"Secrets (of the songs and dance)"

bats brew

"Secrets (of the songs and dance)"

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/secrets-4

this is my second mix of this new tune..
i posted the first one some months back.

i've done many versions of this, mix wise...but this is the closest i've gotten to what i want.

questions:
how does the bass guitar track translate?
does the synth stand out where it should, lay back where it should?
are the vox good where they are? more dry, more effects?

tnx in advance for any help.
this has been a really hard mix for me.

What did you use for the didgeridoo?,  what was the ARP being played on?

how does the bass guitar track translate? Can hear it OK when it feels like it should be heard.
does the synth stand out where it should, lay back where it should?  Like the bass it works here
are the vox good where they are? more dry, more effects?  well it does sound in a few places like you are close to screaming them but.....

i really like your style, I listened to some of your stuff on the old forum.

when I hear your stuff it makes me think of TKO and QUEENSRYCHE. 

your guitar work totally makes me think of Rick Pierce, and yet the keys bring to mind Tony Bortko. don't get me wrong you are an original

all the way. I just hear those ehco's in your material.

Edited by Joad

On 6/21/2019 at 1:05 AM, SPAK said:

Watch the money come in ... really great vibe.

hey spak! i don't know about no money!! but hey, thanks for commenting!

On 6/21/2019 at 7:36 AM, daryl1968 said:

synths sound fantastic on this one Bats. Mix is well balanced to my ears.

great daryl, for the comment and insight, i don't mix synths this intense very often, this is a collab with virtualan, and i may even edit out some of the other backing tracks in a few places to let the synths fly a little more upfront.

this was a b!tch to mix!

On 6/21/2019 at 11:57 AM, Wookiee said:

What did you use for the didgeridoo?,  what was the ARP being played on?

how does the bass guitar track translate? Can hear it OK when it feels like it should be heard.
does the synth stand out where it should, lay back where it should?  Like the bass it works here
are the vox good where they are? more dry, more effects?  well it does sound in a few places like you are close to screaming them but.....

hi wook, thanks for listening and the comments on what works, what doesn't...

funny my singing came across as 'screaming', i was actually trying to lay up!!

hehehh

the synths were done by my friend virtualan, this being a collab similar to the one you and i did, 

and i'm not sure what he used... there are actually two synth lead tracks, one is a low end track, and a 3rd track that is a synth pad track, 

that offers up all the nice ear candy throughout...

the digireedoo was a 'found' loop, and i just doubled it up and edited it for the fade in/out

since the subject matter is about original aborigines, i thought the digiree was a proper nod.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, batsbrew said:

funny my singing came across as 'screaming', i was actually trying to lay up!!

hehehh

well perhaps screaming was a poor choice of description what I meant was it sounds like you are pushing it a little.

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Not listened to any new Bat's Brew stuff for a while... My loss...

Anyway, this was a fun song. So many facets... Very enjoyable and on my second listen.

Of course, me giving you any pointers would be a bit of a joke, so I'll leave it at that ;)

cheers

andy

On 6/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, kloon said:

I would call it "Rock" with hints of progressive rock and psychedelic rock.

hey kloon,

ok yea, it's def a bit psychedelic and prog, that makes sense.

On 6/22/2019 at 9:15 AM, Lynn said:

This is a terrific blend of guitar and synthesizer, ala Steve Miller, though better!  As usual, the mix is clean, but with warmth.  Something for all of us to shoot for...  A+  for versatility.

hey lynn! thanks for listening,

steve miller, i've been on a miller kick lately, listening to his 70's era stuff.

interesting you hear it as warm, someone else said it was harsh, 1-3k region.

i'm still listening for parts that blend as harsh, if i can find them i'll try to neuter them.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:37 PM, Joad said:

i really like your style, I listened to some of your stuff on the old forum.

when I hear your stuff it makes me think of TKO and QUEENSRYCHE. 

your guitar work totally makes me think of Rick Pierce, and yet the keys bring to mind Tony Bortko. don't get me wrong you are an original

all the way. I just hear those ehco's in your material.

hi Joad, thanks so much for checking my stuff out now,

i'm still trying to come up with some new sounding stuff, even if it sound rooted in something older.

i remember when TKO first came out,pierce was bending some ears for sure.

On 6/23/2019 at 10:28 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

Yes, the synths are cool on this song.  I think the bass sounds fine,  as does the overall mix. Cool ending.

Thanks for posting.

howdy douglas! thanks for the feedback, it helps me narrow down what to work on.

Bat
Since I don't trust my aging ears any more I won't comment on the mix except to say
it sounds professional quality to me. Listening now thru Sennheiser PXC 550 headphones bluetoothed to my laptop.

I remember the previous version of this song and now you've made it even better.
I like the intro which suggests an aborigines story
Nice change up 3:30 with the chant thing  and the almost heavy metal guitar.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:32 AM, Wookiee said:

well perhaps screaming was a poor choice of description what I meant was it sounds like you are pushing it a little.

heheh, well, i found out recording this one, that i can't hit those notes without digging in, and backing off the mic.

i tried an alternate vocal recording today, i'll post that sometime down the road, and get some feedback on which one works the best.

as it is, i remixed it today, took off all the delays, used a plate reverb on the vocal buss instead, and took out a bunch of 2-3k and some woofy 800hz, and brought the vox back in the mix, and you still hear them quite clearly, i think that i dialed it in.

i also mixed the synths hotter in a bunch of places, 

and that still works great!

On 6/24/2019 at 10:01 AM, synkrotron said:

Hi Rob,

Not listened to any new Bat's Brew stuff for a while... My loss...

Anyway, this was a fun song. So many facets... Very enjoyable and on my second listen.

Of course, me giving you any pointers would be a bit of a joke, so I'll leave it at that ;)

cheers

andy

hey andy!

the great thing about my stuff is, it's not biodegradable!! so it never goes anywhere!

LOL

thanks for listening and commenting, and any pointer is valid to a listener,  you know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1