IK Multimedia Introduces MODO DRUM - Modeled Drums

Reid Rosefelt

I went as far as having this in my cart during the Pre-Order, but just couldn't bring myself to go through with it. Been waiting to see some of the responses from users (not just initial new toy wowness), but things seem fairly quiet, even the 'initial new toy wowness' comments seem to be almost non existant thus far, yeah I know it's early on, but.

I love MODO Bass, and it replaced Trilian for me as my go too, I juist use it during the creation phase, and always replace with a real Bass guitar, but I am a little hesitant with MODO Drum. I use BFD3 pretty much exclusively, and have pretty much every expansion pack available for it, when Superior 3 came out I just purchased it straight away (which was a little strange even for me as I thought Superior 2 was pretty much crap) I never use Superior 3, it looks good, has some nice stuff, but for me it falls short of what is available with BFD3 in the most important area, that of sound. I own all the usual suspects AD2, EZ2,SD2,SD3 etc, but always go with BFD3 and all the others just sit there unused gathering virtual dust tasking up space (until next reinstall or PC build)

MODO Drum is an interesting proposition being mostly modeled, just don't want to buy something yet again that wont get used, getting old I guess. With no demo available makes it harder, and seemingly not much of a vibe going on about it in the various forums (I know Peter posted a glowing youtube review by someone, but you know . . .).I know it's an individual thing, but for those who have it, what are your thoughts so far, how does it compare to what you already have, do you think it will replace what you already have?

• Like 1

The ability to relocate the samples to a custom directory was sent to the devs who should be adding this to a future release.  Note that you can choose a different drive during the installation process which will locate the samples there, and you can choose your existing locations for each plugin format also during the installation process to keep them where they should be.

The videos I posted from users are independent and have no connection to IK Multimedia.  These are users who are wowed with MODO DRUM and we found these videos just as anyone might through searching.  Just in case that wasn't clear.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:49 AM, Dave Schreier said:

Same here - vst3 crashes CbB - vst2 works though.  I did report to IK with links to the message and dump file.

@Dave Schreier, have you had any progress on the VST3 issue!

it seems the VST3 of MODO Drum works in a new project but I get the same crash when trying to insert it into an older project.

Going to try with the VST2 version to see if I get the same results on an existing project.

11 hours ago, Dave Schreier said:

IK couldn't reproduce the crash and just kind of left it there for now suggesting contacting CW - I have just now.

Seems odd with all the reports of that here, no?

...Dave

OK,

I just tried inserting the VST2 version into a previous project that crashed using the VST3 and the VST2 of MODO Drum loads without crashing!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, ZipCode said:

I know it's an individual thing, but for those who have it, what are your thoughts so far, how does it compare to what you already have, do you think it will replace what you already have?

Anyone?

Last weekend for intro price, and with no demo available (unless I missed it) where I am at now is I'll probably pass, listening to the various sound demos around the place, and trying to take into account any negative aspect of playing the sounds back from a net video 'n all, my opinion is that in the most important part for me, the sound, BFD3 has got it nailed. Really interested to hear from anyone who has it that also has BFD3 and/or SD3, how they would compare, sound mainly, not really interested in comparisons with stuff like AD2 or Ez Drummer 2, I have those also, and well they aren't really in the same league as BFD3 or SD3. As it stands I personally prefer BFD3, SD3 has a nice interface and some nice features, but any of those features that aren't already available in BFD3 don't really interest me, Tap to Find, Replacement etc. I think BFD3 just sounds better, and never use SD3. Also not really concerned about the problems that have been associated with CbB as it's not my DAW of choice.

There doesn't really seem to be a great buzz going on around MODO DRUM at the usual haunts, that in itself may be telling, wasn't quiet like that for the BFD3 or SD3 launch.

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

15 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

Bueller?

Sticking with BFD3 for the same reasons, Zip.  Haven't heard a reason to move at this point but always interested to hear other's opinions.

Yes, nothing has managed to topple BFD3 in my eyes/ears, I have decided not to bother with MODO DRUM at this stage, MODO BASS is great though, after weighing up opinions expressed by users on various forums, and well not exactly being blown away by the sound that I have heard from vids etc, the general lack of buzz from punters surrounding the product, If I was to purchase it, it likely would just be to satiate my GAS, and it would likely never get used (I'm really trying to stop that practice after purchasing Superior 3 on release and never using it)

@Ryan, thank you, yes I have seen those vids, unfortunately I wasn't convinced, I may have a peak when there is a demo, but I am pretty sure I'll be leaving this one on the shelf. I had high hopes when IK let out the word after how good MODO BASS is, it instantly replaced Trilian as my goto for that use case, although playing a real bass still gets the final position.

Maybe later on in development, who knows.

• 3 months later...

MODO DRUM 1.1.0 is available now.

Changes from version 1.0.0:

• Implemented Custom MIDI Mapping section
  • Compatible with macOS Catalina
  • Implemented Equalizer and Mixer Presets
  • Added Perspective selector in the Mixer section
  • Implemented Bus Renaming
  • Enabled Drag & Drop grooves in Cubase
  • Fixed potential Audio Unit crash when inserting MODO Drum with multi output
  • Fixed potential VST3 crash in Bandlab/Cakewalk
  • Fixed Drag & Drop ejecting MODO Drum in Studio One
  • Fixed an issue in FL Studio where MIDI Notes in Piano Roll did not always trigger
  • Fixed an issue where the trigger sync was not synced to DAW
  • General optimizations and bug fixes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1