Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys

Iv'e used the VX64 Cakewalk vocal strip, its a great plugin however can cause some dropout issues. Does anyone know of something along the same lines that's solid. I have developed my own Vocal strip FX chain but be nice just to use one plugin. cheers P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone used this Joe Chiccarelli Vocal Strip 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooohhh  Looks interesting. 👍

I was going to recommend the CLA Waves Vocal  plugin.

 Also, I have used the Joey Sturgis (Howard Benson Vocal Plugin)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iv'e just been told Izotope Nectar 3, anyone used it? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I would also take a look at Softube's Console emulations:
https://www.softube.com/products

I love the British Class A (Neve) for vocals, bass and guitar.

It has a broad strokes Eq, but a musical one, and a great compressor.

The American Class A (API) is also very good.

The Summit has a gentle tone to it, but with some vibe.

The Tube Tech is based on its original Danish design, and has a little bit "modern" and "glossy" sound to it.

The Chandler also sounds very good.

None of these are cheap, but they offer Demo's for all their products, so I would check them out, if you find it interesting.

All the best.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, whoisp said:

Iv'e just been told Izotope Nectar 3, anyone used it? 

 

Yes. I get on with it just fine. 

Great for rock vocals.

J

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be difficult to duplicate exactly the Cakewalk VX64 since it has several things many other vocal strips do not have like doubling, a very detailed EQ, delay and a compander. Others might have some of these but I don't believe I've seen one with all of it.

VX64 is a solid plugin most of the time. This has me questioning what could be causing you issues and wondering if a computer or software setting might fix it.? I even accidentally discovered it works in Cubase. 

I sometimes use Waves JJP Vocals. When I use it, I only use the settings in small amounts. Like the VX64, it has plenty of presets to get you started.

Ideally I would use hardware if I could. Once again ideally, a good mic and a good pre amp (and someone who can actually sing) always helps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, whoisp said:

Hi Guys

Iv'e used the VX64 Cakewalk vocal strip, its a great plugin however can cause some dropout issues. Does anyone know of something along the same lines that's solid. I have developed my own Vocal strip FX chain but be nice just to use one plugin. cheers P

 

Whosip,

👍👍👍👍

I downloaded a trial of the Joe Chiccarelli Vocal Strip  and fell in love with it.   Oh my goodness, it sounds wonderful with the IK Sunset Sound Studio Reverb and the IK Tape machine 440.  That combination after some gentle compression and subtle EQ, depending on the vocals, will be part of my my NEW Vocal Chain.

Purchasing now using whatever Jam Points I am allowed to use for part of the purchase. 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jesse g said:

Whosip,

👍👍👍👍

I downloaded a trial of the Joe Chiccarelli Vocal Strip  and fell in love with it.   Oh my goodness, it sounds wonderful with the IK Sunset Sound Studio Reverb and the IK Tape machine 440.  That combination after some gentle compression and subtle EQ, depending on the vocals, will be part of my my NEW Vocal Chain.

Purchasing now using whatever Jam Points I am allowed to use for part of the purchase. 😁

Yes i was thinking of purchasing myself, but was looking at  Izotope Nectar 3 and a few others or seeing what ive missed. I just want to make sure i am happy with something first and then its job done. Joe's vocal strip is best ive seen so far, a better all round flexible sounds and proper GUI more about using it than fancy knobs.  Joe vocal clients are very impressive, so i am guessing he big in the industry and his expertise with analogue preamps etc seems more real than just another plugin company, which is swaying me.  

I am just undecided if to build my own vocal strip or go for something like this what Joe created. I currently build my own with cakewalk compressors on pro channel PC 4K and 76 are good enough to be honest, plus the built in Vocal presents FX Chain you can tweak for great results. So if i am spending money i think its better to buy a all in one instead of singles. i also use limiter No6 which is surprising good for free plugin along with cakewalk exciter or soft tube sat, so cakewalk you can get real pro quality end product for sure. The only paid comp i use autoformer as i like the preamp harmonics it gives with some saturation and i use Ozone 9 elements to tweak eq with cakewalk quad pro channel eq, i use them both sometimes to de-esser. i just think the Breverb in cakewalk is amazing so why buy one and the built in delays are enough to do any delay, so i think its better to just get a vocal strip.  

