[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.06 Early Access [Updated to Build 22]

On 5/29/2022 at 11:22 PM, Kyle Davis said:
On 5/29/2022 at 4:39 AM, Lord Tim said:

. A lot of times it *is* some third-party software, or a hardware issue or even user error.

And there it is again. It's never asctuall "Calkewalk" itself with this forum! 

LOL. You had to settle for "a lot of times" when you couldn't provoke the actual response you wanted.

In your thread, I and others repeatedly said words to the effect of "if you think the latest version is causing the problem, roll back to the previous version." But it seems like you wanted to pick a fight and had a heck of a time doing so. 😄

We have more than one person in this thread who is saying that this build broke something on their system and not a single one suggesting that it's not an issue with the Early Access Cakewalk build. Sometimes it is, and then we help the developers fix it by sending in as detailed a crash report as we can, complete with our system specs. With audio apps, it's critically important that developers know what hardware the person's running.

Not so they can fingerpoint or say "you don't have enough RAM and you need to buy an SSD" but because they need to know what hardware Cakewalk, or "Calkewalk" or whatever you want to call it, may be having trouble with. Obviously, it works fine on their systems or they wouldn't have sent it out.

I myself, this morning, installed the EA build on my laptop and suddenly, projects that played fine the night before were clicking and then grinding to a halt. I tried this, I tried that, including rolling back to the last release build. Then I discovered that I had both onboard sound and my Presonus interface enabled as output devices using WASAPI. Apparently Cakewalk doesn't like that, so I unchecked the onboard audio in Preferences and all was well again. ASIO would probably work even better.

Last night, I didn't have the Presonus plugged in, so it was a completely different output device configuration. All this crap matters.

Why doesnt Studio One, Reaper or Cubase crash with the same system specs....

It's impossible to say, because AFAIK you've never even said what version of Windows you're running. The bigger question is: if you have all of these other DAW's that work smoothly on your system, and Cakewalk is crashing, and you're unwilling to divulge the information needed to figure out why, why don't you just use one or all of those other DAW's? They're all fine programs that pretty much do what Cakewalk does (aside from crashing on your system). Surely you'd be happier?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Morten Saether changed the title to Cakewalk 2022.06 Early Access [Updated to Build 13]
On 5/26/2022 at 11:50 AM, Morten Saether said:

We're pleased to announce Early Access for 2022.06! This release introduces Mackie control surface improvements, loop and punch record enhancements, key binding to render Region FX, support for offline help, plus various enhancements and bug fixes for user reported issues.

We'd love for you to check it out before we drop the official public version. 

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2022.06 Early Access build, you must be on the latest public release of 2022.02. 

Download Cakewalk 2022.06 EA installer

Download Cakewalk Offline Help installer

Should you need to revert to the 2022.02 release, you can download the Cakewalk 2022.02 Rollback installer.

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.
Please keep responses specific to problems or comments on this release. Unrelated bugs or feature requests should be posted in other threads or the feature request channel.

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

Updated to 28.06.0.013

This build contains the following additional improvements:

• Render Region FX key binding not available in English version
  • Cubase mode not being recalled in Mackie Control surface dialog
  • Shelf tool does not work with multiple clips in the same lane
  • Null pointer when trying to drag move range selection in project
  • Tempo track wiped after drag copy section in user project
  • Incorrect tempo at beginning of committed arrangement in user project
  • Unable to enter "+" character for markers when using non-US keyboard

Mackie control surface improvements

The Mackie Control surface includes several new enhancements.

New compatibility modes

In addition to the recommended Cakewalk/SONAR mode, the Mackie Control surface now supports two extra emulation modes that can be used if your control surface does not provide a dedicated Cakewalk/SONAR mode:

• Mackie Control Universal (Universal Mode). Emulates Mackie’s default button layout.
  • Mackie Control Universal (Cubase Mode). Emulates Mackie’s Cubase/Nuendo button layout.

It is important that both Cakewalk and your control surface are configured to use the same mode in order to ensure that buttons on the control surface map to the correct functions in Cakewalk.

image.png

Note: If your control surface provides a Cakewalk/SONAR mode, we recommend using this mode to provide maximum compatibility.

Disable Handshake now checked by default

Earlier versions of the Mackie Control protocol required a handshake during the initialization of the control surface. Mackie removed this requirement in later versions.

To reflect this change, the Disable Handshake option is now checked by default to bypass the handshake process.

Note: You may have to uncheck Disable Handshake on older devices when using the Cakewalk/SONAR mode.

Performance enhancement

Routing and track/bus ordering are now cached internally in order to avoid unnecessary repeated calculations during the control surface refresh process. This results in improved UI performance when using a very fast refresh rate.

The cache is reset every time the routing or track ordering changes, and then rebuilt again on the next query from the control surface.

Automatically extend final take when loop recording in Comping mode

When loop recording in Comping mode image.png, the last take now automatically extends to the loop end time if more than one loop iteration was recorded. This prevents previous takes from being split at the transport stop time, and makes comping much easier because each take is a complete clip.

Note: If you loop record in Comping mode and also have auto punch Extend Takes to Punch Out Time enabled, then the last take will be extended to whichever occurs first: loop end or punch out time.

