a new track.

Edited by David Baay

I would second the notion that you're trying to record the note on before the note off of the same note. I suggest that you split the clip where you select that will force a note off event at the split ( I think ) , and will make a consistent selection for the punch in. In case you need to do multiple takes in comp mode.

It never occurred to me to use auto punch with Midi? I guess I’ve always just ignored bad notes if played and easily fix in PVR.

If I make a royal mess of a track part way through I actually use my handy dandy R button on my controller or my foot switch if it’s hooked up. But this is the thing! You have to hit the record button BEFORE you start playing the new part.
I’ll put my money on that is the reason why the blank space. There could be midi delay involved too.  

It’s pretty common to have people coming here complaining all their Midi notes are recorded earlier and have to be nudged forward. PDC. 

So you are actually playing in perfect time but the system plunked the note back in the point before the recording started. 

Edited by John Vere

• 2 weeks later...

In the very rare cases when I use punch in-type solution  with midi I don't even use punch in. I just record the bit in question on another track, and then  drag it to it's correct place editing some if necessary.  With my poor playing skills that's faster than actual punch in, because you don't need to be so precise. You can sort shovel the stuff in and then fix the details.

• 2 weeks later...