What do you think of this - Lenovo Legion 5i Pro Gen 7 (16" Intel) ?

C. A. Hamman

Hi hoping you could advise on the likely performance of this system, the  Lenovo Legion 5i Pro Gen 7 (16" Intel) ?

The i7 version currently at € 1,839.99

I'm thinking of this as my replacement computer to my Asus ROG laptop (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz   2.40 GHz / 16GB / 1TB M.2 NVMe)  which has served me well, but finding lots of instrument VST's and Plugins starting to get the better of it. I'm a guitarist so low latency is important. I get very mixed results with track freezing and find I'm always going back and tweaking,

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Legion-5i-Pro-Gen-7-16-inch-Intel/p/LEN101G0015?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

You thoughts on this laptop would be much appreciated.

On 6/4/2022 at 5:38 PM, bdickens said:

Get a desktop unless you really are going to be mobile. Desktops are so much better.

Having switched to a Scan 17" 3XS custom music production laptop five years ago as my primary DAW, I can't disagree with this advice.

The fan noise alone is reason for me to switch back to a desktop when the time comes to upgrade.

Andy

I agree with the others on a desktop.

But, if you must have a laptop consider a "gaming" laptop.  They are usually more robust and have additional cooling, the bane of a laptop.  

When I added a laptop for mobile/on site recording I chose a Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 model for the cooling.  I've had it powered on continuously for over 6 hours at times and no overheating or noisy fan problems.

Lads, thanks for the advice on the desktop. Thanks for those responses - I do appreciate that those of you that work with fixed desktops have a singular place to work.

I find that I have to take my tunes with me where I go. I'm not in a fixed position. Sorry not being dismissive but it wasn't a case of asking anything else. I was more expecting something like, for best results be sure to go for 32GB ram rather or increase SSD NVMe type or that sort of thing. Or beware of USB bus type on these systems or E-cores not clocking enough... so on. You can't lock the clock cycle without the additional licensing ...etc.

To date I have been using a Gaming Laptop - ASUS ROG G531 / Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz   2.40 GH / 16GB Ram and 1TB NVMe SSD.  It has done me really well and I have done a huge amount of Audio work on it. It's been a great 3 years; worry free Laptop. My 11 year old will inherit :)

I have Machine MK3 / Komplete 61 MK2 / Focusrite Solo (for holidays) ... and several other audio interfaces up to 16 channels - again all mobile. 

Fan noise points are very good, I know that well and it does become a pain now and again. However for low latency, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make :)

The 12 gen processors look good, and for what it is worth, these Lenovo's appear to be best price too. I would like to reduce track freezing where possible and increase plugins where I can.

Again my thanks to all - if you still have opinions on this system please do comment. I should have replied sooner sorry I am on the road a lot with my job and only get to these things about once a week or there abouts.

thanks all.

One of the biggest issues with using a laptop is DPC Latency, and it's hard to find reliable data on whether a particular laptop is affected. A laptop with good specs can be rendered useless for audio work if thermal management or some other driver introduces large DPC latencies - it's much more prevalent on laptops than desktops.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ has tested this laptop, and it seems it could be ok as the drivers causing issue are network drivers (prob wireless) which can be turned off when doing audio work, and power settings probably haven't been optimised for audio work.

latencymon_main.jpg

Having a personal recommendation for the model you're buying, or better still a hands on test, would be my preference before splurging 

If you do end up buying it, an update here on how you find it would be great to help others.. 🙂

• 4 months later...