[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.06 Early Access [Updated to Build 22]

The sizing/scaling has worked well on my PC for several years, so I really don't want to change my PC's settings so I don't get this with the new offline help system: 

image.png.7a6a5761fea4eb4ae75c06e3aef16052.png

Does CbB have a parameter I can change that only affects how much of the help text is within the banner's dark background and how much is below it?  (Not a big issue, I can use on-line help and the reference guide pdf.)

Edited by User 905133

48 minutes ago, sjoens said:

All I can say is, if you overcomplicate something, confusion will entail.  If you then change that overcomplicated something to something even more complicated, confusion will yield to frustration. ;) - ConfusedOne

I'm not sure what the context of this message is.

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It's always seemed odd that launching the online documentation from within Cakewalk by BandLab throws up an announcement about the existence of Cakewalk by BandLab.

I'd gladly accept a cookie that would flag me as someone who's already gotten the message.

This will be removed. It's long overdue but the website is not something that we directly manage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never quite have the time to get involved in the whole EA business, but just want to say 1/ thanks to all who do, especially the developers of course, and 2/, this:

Automatically extend final take when loop recording in Comping mode

... is such a small, subtle, but brilliant improvement. This kind of workflow-focussed stuff is gold.

• Like 1

POSSIBLE BUG:

I have MIDI clip with some notes and controllers, I select it and do Process>Length by 50% (start times and durations left checked, I only untick stretch audio, whether it matters or not, idk) as a result all controllers data that was before and/or after any notes in the clip are deleted. Am I missing some settings?

Edit: just checked further, stretch audio doesn't matter. Any setting by less than 100% will crop any controllers data that sticks out before or after the notes in a clip. Settings by 100% or more keeps the controllers. It must be bug 🤔

Edited by chris.r
  • Thanks 1

Hi there,

This is my first post to the forum since the Bandlab takeover. I’ve been a Cakewalk die-hard since 2004. I’m having a serious issue with the beta. Every project I have that contains a midi instrument has this new behavior. I don’t know if it’s a bug, but if it isn’t, I’d love to turn it off. If select a track in the console view, the audio and midi channels in the Track view will expand. Even if I touch a plugin in a bus in the console view, the last midi instrument selected will expand in the track view. It gets even stranger in that, I can save the project with a midi instrument selected, with the entire folder collapsed, then close the project. When I reopen the project, that instrument will be fully expanded when the project loads. I don’t know if I’m explaining this well, but it’s really frustrating to have to keep closing folders all of the time just because I adjusted something on a bus.

Please know that I am grateful for any help that can be provided. I certainly don’t want to seem like I’m complaining. I really am trying to help the beta. If I need to submit images, I can. I’m hopeful that someone has seen this although it doesn’t seem like it was mentioned in the previous posts. Thanks in advance!

34 minutes ago, Vampires At Dawn said:

If select a track in the console view, the audio and midi channels in the Track view will expand.

The behavior I'm seeing is not that the tracks expand, but rather if a track is in a folder and I click on its strip in Console View, the folder that the track is in will open.

I can't see any reason for this behavior. I don't know whether it's new or not, but I don't care for it.

Hi Erik,

This sounds really similar. I do get the expansion and the expansion upon project reopens though. It kind of feels like whack a mole. I can’t see any reason that touching a bus in the console view would cause everything in a folder to fully expand. I wish I could turn this off. Thanks for confirming your experience!

11 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

The behavior I'm seeing is not that the tracks expand, but rather if a track is in a folder and I click on its strip in Console View, the folder that the track is in will open.

I can't see any reason for this behavior. I don't know whether it's new or not, but I don't care for it.

I have a Workspace I am currently using for some tunes-in-progress and when selecting a track in the Console View the folder does indeed open/expand in the Track View to show me the track I am working on.  I did a quick test on another PC that's still on 2022-02 (build 39). On that PC selected tracks in the Console View do not cause the folder to expand in the Track View.

If this is new in the 2022-06 EA Release, my workflow would benefit from having (a) an option to choose the behavior that (b) can be saved along other setting within a Workspace.  I can imagine there might be times when I do want the folder to be expanded but it seems the new behavior is more intrusive when I don't want this behavior.

New Behavior Confirmed: Rolledback to 2022-02 Build 39 and the whack-a-mole feature is not there.