Ive looks at CLA which is very simple and the JJP Vocals even more basic both by waves.  EZ mix is not my cup of tea, fact cakewalk does better job than any of those ive look at apart from Joe Vocal Strip seems to be miles better. What do you think of it 

should i spend some cash 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, whoisp said:

 Joe Vocal Strip seems to be miles better. What do you think of it 

should i spend some cash 

Whosip,

As I said, after using the trial version of it on several previous mixes I did in the past, I immediately purchased it from IK Multimedia using some of my Jam points and added it to my vocal chain of plugins.  It is an extremely good plugin to have in the arsenal. I haven't really focused much on obtaining a bunch of vocal plugins besides the standard compressors, reverb, delay,  eq's and saturation plugins, but that Joe Chiccarelli Vocal Strip is the one.  Truth be told, I used the Joey Sturgis (Howard Benson Vocal Plugin) a few times and I just let it fall by the wayside because I was not really feeling it. 

Thanks for introducing me to Joe Chiccarelli Vocal Strip!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jesse g said:

Whosip,

As I said, after using the trial version of it on several previous mixes I did in the past, I immediately purchased it from IK Multimedia using some of my Jam points and added it to my vocal chain of plugins.  It is an extremely good plugin to have in the arsenal. I haven't really focused much on obtaining a bunch of vocal plugins besides the standard compressors, reverb, delay,  eq's and saturation plugins, but that Joe Chiccarelli Vocal Strip is the one.  Truth be told, I used the Joey Sturgis (Howard Benson Vocal Plugin) a few times and I just let it fall by the wayside because I was not really feeling it. 

Thanks for introducing me to Joe Chiccarelli Vocal Strip!!!

Yes i don't think there is anything going to be any better, seems i found a little gem there, it is just not sold at pluginboutique which is my account i use so probably a direct buy 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The price of the plugin was $129.99 as an introductory price until May 31 arrived.  Now the price is back to the original price of $159.99.  if you hang on a while, you could see the price come back down again or if you have an IK Multimedia account, use saved Jam points like I did.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2022 at 9:46 AM, Tim Smith said:

It would be difficult to duplicate exactly the Cakewalk VX64 since it has several things many other vocal strips do not have like doubling, a very detailed EQ, delay and a compander. Others might have some of these but I don't believe I've seen one with all of it.

This. The only one I can think of is Eventide UltraChannel. It has the transformer emulation, doubling (pitch shift as well as time shift), delay, parametric graphical (rather than knob) EQ, and de-esser. I got it for free as an introductory deal years ago. I tend to forget what a great-sounding powerhouse it is. I got into individual effects as I was learning the basics (which I still am!).

I think of the VX64 as a multieffect rather than a channel strip, because it goes beyond the usual channel strip. Most channel strips keep to the analog emulation, compressor, and knob EQ. The classic Eventide pitch shifting doubler alone is great to have.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have the Waves Maserati VX1 Vocal Enhancer Plug-in.  I don't use it much but it is one to consider for $29.99 at Waves.

maserati-vx1.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

This. The only one I can think of is Eventide UltraChannel. It has the transformer emulation, doubling (pitch shift as well as time shift), delay, parametric graphical (rather than knob) EQ, and de-esser. I got it for free as an introductory deal years ago. I tend to forget what a great-sounding powerhouse it is. I got into individual effects as I was learning the basics (which I still am!).

I think of the VX64 as a multieffect rather than a channel strip, because it goes beyond the usual channel strip. Most channel strips keep to the analog emulation, compressor, and knob EQ. The classic Eventide pitch shifting doubler alone is great to have.

249.00 and you got it for free.

Dang!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

249.00 and you got it for free.

Dang!

Probably on sale from time to time, but yeah, score. About 5 Waves plug-ins' worth. My first experience with PACE licensing, and it made me wonder what all the fuss was about! It only took half a dozen years before I had any serious hassle with it. All sorted now, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...