Sending MIDI to a VST effect in real time

I use Cakewalk mostly in live performance as a solo artist, rather than as a recording tool.  It works great, way more flexible than something like Garage Band, IMHO.  I've recently added several VSTIs to the mix, and everything is working well.

Now I'm trying to add Cherry Audio's Stardust 201 tape echo and 'play' the echo old-school in real time -- i.e., play a few notes, then twiddle the feedback and speed controls to get wild effects.  Of course, one can do this from the VST directly in the DAW using a mouse, but it's a lot more usable when linked to real wheels and knobs on a keyboard (or control surface).  Stardust has a MIDI Learn mode to map knobs to MIDI CCs, and one can even edit the min/max value settings and the response curve of the incoming MIDI.  The problem is, the MIDI CC data doesn't seem to be getting to the VST.  It's reaching my VST *instruments* -- including ones from Cherry Audio -- but it doesn't seem to pass to a VST *effect*:  I turn on MIDI Learn in Stardust, select a knob, it turns purple to indicate that it's been selected, and that's it.  I can move the Mod Wheel or a knob all day, and the data doesn't reach Stardust.  I've tried changing the VST settings to "configure as synth," but that didn't help.  What am I doing wrong?  Has anyone got this kind of setup to work?

What you have to do is enable “MIDI in” on the plugin that you want to control with MIDI (top toolbar of the plugin window when it says VST2 or VST3)

Create a new MIDI track, with Echo on ,and then route that new MIDI track to the plugin that you have enabled “MIDI in” on (the same place where you route the MIDI data to a synth)

As a test (and to make sure it works), I created a Simple Instrument Track of AAS Strum-GS with a dry electric guitar (no internal effects enabled).  I inserted an instance of Amplitude 5 on that Simple Instrument Track.  I enabled “MIDI in” on Amplitude 5

On Amplitude 5 I create a preset that includes a WAH pedal.

I created a new track and routed the MIDI data from this track to Amplitude 5.  I enabled local echo on this MIDI track.

I opened the Amplitude 5 GUI and Enabled MIDI learn on the Amplitude 5 Wah pedal that I added

I moved my foot controller (which I know transmits CC1 events values)

The mapping was created.

Now I can control WAH in Amplitude 5 with the foot while playing Strum-GS.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1