Deskew releases Gig Performer 4.5 - Plugin hosting software

cclarry

Deskew has upgraded their plugin host Gig Performer, to version 4.5, and it has a host of new features and improvements.

New Features:

Recording: Gig Performer can now record audio **outputs*to files.

The recording system now supports recording stereo to a single file for both input and output.

Widgets attached to CC controllers, using the new **Follow Hardware*property can now automatically update to the controller value when you switch rackspaces.

Widgets can now be hidden when not in edit mode.

Widgets now support various relative CC modes.

Widgets now support MIDI Thru.

Implemented ability for users to change the font size of racskpace, variation, song and song part names in the left hand lists.

Some widget operations are now accessible in non-edit mode by holding the shift down and clicking on a widget. They include some scaling options, the ability to open the associated plugin editor, and quick access to the widget inspector.

Blocks can now be inserted into an Audio/MIDI path automatically by holding down the SHIFT key while dragging the block over the connection wires. Shift-dragging an already inserted block will remove it.

Audio Options: you can now export JUST the audio settings and import them back in again – this makes it easier to support multiple audio configurations.

The Global MIDI Monitor can now optionally display outgoing messages.

You can now centrally define named OSC targets and use those names wherever OSC is available including GPScript.

Added ability to copy selected entries in the plugin manager to the clipboard in CSV format.

GP Script improvements.

Improvements:

Added a button in the ChordPro window to enable or disable automatic image sizing.

Holding the shift key down while opening the block popup menu adds new functions like "Duplicate with inputs" (The purpose of this needs explaining – it's mainly useful for FOH).

Holding the SHIFT down while dragging a connection from a mono plugin will create a double connection to a stero one.

Recording: Added a button that opens the recordings folder for quick access.

You are now warned if you try to clear the plugin list – the goal being to prevent accidental removal of all plugins from the manager.

Added a modification to work around buggy IK Multimedia plugins that process MIDI data but do not announce that they can process MIDI data to the host.

Implemented methods to prevent or reduce the chance of accidental widget movement when using a mouse wheel to scroll the panels.

GP now saves and restores the global transpose amount for each gig file.

ChordPro: added textcolor and textweight directives.

Added ability for text in a label widget to be positioned in 9 positions rather than just being centred as well as ability to change the font color.

Users can now drag and drop a widget between panels (works for single widgets only).

PC Assignments in "All Songs" setlist will now automatically be copied when a song gets added to a new setlist.

Song Part PC assignments can now be globally changed/applied.

Added new menu option to copy PC assignments from "All Songs" to all other setlists.

New Gig and New Gig from template are now in a submenu.

OSC Subsystem now warns you if it can't listen to the specified port.

Audio Options: holding SHIFT key down while clicking on an input or output channel checkbox will set all of them to the inverse of the one you selected.

The upgrade is free of charge for owners of Gig Performer 4.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/gig-performer-4-5-by-deskew-technologies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Wonder if/when this is available through PA.

image.png.73218621e85ff8bce93ddbb114a79fb9.png

Ah... the joy of owning the PA version - cost less/less updates.
Maybe PA will surprise me and offer it before v5 comes out.  Maybe Santa will bring me a pony.  Not sure which is more likely...

Edited by TheSteven
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

PA has updated the new gig templates from the previous version, but they don't currently make use of the Global Rackspace.

PA 4.1.5:

Guitar:

• Wide Range of Guitar Tones

Bass:

• PA Bass Amps

Keyboards:

• Various Synths

PA 4.5.8:

Guitar:

• Acoustic Guitar
  • Electric Guitar

Bass:

• All PA Bass Amps
  • AMPEG Bass with Effects

Keyboards:

• Thorn, LION and bx_oberhausen
  • Layers, Splits, Effect
  • Piano with FX and splits

Vocals (new):

• Vocals with FX

FOH (new):

• Front Of House Starting Points

Edited by ALC

BTW, the Deskew version of Gig Performer installs:

• TH-U Gig Performer (guitar amp)
  • Lostin70s
    • BassDeluxe1 (bass amp)
    • DevilSpring (spring reverb)
    • HaNonB70 (organ)
    • ModernDeluxe2 (guitar amp)
    • Keysofthe70s (keys)
    • ToneDeluxe2 (guitar amp)

The PA version installs none of the above--it uses PA's plugins, so if you don't have the plugin, the template is broken.

