Mega Sampler is HERE!

cclarry

18 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Live now!Β  No price?

Possibly it's only available if you take a subscription with them?

Missed opportunity in my opinion - they could have made the sampler available to use, but lock down access to the online sample pool.

25 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Live now!Β  No price?

Mac Only... no Windows yet

Not selling on its own .. it comes FREE withΒ THE MEGA, MIX & MASTER, ESSENTIAL AND MUSICIAN BUNDLES .. whichΒ are monthly sub bundles @ $24.99 Per Month

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/mega_sampler.html

It sounds pretty much like LOOPCLOUD which I pay about $90pa for

There marketing of this is crap. eg No mention at the site front page banners. Almost as if they are hiding it

Β 

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Grem said:

Me too!!

LOL!!

Me three 🀣

I'm not at all disappointed they made it subscription only. It means I have no need to install it, it check it out.

I can't see it ever getting the widespread adoption that Kontakt has with 3rd party libraries, especially as a sub. The inbuilt effects look handy, but I have the ones I like to use from them and I can't see it really competing any time soon with the likes of Loopcloud, or Splice, etc.

They would've been smarter to release it non sub to get adoption.

Not installed πŸ˜‰

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MusicMan said:

it ever getting the widespread adoption that Kontakt

This may be the reason it's subscription only. To appease those with subs (feeling they getting something special/restricted). And to appease NI who is not looking for competition from anyone, let alone a partner of theirs. I suspect that this may have been part of the "Partnership" deal made between PA and NI.

Β 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MusicMan said:

I can't see it ever getting the widespread adoption that Kontakt has with 3rd party libraries, especially as a sub

My impression is that this MEGA Sampler is not intended to be an alternative to Kontakt, with polished multi-sampled instrument libraries. Rather more like the Waves CR8 sampler, with a library subscription that a producer can use to access & drop selected samples into their session. Well suited for DJ style productions, but could actually be used for anything as a sound design tool.

NI should be fine! :)

• Like 1

It looks like a different beast from Kontakt: Kontakt is a deep sampler that 'plays' like an instrument; this looks more like a sound/loop player with an integrated online library of sounds (no disrespect - right tool for the right job). I suspect there could be three reasons why this is sub-only:

• It 'contains' all of PA's plugins, so selling this separately could be seen as a 'cheat' way to get their plugins
  • It's too hard to decouple plugin access from online library access
  • It's aimed at people who are likely to accept subs: people that like to buy plugins would probably go for Kontakt, which can most likely do what this can and more.

Of course, this is just speculation on my part - it could be that none of the above are true.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, antler said:

I suspect there could be three reasons why this is sub-only:

• It 'contains' all of PA's plugins, so selling this separately could be seen as a 'cheat' way to get their plugins

This would be valid if the Mega Sampler was only available in the MEGA subscription, but it is also available in the other subset subscriptions and Forever 29.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 2:31 AM, Grem said:

This may be the reason it's subscription only. To appease those with subs (feeling they getting something special/restricted). And to appease NI who is not looking for competition from anyone, let alone a partner of theirs. I suspect that this may have been part of the "Partnership" deal made between PA and NI.

Β 

Very solid points Grem and I would definitely not at all be surprised if they played a big part.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:28 AM, abacab said:

My impression is that this MEGA Sampler is not intended to be an alternative to Kontakt, with polished multi-sampled instrument libraries. Rather more like the Waves CR8 sampler, with a library subscription that a producer can use to access & drop selected samples into their session. Well suited for DJ style productions, but could actually be used for anything as a sound design tool.

NI should be fine! :)

NI is indirectly fine regardless now due to the merger πŸ™ƒ

I'd agree, that positioning might make some sense. Even Waves CR8 can be used without a subscription though (I think, I didn't bother trying it) and I can't believe I'm going to say this .. but that might give Waves the edge 🀣

I'm terms of the DJ side, the digital mixers, DDJs and digital turntables generally come with built in samplers and looping and connect to DJ pools, or downloaded content. Ableton Live seems to be common for those that want more outside of that, so my thoughts are they won't be big there.

I'm sure they'll get quite a few people though, both indirectly that have the sub for other reasons and those where it may sweeten the subscriptions to get them over the line, but they're going to miss out on a huge market unnecessarily, which makes their road harder.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:31 AM, antler said:

It looks like a different beast from Kontakt: Kontakt is a deep sampler that 'plays' like an instrument; this looks more like a sound/loop player with an integrated online library of sounds (no disrespect - right tool for the right job). I suspect there could be three reasons why this is sub-only:

• It's too hard to decouple plugin access from online library access
  • It's aimed at people who are likely to accept subs: people that like to buy plugins would probably go for Kontakt, which can most likely do what this can and more.

Of course, this is just speculation on my part - it could be that none of the above are true.

I think you're right on it being a different beast to Kontakt. Even though they're both samplers. Kontakt isn't as loop focused at all. Many libraries are loop focused for it, but I never really consider it for that. Loops I'd just use Cubase personally.

I'm terms of online library, I don't see any issues with that and I think the more options the better πŸ™‚

They do already have a number of synths that include some of the PA plugins in the same rack type interface, so I'm not sure that's it, as you can just buy them.

Decoupling should be easy, at least it's no trouble at all for Loopcloud. That supports both local samples/loops and online library.

I think you're on the money with the last point. Maybe they don't care about sales, or adoption of it, it's just a marketing / advertising thing to get people over the line with subs.

All good food for thought πŸ™‚

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 5:29 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

Mega Sampler is essentially PAs version of LOOPCLOUD .. JustΒ go over to loopcloud and try that :DΒ .. same idea & its a sub too but cheaper. Ha all the EFX etc plus the inbuilt tracks and so on

So what i am saying is if Loopcloud never attracted you, then this will not either

Nailed it πŸ™‚

Loopcloud is sub, but you can stop your subscription at any time and still use it for any packs, or samples you've bought, even packs you paid for, or got free on Loopmasters. You can also use it for local samples and loops without a sub too. But I think you need at least one month sub to be able to add and scan all your local libraries initially.

You're right too.. Loopcloud does actually have a lot of built in effects!

Loopcloud seems like the clear winner between the two so far.

• Like 1