Silent Moments (Collab with mark alan skinner)

noynekker

Hey Cakewalkers . . . so this one started out a few years back, just strumming around the campfire on acoustic guitar, which I then recorded when getting home from the camp trip. It sat around quite a while in my studio . . . recently, I sent the acoustic track over to fellow Cakewalk forum member Mark Alan Skinner, who came up with some super creative guitar tracks (panned left & right), we also came up with a bass guitar part, which he played on his Ibanez. I pulled some vocals from deep inside . . . distant memory of a high school love.

Thanks Mark, for your help making this old dream come true . . . as always, let us know if the mix (and song idea) translates out there . . .

• Like 4

I would recognise Marks playing anywhere I think.  🙂
Very nice song...  those where hard waters to navigate when we young.
Well done guys.

We all paint very different pictures...
I would personally like the voice to be a little more forward with a little more compression and a "warmer". track over all.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the great comments folks !

@garybrun . . . I do have a darker mix of this, but it seemed to be missing the mid range 1K, might have brought in too much, hard to say,  still comparing on different listening systems.

@Wookiee . . . that's a great compliment for a first time listen !

@DeeringAmps . . . Tom, your clapping is much appreciated :D

@jack c. . . . thanks for listening, and positive comment

@Johnbee58 . . . John, great compliments, thanks for the listen. 

• Like 1

Bruce , I Really enjoyed working on this one with you. It was pretty easy working against your Great acoustic track even though it get get covered up a bit.  I tried my best to play it myself  ,  but couldn't get it done. The lyrics were Very well written and performed ..               Big fan ..  mark

• Like 1

22 hours ago, noynekker said:

Thanks for all the great comments folks !

@garybrun . . . I do have a darker mix of this, but it seemed to be missing the mid range 1K, might have brought in too much, hard to say,  still comparing on different listening systems.

Sound familiar to me.. as Mark adds 1-1.2k to my mixes.

I have just recently purchases the Dangerous Music D-Box with analogue summing... so will check my room tuning again.

• Like 1

Wow. Great tune and mix, and guitars, and vocals, especially the vocals. Stellar.

that said, I found the bass guitar a bit thin in the mix, FWIW, a litle more bassal support might be worth a shot. And the lead vocal is rubato as hell, very emotional, very very good,  but in spots the vocal leads the groove just a hair. I'm thinking maybe check the first verse, if the vocal were slid backwards in time, back straight into that lovely pocket that everything else is in. Nothing like a strong waltz pocket to make a groove  like no other. I really only noticed this vocal-ahead-of-pocket thing in the first verse.

This song is and the performances are crazy good.

cheers,

-Tom

31 minutes ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Wow. Great tune and mix, and guitars, and vocals, especially the vocals. Stellar.

that said, I found the bass guitar a bit thin in the mix, FWIW, a litle more bassal support might be worth a shot. And the lead vocal is rubato as hell, very emotional, very very good,  but in spots the vocal leads the groove just a hair. I'm thinking maybe check the first verse, if the vocal were slid backwards in time, back straight into that lovely pocket that everything else is in. Nothing like a strong waltz pocket to make a groove  like no other. I really only noticed this vocal-ahead-of-pocket thing in the first verse.

This song is and the performances are crazy good.

cheers,

-Tom

Nice input Tom, glad you liked it . . . I think I hear what you're alluding to in the first verse, very subtle, but I'll monkey with the timing there a bit. Mucho Rubato, just channeling my inner Sinatra ? I did add some 500hz to Mark's bass part, but I think you're suggesting more volume or more lows ? Thanks for the mix suggestions.

19 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Great song, sounds kind of improvised in places, almost like a jam session. That's meant as a compliment by the way, it has a spontaneous live feel that I really like.

Top work all round 👏👏👏

Andy

Appreciate the listen and comment Andy . . . and very interesting it sounded live to you, I think most recordings I do are meant to sound like a band is playing it, though, many of the newer ones don't have a live band actually playing it.