pre-roll record

Eezye

On 6/7/2022 at 9:18 PM, Eezye said:

It is absolutely a huge workflow improvement. Tracking parts more specifically, or writing on the fly while recording etc

I wouldn't go as far as to say its a "HUGE" improvement.

Though I hear what you're saying. I've used it before, in fact just recently when a pianist asked for it using logic pro in the main studio. I wouldn't use it myself, i really dont see the point in it - but it would be nice to have the option when collaborating with other producers/beatmakers and when artists from other labels ask for it. 

But to say it is an improvement - NOPE. It would rather be "Beneficial" to have it as an option available in case it gets asked for. 

Edited by Will.

2 hours ago, Will. said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say its a "HUGE" improvement.

Though I hear what you're saying. I've used it before, in fact just recently when a pianist asked for it using logic pro in the main studio. I wouldn't use it myself, i really dont see the point in it - but it would be nice to have the option when collaborating with other producers/beatmakers and when artists from other labels ask for it. 

But to say it is an improvement - NOPE. It would rather be "Beneficial" to have it as an option available in case it gets asked for. 

i would consider it a HUGE improvement. any time i don't have to use a workaround to get the desired action, that is a time savings. and as you pointed out with the logic example, this is a standard feature on many DAWs now. it hugely speeds up recording when you are the one engineering and tracking alone. as far as "what's the point", it's much easier to get a good take if you play along to the track a few beats/bars before recording starts... and without preroll record, you have to set region points (one being many many measures back depending on the length of the section being recorded and then click back with the mouse before the region to get this type of behavior. with the option baked in, you only need to set the bars/beats in the menu and hit R wherever the playhead is located. so much easier

Edited by Eezye

26 minutes ago, Eezye said:

i would consider it a HUGE improvement. any time i don't have to use a workaround to get the desired action, that is a time savings. and as you pointed out with the logic example, this is a standard feature on many DAWs now. it hugely speeds up recording when you are the one engineering and tracking alone. as far as "what's the point", it's much easier to get a good take if you play along to the track a few beats/bars before recording starts... and without preroll record, you have to set region points (one being many many measures back depending on the length of the section being recorded and then click back with the mouse before the region to get this type of behavior. with the option baked in, you only need to set the bars/beats in the menu and hit R wherever the playhead is located. so much easier

So you have a timing issue? (No disrespect) Cause I get good results on the first take with a count-in. I set a permanent 4beat count-in on one measure before the actual recording starts and nail it then and there. Its less mouse clicks. I just press Alt&R to arm the track and hit R when im ready to record. What ever I want to record - i always make sure it is stuck in my head. 

Like i've said: I do not see it as a "HUGE" improvement but only as a "Beneficial" option to have for those that finds it difficult to nail things on the first go with a "count-in." 

PS: I just tested this in CbB and there dont seem to be any difference. What are you actually requesting? I even watched your video. 

31 minutes ago, Eezye said:

So you have a timing issue? (No disrespect) Cause I get good results on the first take with a count-in. I set a permanent 4beat count-in on one measure before the actual recording starts and nail it then and there. Its less mouse clicks. I just press Alt&R to arm the track and hit R when im ready to record. What ever I want to record - i always make sure it is stuck in my head. 

Like i've said: I do not see it as a "HUGE" improvement but only as a "Beneficial" option to have for those that finds it difficult to nail things on the first go with a "count-in." 

PS: I just tested this in CbB and there dont seem to be any difference. What are you actually requesting? I even watched your video. 

1 hour ago, Will. said:

im requesting the playhead go back a preset number of beats or bars before the recording actually starts. so for example, if you set "2 measures" in the option menu for preroll, it would play 2 bars before where the playhead is located, and start recording once it reaches the playhead. that way, you can play along to the actual tracks before it starts recording. its exactly the same as if someone was punching you in manually, usually setting the playtime a few bars beforehand so you can smoothly punch in. this is a much more natural way of punching, and you don't have to mess with region markers in this case. plenty of people here understand what the option is and why it's useful. and no, it's not a timing issue. it's just a smoother and more inspiring punch in, without having to worry where your punch OUT point is because there isn't one. it's ok if you don't understand it, i'm not completely sure i can explain it in any other way at this point. look at "preroll" in reaper/cubase/studio one or study the one that is apparently in logicpro. that option is what im looking for here. it is funny to me how some people here are so against new functionality... i'm not asking for a visual change, or anything else trivial. this is a big improvement with little effort

Edited by Eezye

31 minutes ago, Eezye said:

im requesting the playhead go back a preset number of beats or bars before the recording actually starts. 

I think your confusion comes with the pop-up windows in STOne and the Preference Window in Cakewalk. 

Use the shortcut keys Ctrl-W to toggle between the desired playhead options. 

Otherwise: 

1015120367_RightClick.jpg.5bf06daea4eecfe95aad60de881eefe0.jpg

Pretty much the same as in STOne and Logic. 

Edited by Will.

32 minutes ago, Eezye said:

It's ok if you don't understand it, 

Pretty sure this applies to you at this point. 

Cause If you go into the preferences and the metronome TAB what you're looking for is there. Then locate the record TAB and select Auto Punch and make some changes there. 

Different DAWs = different way of setting things up 

Just like every country that has its own language. The same goes for DAWS and analog consoles. It does the same thing, but the approach to get there is different.