Edited by User 905133
Fixed typos; Updated info following rollback test
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Vampires At Dawn said:

Hi there,

This is my first post to the forum since the Bandlab takeover. I’ve been a Cakewalk die-hard since 2004. I’m having a serious issue with the beta. Every project I have that contains a midi instrument has this new behavior. I don’t know if it’s a bug, but if it isn’t, I’d love to turn it off. If select a track in the console view, the audio and midi channels in the Track view will expand. Even if I touch a plugin in a bus in the console view, the last midi instrument selected will expand in the track view. It gets even stranger in that, I can save the project with a midi instrument selected, with the entire folder collapsed, then close the project. When I reopen the project, that instrument will be fully expanded when the project loads. I don’t know if I’m explaining this well, but it’s really frustrating to have to keep closing folders all of the time just because I adjusted something on a bus.

Please know that I am grateful for any help that can be provided. I certainly don’t want to seem like I’m complaining. I really am trying to help the beta. If I need to submit images, I can. I’m hopeful that someone has seen this although it doesn’t seem like it was mentioned in the previous posts. Thanks in advance!

It was highlighted in the release notes in the post at the beginning of this thread:

Option to open parent track folder when changing track focus

The Track view Options menu contains a new Expand Track Folder on Track Focus option, which automatically opens the focused track’s parent folder if it’s currently closed. This behavior may be desirable when using control surfaces or changing track focus via the Console view.

To disable this, just uncheck this option within the Track View Options menu.

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It's there for people who use the primarily console view, or control surfaces along with the console view.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chris.r said:

POSSIBLE BUG:

I have MIDI clip with some notes and controllers, I select it and do Process>Length by 50% (start times and durations left checked, I only untick stretch audio, whether it matters or not, idk) as a result all controllers data that was before and/or after any notes in the clip are deleted. Am I missing some settings?

Edit: just checked further, stretch audio doesn't matter. Any setting by less than 100% will crop any controllers data that sticks out before or after the notes in a clip. Settings by 100% or more keeps the controllers. It must be bug 🤔

This is an old bug, but it was a simple fix.  I noticed it was also ignoring track envelopes / articulations if they were in the selection - this has also been fixed.

The fix will be available in the main release.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

This is an old bug, but it was a simple fix.  I noticed it was also ignoring track envelopes / articulations if they were in the selection - this has also been fixed.

The fix will be available in the main release.

Right, I didn't check it first, I just reported asap. Should have posted in another thread. Thanks for the fixes!

Also noticed that if there are CC#s first then MIDI notes in a clip and I split between them, an extra CC# is created at the split point. Hopefully that gets fixed along.

Edited by chris.r

9 hours ago, msmcleod said:

To disable this, just uncheck this option within the Track View Options menu.   It's there for people who use the primarily console view, or control surfaces along with the console view.  

It can also be helpful when using a compose-by-layering method (a) with loop-comping phrases (b) when using a larger-console view-over-smaller-track view-bridge UI workflow. 

So far as I can tell the preference doesn't get saved/restored within Workspaces.  If so, that seems to mean that once enabled (which it is by default), an automatically folder has to be un-expanded manually.  Selecting a non-foldered Console strip doesn't automatically close the previously opened folder.   

In the past when default behaviors have changed it seems to confuse existing users (e.g., the change in Rewind behavior of a year or two ago, among others). 

Thanks for the option.  It seems handy so far. 

Edited by User 905133
wording changes (for clarification)

Just a heads up... the option to open parent track folder when changing track focus currently defaults to on.

We've changed this to default to off for the main release, but this will only affect those who haven't installed 2022.06 EA.

If you don't want this option on, just turn it off under the Track View options menu. It's a global rather than project setting, so it will remain off once you change it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

@Morten Saether's initial post includes a download link for offline Help documentation.   What is the plan for offline Help documentation in the future?

Will the offline Help file be embedded in the final release?  Will updated offline Help documentation be embedded with all future final releases?

Looks like double the work for Morton.

30 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

@Morten Saether's initial post includes a download link for offline Help documentation.   What is the plan for offline Help documentation in the future?

Will the offline Help file be embedded in the final release?  Will updated offline Help documentation be embedded with all future final releases?

Looks like double the work for Morton.

Local help will be available as an optional in-app update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 6/12/2022 at 12:52 PM, Cédric Lawde said:

Since the last update, I can't bounce my project.

Cakewalk export a wave file with only 4 ko. I change some parameters like dithering and so on, but it's change nothing ar all...

CDWM865D Corsaire.wav 4 kB · 0 downloads

Are you certain that its related? There are no changes that could have affected bounce.
Have you rolled back and retested the same project?
If you can verify that its the new release please send a zip of the project file so we can investigate ASAP.

• Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.06 Early Access [Updated to Build 22]
  • Morten Saether unfeatured and unpinned this topic