It may be worth installing the Deskew version to get the original templates.  During the evaluation, I loaded all the templates and resaved them as gig files that I can load in the PA version.  I find that the templates are a bit more developed (GUI-wise) than the PA templates (at least w.r.t. the global rack).

Nevertheless, getting Gig Performer from PA was a great bargain (when I finally was able to snag it at $30.99).  Much better than $199 direct from Deskew.

Edited by ALC

59 minutes ago, smde said:

Is it possible to do audio in or out to multiple audio devices at the same time in Gig Performer like the Caster app from Gingeraudio does?

On MacOS, you can create aggregate devices (supported by the OS).  On Windows, it's not so simple (i.e. maybe, if you have identical devices using the same driver that has support for multiple devices, or you use one device just for input and the other just for output).

https://gigperformer.com/docs/userguide/optionsaudiosetup.html

Output Device – Select the audio output device you want to use. If you’re running Gig Performer on a Mac OSX system and have created any Aggregate Devices (consisting of multiple interfaces) in the Audio MIDI Setup utility, they will appear here as options as well. 

Input Device – Select the audio input device you want to use. If you’re running Gig Performer on a Mac OS X system and have created any Aggregate Devices (consisting of multiple interfaces) in the Audio MIDI Setup utility, they will appear here as options as well.

Edited by ALC

15 hours ago, ALC said:

It may be worth installing the Deskew version to get the original templates.  During the evaluation, I loaded all the templates and resaved them as gig files that I can load in the PA version.  I find that the templates are a bit more developed (GUI-wise) than the PA templates (at least w.r.t. the global rack).

Thanks for the tip!  I'm curious as to whether these saved gigs will continue to work after the Demo expires and/or whether you have to keep both versions installed to continue use?  Time will tell I suppose.

EDIT: I also wonder if there is a way to merge the two single Template files into one providing templates from both the PA and Deskew versions.  I can open the files in Notebook but don't have the first clue as to how to proceed. 

Edited by Fwrend

2 hours ago, Fwrend said:

Thanks for the tip!  I'm curious as to whether these saved gigs will continue to work after the Demo expires and/or whether you have to keep both versions installed to continue use?  Time will tell I suppose.

EDIT: I also wonder if there is a way to merge the two single Template files into one providing templates from both the PA and Deskew versions.  I can open the files in Notebook but don't have the first clue as to how to proceed. 

Since I’m able to load it up in the PA version, it doesn’t depend upon the authorization of the Dealer version.  As long as you have the dependencies installed (TH-U, Lost in 70s), then the gig files should work.

Good idea re: merging the template.  I couldn’t find the Template file for the Deskew version.  Let me know what path it’s at.

Edited by ALC

1 hour ago, ALC said:

Since I’m able to load it up in the PA version, it doesn’t depend upon the authorization of the Dealer version.  As long as you have the dependencies installed (TH-U, Lost in 70s), then the gig files should work.

Good idea re: merging the template.  I couldn’t find the Template file for the Deskew version.  Let me know what path it’s at.

I assume uninstalling the DEMO version would also delete those dependencies/sounds?

I found the Deskew version of the gp.templates file in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Gig Performer\Templates
The PA version is in C:\Program Files\Plugin Alliance\Gig Performer 4

Edited by Fwrend
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fwrend said:

I assume uninstalling the DEMO version would also delete those dependencies/sounds?

