IK Multimedia Introduces MODO DRUM - Modeled Drums

Reid Rosefelt

3 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

No way I would jump at this at full price.

I am thinking the same thing. I waited on the Modo Bass to come down in price. But it took forever!! In fact I only got it recently when I got the MAX bundle.

Just had 5 min to watch overview and it s really interresting and seems like a workflow sweety ...

anybody tried it ? Is the size 20 gb for real ? I skipped superior for size (and upgrade price lol) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zo said:

Just had 5 min to watch overview and it s really interresting and seems like a workflow sweety ...

anybody tried it ? Is the size 20 gb for real ? I skipped superior for size (and upgrade price lol) 

Zo, I'm still waiting for Peter to reply to my query about what is using the 20Gb.

Maybe he didn't see it as it got buried by other posts?

Hopefully we will get an answer soon.

I am getting the 50 EUR voucher added automatically to my basket when I try to Pre-Order.

When I remove it to use jampoints instead I can briefly see a screen where I can add jampoints but that disappears and it goes back to the "voucher added" screen instead so there is no way I can even use Jampoints instead of the voucher and I have 195 to use up by 1st July!

At least I can use some of them on the tape collection by buying GCs to top up my existing GC and buy it through the Custom Shop.

Edited by ZincT

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I don't think it ships till Aug, this is pre-order.

Ah ok so not even a demo ? 

Pre sale are insitative giving the full price.  But i tend to stay away with experience .... 

1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Yes, 20GB is real (though an estimate, won't be EXACTLY that but close) mostly due as suspected by some due to cymbals being sampled.  Also, there is indeed no demo now as this is a pre-order as I see was pointed out and yes we are looking toward an early August release.

Thanks for confirming Peter.  Must be some great sounding cymbals!

OK, now I'm really intrigued. My biggest headache with SD3 (mostly my own ignorance of drums) is getting that exact sound without endless experimentation, EQ, and other nuanced controls. This looks like a great, straightforward approach to shaping the sound, whether in advance, after the fact, or during playback. Starting to think maybe it's worth $150 after all. I do like Modo bass a lot...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the video, @ZincT and thanks to @Dave Maffris for the kind words and consideration.

Note that for those who were more interested in hearing individual, more dry drum hits should give this video a watch.  You'll get a great idea about how they sound on their own and obviously the focus on how they can be altered.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a ton of questions about MODO Drum, as many probably still do.  Asking a few here in case anyone has heard the answers (or if Peter wants to fill in gaps):

1. Will I be able to use my 3rd party midi files inside the platform (ie: I can organize MIDI files a la SD3 or BFD3) using their directory structure and will there be drum maps to accommodate?
  2. Will IK be releasing new grooves in the future for MODO Drum?
  3. On the Kits & Grooves page for MODO Drum, there is an image that shows ride cymbal choices of Ride 20" IK, Ride 22" IK, Ride 24" IK, Ride 20" Vintage, Ride 22" Vintage. Ride 24" Vintage, Ride 20" Elegance, and Ride 22" Elegance.  That's 2-3 ride cymbals per set.  In their instrument list however, it states that there are 3 cymbal sets that include one ride cymbal each.  Any idea which setup is the real one?
  4. Are the parameters for the 8 convolution-based room reverbs editable?
  5. Do any of the on-board effects include presets?

I need another drum VST like I need another nostril, but I'm interested nonetheless if it is flexible enough.

Hey Marc,

Let's see how I can answer these for you

1) MODO DRUM is designed to use it's own grooves at this time. Third party MIDI files can be played back through your DAW, but importing third party grooves is not an option currently.

2) While I know the answer is yes, I would suggest staying tuned to the IK news letter for future developments on these.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/newsletter/

3) There are
3 cymbal sets (IK, Elegance and Vintage) that include one ride cymbal each. I've passed your comment to the team to be addressed.

4) The 8 convolution based reverb options (Rooms) will have control for individual element levels and overall level control. There will be no individual parameter control. Check out the Mixer/FX video above for some insight on how everything works. The MODO DRUM product page also has some great video content: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mododrum/index.php?p=media

5) There will be an option to save user presets for the different offered FX, but n
o presets will be included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...