John O'Groats

bjornpdx

John O'Groats

One of my favorite songs is the theme to the movie Local Hero by Mark Knopfler.
Thought I'd try something similar but I found a song I'd already written about a year ago that was almost in the same  mood as the movie IMO. I added to it and came up with this.

Couldn't think of a name so I looked at a map of Scotland and found the town of John O'Groats so named it that.  

NI Strummed Acoustic
NI Electric Sunburst
Indiginus Renaxxance
Bolder Fiddle
Embertone Jubal Flute
Heavyocity Vocalise

Thanks for listening/comments.

-Bjorn

• Like 3

Very well put together....i might add some high end to the strummed guitar, maybe bring up the vocalise....just minor things....overall you nailed the arrangement, choice of instruments and playing of all of them 🎶🎻🎸🎶

• Like 1

This is so calming and wonderful, I really like your instrument choices and how the leads come and go, and blend in spots. Mix is very clear.

My one crit might be I left the tune after having listened to it twice, without being able to recall any particular specific melody line. Do your leads just kind of improv meander without a central theme they are playing off of? Or did I just miss the main hook?

either way it's pretty wonderful.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Bjorn , I Really enjoyed that. Great job on the grace notes on the violin. You nicely captured the "bagpipe" feel using them. I also thought the voice you used from Heavyocity was perfect. She sounded like another well fitting instrument at the start of her passages. Wonderful performance ..   mark

• Like 1

Wookie  thanks for listening and commenting.

KSband and jack c   thanks for the listen

andyB01  thank you.  Ashokan Farewell-there's another song that gets to me every time I hear it.

Larry T - I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

Tom -  I realized I was using three different instruments to play the mostly same melodic line one after the other. Maybe I should do more of the standard verse, verse, chorus verse thing I thought to myself, but after about 40 versions of this I didn't want to start all over. You're correct though and I appreciate the comment.

mark -  it was a lot fun to be able to put those grace notes in there and sound (almost) like a real violin.

Johnbee -  Thanks for the comment

-Bjorn

Really well done Bjorn . . . instruments blend together perfectly, like you knew what you were doing. Now, with a name like Bjorn you're probably not from Scotland, but you have so captured that sound with authenticity, very admirable composition skills . . . and yes, I enjoyed it very much, relaxing at the end of the day.

I hope the O'Groats family gets to hear this :)