I found the Deskew version of the gp.templates file in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Gig Performer\Templates

And on Mac is:

Deskew: /Users/Shared/Gig Performer/Templates/
PA: /Applications/Plugin Alliance/Gig Performer 4/

Also, the installer of the Deskew GP is way bigger, cause it installes the Lost in 70s and TH-U plugins. (800MB vs 173MB on PA version)

Edited by Walter Cruz
spelling
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fwrend said:

34 minutes ago, Walter Cruz said:

And on Mac is:

Deskew: /Users/Shared/Gig Performer/Templates/
PA: /Applications/Plugin Alliance/Gig Performer 4/

Also, the installer of the Deskew GP is way bigger, cause it installes the Lost in 70s and TH-U plugins. (800MB vs 173MB on PA version)

Thanks!  I had found the PA gp.templates but didn't find the other one.  Looks like the file is XML, so it's just a matter of merging the two.

I would just leave the Deskew version in place since the size of the app itself without the dependencies is relatively small.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:59 PM, ALC said:

On MacOS, you can create aggregate devices (supported by the OS).  On Windows, it's not so simple (i.e. maybe, if you have identical devices using the same driver that has support for multiple devices, or you use one device just for input and the other just for output).

https://gigperformer.com/docs/userguide/optionsaudiosetup.html

I have tried aggregate device. I was thinking if I could do it without the aggregate device. Any other software other than Caster app from Gingeraudio for mac that would do multiple audio devices without using aggregate device? 

Edited by smde

I was able to merge the two gp.templates files.  I just copied the contents between <GPTEMPLATEBUNDLE> and </GPTEMPLATEBUNDLE> to right before </GPTEMPLATEBUNDLE> of the other file.  Then I searched for "<CATEGORY" (starting with the 2nd "Guitar") and prepended "PA " to the title.

This resulted in Keyboards/Guitar/Bass/Vocals/Cool-Stuff/PA Guitar/PA Bass/PA Keyboards/PA Vocals/PA FOH top level template categories.

On my Mac, doing testing on the templates, I discovered that only TH-U VST (and not AU or VST3) was installed, so I had to enable it to make the Deskew Guitar templates work (I usually disable the AU and VST plugins if VST3 works).

Update: same on Windows.  GP installer only  installs TH-U VST and not VST3.  If you download the TH-U (eval) package from Overlord, you can install the standalone TH-U and VST3 plugin.

1544305710_ScreenShot2022-07-12at8_47_04PM.thumb.png.53cc4894e9ea9d410e28033c380c07c6.png

Edited by ALC
Added screen shot
  • Thanks 2

On 7/9/2022 at 12:46 AM, ALC said:

Nevertheless, getting Gig Performer from PA was a great bargain (when I finally was able to snag it at $30.99).  Much better than $199 direct from Deskew.

The $199 deal includes both Mac + Windows versions (3+3 activations). But not just that... Deskew responds to support tickets extremely fast and the community is amazing.  

2 hours ago, Infinitum said:

The $199 deal includes both Mac + Windows versions (3+3 activations). But not just that... Deskew responds to support tickets extremely fast and the community is amazing.  

The PA version also allows activation on both Windows and Mac (3 total, I think, though not 3 + 3).  I’m happy to be able to use it on both operating systems.

On 7/9/2022 at 3:54 PM, Fwrend said:

I'm curious as to whether these saved gigs will continue to work after the Demo expires 

Saved gig files are saved gig files, i.e. they have nothing to do with the trial expiration. You can open every gig file that was created when using a trial on the fully licensed Gig Performer.

There is no point in merging templates, just google for "Gig and Rackspace files", and you'll find 100+ downloadable files created by GP community users. 

As for the routing options on Windows, check the Gig Performer blog, one of recent articles wrote about single-client drivers and routing audio to different places.

5 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Saved gig files are saved gig files

EDIT: my point was that the saved gig files would call up VST's provided by the Deskew version but aren't included in the PA version and whether those provided plugs would expire along with the demo version. 

Edited by Fwrend