General Windows Question of Interest with Cakewalk

Sridhar Raghavan

Question

I find myself taking screen shots where I need to capture Context Menus.

Hitting Print-Screen captures the whole desktop and then I have to use Paint.Net to crop it.
I can use Alt-PrintScreen to capture just the cakewalk Window. But it is not possible to capture the Context Menu this way.

I wonder if there is some other way to capture Cakewalk Windows and Context Menu using some Key Sequence (like Shift, Control and Print Screen) ?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

14 answers to this question

Windows 10 introduced the snipping tool: WINDOWS KEY+SHIFT+S

Unfortunately, in most applications with context menus, they close before capture due to the interrupt from the low ASCII key stroke.

Print Screen is a dedicated key, and therefore doesn't send an interrupt. 
Probably still your best option.😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you press the Windows key and PRT Screen It saves a screen shot to your Picture Folder and then I open them with the windows photo viewer. you can edit the pictures  real fast. Mostly I just crop them. 

I still prefer using Paint to add text but you can draw arrows or circle things in the default Windows Photo view 

• Like 1

I also use Alt+PrScr and do cropping (and markup) in MS Paint.  In fact it is so automatic, I don't even have to think about it. But reassigning the PrtScr key to use the snipping tool sounds quite handy. I rarely need to take a screen shot of both monitors.  Thanks for the tips!

UPDATE:   Way Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!   Snip and Ctrl+V into MS Paint for markup!!!  Thanks also to @Sridhar Raghavan for asking!!!

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

Actually one of the problems with Windows/prntscrn is it does take a screenshot of both monitors.
But because I have a shortcut to the screenshot picture folder on my desktop it’s real easy to take the shot, open the folder, open with the default picture viewer which I have set to using “Photos “. Which has some basic editing tools built in like crop. 

giphy.gif

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

All thanks so much for creating such a wonderful knowledge base of tips related to my original simple question. 

Wow! Truly wonderful to have you folks here, sharing your insightful tips, generously and FAST. 
I am certain this will make for richer  posts and responses - to the adage "a picture is worth thousand words".  

Cheers

P.S. Admin/Staff/All Can you suggest a Good Title for the Original post, and location, so this thread  can be easily found by others?

Edited by Sridhar Raghavan
Title and Location Change Request
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

Actually one of the problems with Windows/prntscrn is it does take a screenshot of both monitors.

Actually, its only a problem if you don't want a screen shot of both monitors.  There have been times when I wanted both.  If it never included both that would be a worse problem than cropping.  

Just to be clear in case you misinterpreted, 

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

. . . reassigning the PrtScr key to use the snipping tool sounds quite handy. I rarely need to take a screen shot of both monitors.

does not mean the PrtScr key is problematic to me.  It is child's play to crop a two-screen shot.  It would require more steps if someone had to take separate screenshots of each monitor and paste them together.  

Edited by User 905133
to clarify a possible misinterpretation of an earlier post
  • Like 1

The big difference for me is the Windows key doesn’t close dialogue boxes when pressed. The Alt key usually does. 
And yes the dual monitor capture is not an issue for me I shouldn’t have said problem. I rarely need it in the capture but I always crop every screenshot anyway to get rid of the clutter