pre-roll record

Eezye

22 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

This isn't what the OP was getting at but you're the expert, I'll let you take it from here.

As you wish. Master. 

This is what his post reads: 

"would be nice to have a pre-roll record function, like studio one has. you can specify a number of beats/bars that will play before the playhead marker sets record so that you can hear the track(s) up to the record point... makes it easier to play along to the music for punch and rolling. basically, this is exactly the same as when a producer plays a track and manually punches you in while it plays, but enables to you to do it when you are tracking yourself."

The document reads. 

2019456059_Cake1.png.9f895d451e3ac79f56dcbf118226ec62.png

Edited by Will.

7 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

To actually clarify what people are talking about in this thread, without all of the bickering and stupid crap, I'm going to assume @Eezye meant the following:

Scenario 1 example:

While the transport is stopped, you have your Now Time on measure 20, and you've set a pre-roll of 2 measures. You press R to record, and playback starts from measure 18, and actually begins recording from measure 20, and continues until you press stop.

Scenario 2 example:

Essentially this is Auto-Punch but doesn't stop. You choose the measure you want the punch to activate, let Cakewalk play from wherever, and it kicks in to record from that measure, but continues until it's stopped or taken out of record mode manually.

These are both different to the metronome count-in because that only plays the metronome before the transport starts, ie: you're not actually hearing the music so you can play along with it.

Is this all correct?

I can see the use for Scenario 1, it'd save a couple of keystrokes or dropping markers to help identify the places where you'd want to start the transport to give you enough time to get ready to sing or play your phrase.

Although if I was intending to do this stuff without taking my hands off of my instrument, I would tend to set up a MIDI foot controller and map it to the transport buttons and just let it play from a few measures back. This is doable today, with the caveat that you have to find your lead in yourself before you start recording.

But as it stands, actual pre-roll as described above is not in Cakewalk.

This is EXACTLY it. This would simply things a lot for many and it seems easy to implement

13 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

there's a chance that there's some old code/design that makes it not such an easy change here 🤷‍♂️

no. this can be achieved by simple automation. there is no need to change an old code. you're just adding something to existing ones.

Edited by murat k.

20 minutes ago, Will. said:

I'm going to keep saying this, what Cakewalk has, is pre roll auto punch. It only uses a different language than other DAWs. 

As i said way earlier in the thread, it has a clunky workaround. Just want a simplified version (which technically has an added function)

• 1 year later...

Chiming in because this was just called to my attention in another topic and it sounds like a very useful feature.

Sounds like a large number of other DAW's have it, sounds like people making the switch to Cakewalk Sonar might be disappointed not to find it.

I do anticipate people who come up with the coolest licks they've ever played during that 2 measure pre-roll to beg for an option to have Sonar record it anyway in case their genius light accidentally comes on. 😄

• Like 1

For years, I have used this workaround:

1. Set the record mode to Sound on Sound:

image.png.c9a8c6aca17682393da89a25f3f96f15.png

2. Delete the portion of the clip you want to re-do by left-dragging the mouse across it, then press <DELETE>. Example in take lane view:

image.png.ebb5ca3ecb37de1e93bf8976a809f5f6.png

3. Click the mouse to set the Now time two or three measures before the deleted part, and start recording. You will hear the previous recording up to the part you deleted. During this time, anything you play will be recorded alongside the original. When you reach the deleted part, recording will continue, but you will not be distracted by the old recording. If you want, continue performing past the end of the deleted portion.

4. If you recorded anything during the two- or three-measure "pre-roll" (or after the end of the deleted section), the old and new clips will overlap. You can cross-fade these for a smooth transition.

For me, this is a little quicker than using the built-in punch-in feature, and allows me to record before the part I am re-doing, as in a pre-roll. I find it especially useful when "punching in" a piano part if the sound never completely pauses even for an instant. A careful cross-fade yields a seamless recording.

When cross-fading the overlapping clips, take lanes help a lot because they let me see the individual clips one above the other instead of superimposed.