Multiple Hardware Configs

Jim Thomas,

I have some really useful interfaces but it would be great if it were to be easy to choose between them without having to manually check/uncheck inputs and outputs. For example, I have a Focusrite OctoPre running through a Scarlett with a bunch of different guitar amp/mic combos setup, and being able to change between them on the fly is extremely cool. However, I also have a Line 6 Helix which is amazing for quick jobs, and it would be nice to be able to switch between these two without a lot of time spent checking/unchecking boxes.

Is there a way to do this? Multiple installs of Cakewalk doesn't sound like a great idea (thinking registry madness), but if it works, I'm in. Perhaps multiple .ini files I could swap with batch files...? If there are other solutions, I'm game!

Any thoughts appreciated!

I suggested this a while back.

What I do now as a workaround is to store multiple AUD.INI and TTSSEQ.INI files in separate directories. When I want to swap profiles, I just copy them to %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\  before I start Cakewalk.

I've actually got this as a shortcut on my desktop to a batch file that does all the copying for me (it also does other stuff like put Windows into test  mode, as that's the only way the mLAN driver works in Windows 10).

My normal studio setup is a Scarlett 18i20, but when I need more than 16 inputs I swap to my mLAN setup (01X + i88X - i88X). 

This sounds like a great idea, it's a pain when I move my laptop between home and rehearsal room  - different interfaces and different master keyboard mean it's easy to get things messed up. Being able to choose between multiple 'hardware configs' from the UI  would be awesome!

Thanks so much for the reponses. I do think choosing configs would be a great feature to add to the start screen, and wouldn't be reliant on any particular driver model in the future (though aggregation would be ideal if only the drivers were up to snuff).  What's the best way to request a new feature? I'm seeing other threads/"how-do-I's" that could be addressed this way as well.

Another thing to look at might be O'Deus ASIOLink.

This basically wraps all your interfaces up into one single ASIO driver. You choose your main interface as the primary ASIO driver within ASIOLink, and it accesses the rest using the native Windows ones. Unlike ASIO4ALL, there's loads of routing options, and you can save different profiles etc. You can even route ASIO over ethernet.

I noticed absolutely no latency differences between my Scarlett 6i6 (with a buffer of 64) and it being wrapped with ASIOLink.

Note however you will still need to make sure that the interfaces are word clock sync'd if you're recording on one device and playing back on another (i.e. if both devices are connected).

If you're just using it to swap between devices, you can set up two profiles within ASIOLink and do the swapping there rather than in Cakewalk.

I posted a link last month about it becoming available again (this time for free):

Edited by msmcleod