Neve announce 88M preamp

satya

FWIW, Every audio interface (that I'm aware of) that has USB-C port... is actually a USB-2 audio interface.

The USB-C port is a slight advantage for bus-powered devices (carries more power)... but it would offer no performance advantage.

If 88m were a Thunderbolt audio interface, that could allow lower round-trip latency.

I'm not a fan of any bus-powered audio interface.  There's always a design compromise when dealing with 48v phantom power.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Last Call said:

It's  massively ***** to use anything but a USB C port/connection.

Don't get me started... 😡

(this isn't about transfer speed btw).

Why?

USB-C carries more power... but it's still a compromise when you're talking 48v phantom power (for bus-powered audio interfaces).

Every audio interface that has a USB-C port (read the manual) is actually a USB-2 device.  Thus, there's no performance advantage when connected via USB-C (vs a type-A USB-2 port).

Two channels of I/O is nowhere near saturating the bandwidth of USB-2.

There's currently no USB-3 audio interface that out-performs the best USB-2 audio interfaces.  Ironically, most USB-3 audio interfaces have higher round-trip latency.

24 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

There's currently no USB-3 audio interface that out-performs the best USB-2 audio interfaces.  Ironically, most USB-3 audio interfaces have higher round-trip latency.

I read somewhere (I think Sound On Sound), that the one USB3 device they tested that had really good low latency performance was the RME Fireface UFX+, which they said matched it's TB performance (the interface has both connectors). They said RME's implementation and drivers were the difference maker. I was tempted by the UFX+ when I was shopping for a new interface, but opted for the Presonus Quantum (based in part on Jim's advice), and am very happy I did; for all-midi dudes like me, TB is pretty awesome. 

16 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I have the precursor UFX. If it ever goes ***** up I'll just get the UFX+ (or latest RME iteration)

My Quantum replaced the RME Babyface I got second-hand about five years ago, and which I now use with my laptop. It's a really sweet piece of gear -- sounds terrific, and in five years of constant and fairly demanding use, never gave me a moment's trouble.

The UFX+ looks like an epic piece of gear, but I judged that it was overkill for my purposes. The Quantum has been rock-solid and sounds awesome. 

This Neve unit does look really interesting. I'd love to hear the preamps on it. I'm seeing it listed for $1,250 US, which I'm guessing is pretty good, when factoring in two Neve preamps...The folks at Vintageking got their hands on one and did some testing: 

https://vintageking.com/blog/2022/06/recording-with-the-ams-neve-88m-interface/

Edited by Amicus717

I said don't get me started! 🤗

Also I said this isn't about performance 🤗

Scarletts and Claretts have usb c type connection. Audient too.

Those guys want to sell!

Neve and RME don't. 

Apple wants to sell and has a giant share of the market.

Guess what? They use type C connections. 

Even materials wise a usb C type connection uses less material to be manufactured  because it's smaller.

Honest to god I hate that I had to spell that out 🤬 .... 🤗

Also, I hate that I have to use an adapter and buy a PRINTER cable to connect my ADI-2 to my Apple M1 Silicon Mac.

Enough is enough 🤣

4 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

I read somewhere (I think Sound On Sound), that the one USB3 device they tested that had really good low latency performance was the RME Fireface UFX+, which they said matched it's TB performance (the interface has both connectors). They said RME's implementation and drivers were the difference maker. I was tempted by the UFX+ when I was shopping for a new interface, but opted for the Presonus Quantum (based in part on Jim's advice), and am very happy I did; for all-midi dudes like me, TB is pretty awesome. 

FWIW, I used a RME UFX+ for a couple years.

I used it connected via Thunderbolt.

Round-trip latency via Thunderbolt wasn't particularly great (just above 4ms total round-trip latency).

Connected via USB-3, round-trip latency was just a tiny bit higher.

Presonus Quantum can achieve 1ms total round-trip latency @ 96k using a 32-sample ASIO buffer size.

Fireface UFX+ can't come anywhere close to that. 

The driver won't let you use small ASIO buffer sizes if you're running at higher sample-rates.

ie:  If you're running at 96k, you can't use a 32-sample ASIO buffer size.

If you're wanting a Thunderbolt audio interface that offers round-trip latency on par with the Presonus Quantum... along with onboard DSP for processing/routing, I'd steer you toward the Antelope interfaces.

I'm currently running an Orion Studio Synergy Core... which replaced both my RME Fireface UFX+ and Presonus Quantum (it has the best features of both).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Last Call said:

Those guys want to sell!

Neve and RME don't. 

I'm not looking to argue, but you do realize that there are vastly MORE machines that don't have a USB-C port, right?

Any machine made in the last decade has USB-3 type A.

That's why... when you buy a Focusrite Scarlet, it comes with a USB-C to USB-2 type A cable.    😉

I've got a new MBP here (16" display, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD).

The latest series has three Thunderbolt ports (via USB-C), HDMI, and back to dedicated magnetic power-port.

You can get a nice "mini-hub" that takes one of the USB-C ports and provides four USB-3 ports.

The MBP is here to support VE Pro users (not used for any heavy-lifting as I have both 5950x and 12900ks based workstations).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

If you're wanting a Thunderbolt audio interface that offers round-trip latency on par with the Presonus Quantum... along with onboard DSP for processing/routing, I'd steer you toward the Antelope interfaces.

I'm currently running an Orion Studio Synergy Core... which replaced both my RME Fireface UFX+ and Presonus Quantum (it has the best features of both).

My Presonus gives me everything I need, at least right now. Really enjoy using it. 

I have heard Antelope has awesome hardware and converters, but I've also heard rumblings that Antelope's drivers can be a bit twitchy. Any truth to that?

4 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

That's why... when you buy a Focusrite Scarlet, it comes with a USB-C to USB-2 type A cable

True.

Nevertheless, nobody likes hubs. Specially when going mobile (they are a FORCED necessary evil by the industry).

Thank god the MBP comes with more ports, just like back in the old days.

Anyway, I won't waste my time writing Neve I won't buy their interface. 😂

Edited by Last Call

1 hour ago, Amicus717 said:

My Presonus gives me everything I need, at least right now. Really enjoy using it. 

I have heard Antelope has awesome hardware and converters, but I've also heard rumblings that Antelope's drivers can be a bit twitchy. Any truth to that?

Quantum is a great audio interface.  It literally set the bar for ultra low round-trip latency performance.

Antelope drivers (with current generation hardware) have been rock-solid.

My audio interface also functions as a mixer/patch-bay... so the extra DSP/routing comes in handy.

I have keyboards plugged-in, Helix and Quad Cortex guitar processors, etc.

Antelope has a way of making certain things more complicated than need be. 

The name Orion Studio Synergy Core says a lot...  🤪

Once you understand patching/routing, the interfaces really aren't hard to operate.

Back on-topic to the 88m:

I'd expect those preamps to sound good... for onboard preamps.

If you're expecting them to sound like a 1073, Portico-II, or Shelford preamp... you're going to be disappointed.

The transformer from those preamps wouldn't fit in the 88m's chassis.

Even with 500 series preamps, Neve has mentioned preamp design (by comparison to their full-size counterparts) has compromises to keep size/cost down.

Whether that matters... is up to each individual.

To my ears, the transformer is a big part of the Neve sound.

• Like 3