Old behavior (incomplete last take and split clips):

image.png

New behavior (complete last take and no split clips):

image.png

Option to automatically extend final take when punch recording

When Auto Punch recording, Cakewalk automatically splits all takes at the position where you stop recording. This happens if the transport is stopped before the punch out time.

This behavior may not be desirable in some cases, such as when speed comping, where you want each take to be a complete clip.

To prevent this behavior, Cakewalk now provides an option to extend the final take to the Auto Punch end. Right-click the Record  button image.png to open the Preferences dialog box, then enable Extend Takes to Punch Out Time.

Note: The Extend Takes to Punch Out Time option also requires that Auto Punch is enabled.

image.png

Option to open parent track folder when changing track focus

The Track view Options menu contains a new Expand Track Folder on Track Focus option, which automatically opens the focused track’s parent folder if it’s currently closed. This behavior may be desirable when using control surfaces or changing track focus via the Console view.

Key binding to render Region FX

A new key binding named Render Region FX allows you to render any Region FX for any active Region FX in the current clip selection. You can assign the key binding in Edit > Preferences > Customization - Keyboard Shortcuts (under Area: Global Bindings).

Support for offline help

Cakewalk provides optional offline help. Download Cakewalk Offline Help installer

If your computer is not connected to the internet, Cakewalk will default to showing offline help until an internet connection becomes available.

To always use offline help, go to Edit > Preferences > File - Advanced and select Always Use Local Help.

Note: Offline help is only available in English.

Issues resolved in Cakewalk 2022.06 EA (build 28.06.0.008)

• Cakewalk will now install to ARM64 PCs running Windows 11 for ARM
  • WarnSilentBuses config setting should default to off
  • Flushing during bounce occurs with plugins on buses that are not part of the signal chain
  • Export Arranger sections not working properly when project has locked clips
  • Resizing Arranger sections should be able to snap to other sections
  • Committed arrangement off by 1 tick / losing first note
  • Corrupt tempo map when CTRL+drag copy section with only one tempo present
  •  Cakewalk External Controller API problem causing Cakewalk GUI to freeze
  • External encoder presets not being picked up / stored properly

This update won't let me render then I caused my DAW to not open after closing!!! Had to restart my computer just to get it to open again!! Hopefully the rollback installer will fix this I HOPE!!!! DON'T INTALL!!!!!!

On 5/28/2022 at 5:35 PM, Jacques Boileau said:

It depends on what is wanted. Using Bus will control the master fader and affect the level of any export done afterwards, unless there is something I am missing. Controlling the master reduces the level in the monitors and/or headphones but not what will be exported.

I looked but haven't found any setting high or standard resolution. But since I was able to make the pan work perfectly well using AZ Controller I won't research more. I have my pan knobs rotating from -100% to +100% and when the knob is centered it is always at 0 in Cakewalk.

I have done a few other things with AZ Controller that are not possible in what is offered in the Mackie Control Surface Dialog. If you are interested you can read what I have implemented here: Preset for the M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61 One other nice feature, apart from the pan working correctly, is mapping the Oxygen Pro selector knob to increment the movement of the WAI focus one track at a time, so I can more precisely focus the tracks I want to work with.  AZ Controller works well for me and I will continue using it. The new Mackie Cubase mode is a great improvement and will help less technical users I am sure.

My goal here was to help you test the new Mackie Cubase Mode on a piece of equipment you didn't have. It is a success on the Oxygen Pro. I hope my time spent doing this was helpful to you.

I've been trying this with an Oxygen Pro 49, I assume it's the same firmware as your Pro 61. Similarly, the pan knobs don't work properly (not full 100% range of motion, only around 75%) but this isn't new to this release.

I can't find any reference to high or standard resolution so I don't think that's a solution. I can make the pan work using ACT learn, but it would be nice to have it work properly in Cubase mode.

• Like 2

hi, I posted on 2022.02 about slowness loading up VST plugins.

I downloaded 2022.06 early access and the issue is still there. I have reinstalled new versions where possible of all my plugins.

It is taking several minutes to load each plugin, so for the number of plugins I own it is taking almost a couple of hours. This wasn't an issue before 2022.02. 

I will leave it running overnight to see if it does actually finish the scan, and I will get another log if I can

On 5/31/2022 at 12:17 PM, Keni said:

Just a note. This is not new to thEA, but is was new to the previous EA and I was assured it was fixed for next release.... But it's not.

Melodyne clips in Lanes disappear when muted (In the Lane)... Seriously? This needs to be fixed, yes?

I hope someone has taken note of this. At the end of the 02 update it was confirmed and I was told fixed for next release. It is currently, not fixed in the ea 06

I hope someone has taken note of this. I’ve seen no reply. It is very difficult to work when clips become invisible!

I just updated to build 13

Melodyne clips are still becoming invisible in lanes (no talking parent) when muted. As I commented earlier, I reported this back in 2022.02 and was told it was fixed for next release. There is no mention of it in the list of fixes and it is not fixed. If I mute a melodyned clip in it's lane, it disappears!

