2 mountains that have yet to be successfully climbed!

1. No one has been able to invent a DAW with realistic-sounding human voices, that can sing! Anything would be a start! I would think that it could be done if there were a few pre-arranged singing patterns, but so far no one has been able to even come close to this. So, as of today, no one can do text-to-singing, just text-to-speech, or speech-to-text. But I'm not a knowledgeable programmer. :D

2. No one has been able to invent a DAW that has a realistic-sounding virtual electric guitar. I'm not referring to guitar loops. I'm referring to a program that enables you to play electric guitar notes of your own choice that sounds like a real electric guitar. I realize that these two things are difficult to program. Does anyone here know what type(s) of programming language(s) would be needed to do the above suggestion and this suggestion, and how advanced a programmer would have to be? 

On 5/27/2022 at 2:33 PM, Jonald Blip said:

1. No one has been able to invent a DAW with realistic-sounding human voices, that can sing! Anything would be a start! I would think that it could be done if there were a few pre-arranged singing patterns, but so far no one has been able to even come close to this. So, as of today, no one can do text-to-singing, just text-to-speech, or speech-to-text. But I'm not a knowledgeable programmer. :D

2. No one has been able to invent a DAW that has a realistic-sounding virtual electric guitar. I'm not referring to guitar loops. I'm referring to a program that enables you to play electric guitar notes of your own choice that sounds like a real electric guitar. I realize that these two things are difficult to program. Does anyone here know what type(s) of programming language(s) would be needed to do the above suggestion and this suggestion, and how advanced a programmer would have to be? 

That would be the end of humanity as we know it if those were invented.

You know like how the synthesizer was viewed when it was first invented.

🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂  🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

What the appropriately-handl'd Mr. Blip said is true, though. Nobody has been able to invent a DAW to do either of those things.

There are of course multiple plug-ins that can credibly perform those tasks, as b kindly points out.

I can only speculate that the reason that nobody has been able to invent a DAW to do either task is because it wouldn't be economically feasible to invent an entire digital audio workstation just to perform those tasks. There are already so many great multipurpose DAW's on the market at several price points. It's a mature market, and the things you'd want a DAW to do are really covered. Audio recording, MIDI recording, editing and manipulation both in studio and live environments, built around a pleasantly diverse array of workflows.

Inventing a DAW is a poor idea because DAW's have been around for over a quarter of a century, and once a type of technology has been around, being used and refined for that long, there is no need to invent it all over again.

It would be like inventing an airplane to fly to Greenland. We already have airplanes. Many of them are already able to fly to Greenland. We don't need to invent an airplane to fly to Greenland. You can just charter one. It will take less time and money.

Based on information that comes up with the search for "Jonald Blip," I recommend that this thread be closed. Not saying that all threads from hit-and-run posters should be closed if they don't reply within an arbitrary, just this one based on all of the info that's "out there." 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 8:55 AM, Starship Krupa said:

What the appropriately-handl'd Mr. Blip said is true, though. Nobody has been able to invent a DAW to do either of those things.

There are of course multiple plug-ins that can credibly perform those tasks, as b kindly points out.

I can only speculate that the reason that nobody has been able to invent a DAW to do either task is because it wouldn't be economically feasible to invent an entire digital audio workstation just to perform those tasks. There are already so many great multipurpose DAW's on the market at several price points. It's a mature market, and the things you'd want a DAW to do are really covered. Audio recording, MIDI recording, editing and manipulation both in studio and live environments, built around a pleasantly diverse array of workflows.

Inventing a DAW is a poor idea because DAW's have been around for over a quarter of a century, and once a type of technology has been around, being used and refined for that long, there is no need to invent it all over again.

It would be like inventing an airplane to fly to Greenland. We already have airplanes. Many of them are already able to fly to Greenland. We don't need to invent an airplane to fly to Greenland. You can just charter one. It will take less time and money.

The task of a DAW really isn't for this purpose. The vocal programs duplicating human singing are pretty convincing if done well. When I looked into them the only negative I could find was some of the better ones are tied to a server on the web. Why?

I had similar thoughts about synths. There are still people out there building home made synths. I guess these guys are serious electronic enthusiasts. With literally dozens of the best synths replicated in software, or at least close approximations, I would rather spend my time making music, but that's me and I realize not everyone thinks the same say.

Check out the channel " Look Mum No Computer" on YouTube. He gets into some crazy stuff.

• 1 year later...

One of our forum members, bitflipper,  can use his keyboard to control a program (I don't know the name) that sound like a guitar to me. When I first heard it I didn't know it wasn't a guitar player.

So the op #2 is not true.

Apart for the whole grammar pedantry aspect of the post, the current issue with programs like Synthesizer V is it takes a considerable amount of work to make them sound good. Much like AI algorithms, they're made for people that use them by people that use them. They're unintuitive both in terms of workflow and interface and documentation is non existent. The fact it still is a niche product made for people that want artificial voices means innovation is slow and not many improvements have been made so far since the instruction of the first Vocaloid 20 years ago.

As per guitar, that depends. While some aspects of guitar have been successfully sampled in some products, there are still things you can't emulate properly not because you can't sample them, but because the controllers and interfaces you have available are not capable of giving you control over those aspects to the point you could render convincing results. A good example of that would be fretting. In a real guitar you can vary the pressure on the frets you're fingering and that's independent from the dynamics of your playing. How are you gonna interface that with a keyboard? Even in an MPE controller, you'll still have the same problem.

A solution for that started with IK and their MODO Bass, which are still limited in some control aspects but give you way more control using synthesis instead of logarithmically increasing library sizes just to add one extra aspect to the sound.