1 hour ago, Will. said:

Infact: I take back my previous reply about it would beneficial to have it, cause it just dawn on me now, Cakewalk has been doing this way before STOne. 

I just never use it because i find it of no use. 

what is it you are doing here? it looks to me you are hitting record over and over again while its playing back. that is kind of hard for me to do with my hands on a guitar.

and no, the options in the metronome tab are count in beats/measures... as in just the metronome clicking before the start of record. what i want is a playback of all the tracks by a user defined bar/beat before the record point... NOT just the metronome, and also not having to touch the keyboard so i can be actually playing when it happens

Now you're just rambling a lot of BS and making things up. Cause what that Guy explain in that video on "Pre Roll" is exactly as in these videos I have sent. 

At this point I believe you do not know what you want and just making up things everytime. 

No dang difference as he even said he has to go in and out of record by punching it in. 

I believe you're confusing this with step record. 

In the millenial morse code of  @bdickens RTFM! 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, Will. said:

Now you're just rambling a lot of BS and making things up. Cause what that Guy explain in that video on "Pre Roll" is exactly as in these videos I have sent. 

At this point I believe you do not know what you want and just making up things everytime. 

No dang difference as he even said he has to go in and out of record by punching it in. 

I believe you're confusing this with step record. 

In the millenial morse code of  @bdickens RTFM! 

how about you CTFO bro, don't fly off the handle at me because you don't understand things. other people here understood me perfectly well, cakewalk does not offer this function. you have to do a workaround, and it could be so much better with this addition. how about you quit visiting this thread and let those who get it chime in

• Meh 1

27 minutes ago, Eezye said:

how about you CTFO bro, don't fly off the handle at me because you don't understand things. other people here understood me perfectly well, cakewalk does not offer this function. you have to do a workaround, and it could be so much better with this addition. how about you quit visiting this thread and let those who get it chime in

CTFOY "Bro." Trying to help your WBA. Watch your video again. 

Good luck in requesting something that is already available in Cakewalk. 

🍻 Heres to Auto punch, Take Lanes and many more ways to track yourself seemlessly. 😜 

RTFM! 

Edited by Will.

To actually clarify what people are talking about in this thread, without all of the bickering and stupid crap, I'm going to assume @Eezye meant the following:

Scenario 1 example:

While the transport is stopped, you have your Now Time on measure 20, and you've set a pre-roll of 2 measures. You press R to record, and playback starts from measure 18, and actually begins recording from measure 20, and continues until you press stop.

Scenario 2 example:

Essentially this is Auto-Punch but doesn't stop. You choose the measure you want the punch to activate, let Cakewalk play from wherever, and it kicks in to record from that measure, but continues until it's stopped or taken out of record mode manually.

These are both different to the metronome count-in because that only plays the metronome before the transport starts, ie: you're not actually hearing the music so you can play along with it.

Is this all correct?

I can see the use for Scenario 1, it'd save a couple of keystrokes or dropping markers to help identify the places where you'd want to start the transport to give you enough time to get ready to sing or play your phrase.

Although if I was intending to do this stuff without taking my hands off of my instrument, I would tend to set up a MIDI foot controller and map it to the transport buttons and just let it play from a few measures back. This is doable today, with the caveat that you have to find your lead in yourself before you start recording.

But as it stands, actual pre-roll as described above is not in Cakewalk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

To actually clarify what people are talking about in this thread, without all of the bickering and stupid crap, I'm going to assume @Eezye meant the following:

Scenario 1 example:

While the transport is stopped, you have your Now Time on measure 20, and you've set a pre-roll of 2 measures. You press R to record, and playback starts from measure 18, and actually begins recording from measure 20, and continues until you press stop.

Scenario 2 example:

Essentially this is Auto-Punch but doesn't stop. You choose the measure you want the punch to activate, let Cakewalk play from wherever, and it kicks in to record from that measure, but continues until it's stopped or taken out of record mode manually.

You're describing what I have done in both video - with scenario 1 where recording starts and stops Automatically.

Both scenarios are actual pre roll. Cakewalks approach towards this is a little different. 

I even download the Trial version of STOne and followed Every step in the video - It is the same thing. 

This thread is exactly the same as all the many varispeed requests keep being made, but doesn't know that cakewalk actually already can do this. 

Edited by Will.

No, that's Auto-Punch, which is what I was talking about in Scenario 2.

This is not what he's asking about. He wants to say "I want it to play my project for X amount of bars before I start recording, wherever I place my Now Time and stop when I choose," not "I will place my cursor X amount of bars before I want to start and set punch points for where it starts recording" - this is two different things. Basically, this is taking a couple of steps out of the workflow: you set your Pre-Roll for 2 bars, you place your cursor wherever you want (eg: exactly on the start of the verse) and press R. It will automatically give you a 2 bar lead in, playing the project, before recording starts. No need to set punch points, no need for you to set the Now Time 2 bars before when you want to record and hit record manually... you choose a spot and it gives you the lead in.

Cakewalk doesn't do this.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Scenario 1 example:

While the transport is stopped, you have your Now Time on measure 20, and you've set a pre-roll of 2 measures. You press R to record, and playback starts from measure 18, and actually begins recording from measure 20, and continues until you press stop..

My first video. 

Also: 

What is requested here reads as follows: 

1132909221_Cake1.png.a010b7558962e8806454e1ae94a09b1a.png

Plus . . . .

1659852351_Cake2.png.44db17f5e7474188ee44c0ac873ec5f3.png

Edited by Will.