1 hour ago, Keni said:

I just updated to build 13

Melodyne clips are still becoming invisible in lanes (no talking parent) when muted. As I commented earlier, I reported this back in 2022.02 and was told it was fixed for next release. There is no mention of it in the list of fixes and it is not fixed. If I mute a melodyned clip in it's lane, it disappears!

It's in the queue but we haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

41 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

It's in the queue but we haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

Thanks Jonathan.

I appreciate your time to update my info.

I hope you guys can get to it soon. It's quite disconcerting. Unless I’m mistaken, the clips are actually there tho unseen. If I click there (seeing no response) in the empty space and toggle mute, the clip re-appears.

8 hours ago, Under A Mile said:

hi, I posted on 2022.02 about slowness loading up VST plugins.

I downloaded 2022.06 early access and the issue is still there. I have reinstalled new versions where possible of all my plugins.

It is taking several minutes to load each plugin, so for the number of plugins I own it is taking almost a couple of hours. This wasn't an issue before 2022.02. 

I will leave it running overnight to see if it does actually finish the scan, and I will get another log if I can

Attaching log file. You can see that I have updated the plugins.  There is also more info in this log "VSTSCAN: > dispatcher" lines - I hope this helps. The scan took nearly 3hrs. thanks, Paul

VstScan-202206EA.log

I think adding an icon to the Punch Module and a keyboard shortcut to toggle "Extend Takes to Punch Out Time" will be great in the Final Release. Also "Mute Previous Takes" can be added to both in the module and keyboard shortcuts.

image.png.5b1a93f3b8bc998b8e1e99f718ad160b.png

image.png.1a86f1b1a267bbf4ec3b94c533837094.png

By this way toggling will be much easier even while in the record. 

I had the opportunity to briefly test the new control surface settings with my Arturia KeyLab 61 Mk II today.

It was mostly a success using the Cubase mode in the keyboard with the Mackie MCU Cubase mode in Cakewalk Mackie Control.

These features were all plug and play, using the Mackie Control "Bus" option on the Master Fader, and "Select highlights track" option:

• jog wheel
  • transport controls, including the loop button
  • track and master faders
  • track pan knobs
  • track select buttons
  • the solo, mute, & record buttons under track controls
  • Read automation button (but write does nothing)

Not sure what's going on with the global controls... the metronome button doesn't do anything, the undo button opens the event list. and the save button opens and closes the browser panel.

KeyLab Mk II - Mackie Cubase Mode.PNG

On 5/28/2022 at 6:29 AM, msmcleod said:

The issue is down to a missing string definition in the English resource file.  The feature was working at the time it was implemented and tested, but it looks like a subsequent code merge went wrong at some point (merging resource files can be occasionally problematic).

This has now been fixed, and will be available in the main public release.

In the meantime, the entry is available in all other languages, so as a workaround you can switch to another language and make your binding there, e.g. for French:

image.png.1ec2971ec9a31d065c2057869ef2de04.png

I'm unable to create a Melodyne Region FX using the Clip Menu drop down. See GIF. I've verified no region FX clip created. I rolled back to 2022.02 and restarted my PC and the problem persisted.  So apparently my problem is not related to the update (and likely pilot error), but I also know that Melodyne Region FX were working on Wednesday PM.

IpBziPa.gif

On 5/28/2022 at 8:44 AM, msmcleod said:

While Cakewalk isn't running, rename  ctrlsurface.dat  within %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core  to ctrlsurface.dat.bak

Then start Cakewalk.

Cakewalk will now have no control surfaces defined, so you can add the Mackie Control one for your Pro 61.  Once you've switched it over to Cubase mode within the Mackie Control surface dialog, remember to save it as a preset.

To switch back, quit cakewalk, delete ctrlsurface.dat  and rename ctrlsurface.dat.bak back to ctrlsurface.dat  - when you restart Cakewalk, it will be using AZ Controller again with your original settings.

Sounds like a candidate for a command to switch control surface bindings. :)

2 minutes ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Sounds like a candidate for a command to switch control surface bindings. :)

Renaming "ctrlsurface.dat" saved my bacon today! After an initial attempt at adding a new Mackie control surface definition, I was unable to restart Cakewalk until I reset the control surfaces with this method. Cakewalk crashed every time I started it after making the change.

It apparently had some conflicts with some earlier settings or something. All good now!

• Like 1

Two separate occurrences first with the first build and now again with 13.

I have a project I use for mastering. Setup with all the mastering tools I might want, but all are disabled except 2.

Twice during this EA, after opening this "empty" project, I import the file to be mastered only to be rewarded with Cake disappearing from screen. No warnings, no dump created.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:50 PM, Morten Saether said:

Unable to enter "+" character for markers when using non-US keyboard

This reminds me of a similar bug in the Event Inspector Module! It does not work there either (and it is essential to be able to change values of multiple clips).

But for me it is not that much a big deal, because meanwhile I've got used to press the U.S. key combination for CbB on my Swedish keyboards (does not match the lettering though). 😆

• Like 1

• Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.06 Early Access [Updated to Build 22]
  • Morten Saether unfeatured and unpinned this topic