[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.06 Early Access [Updated to Build 22]

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

The video for the lingering synth load and VST scan toasts.

This looks like a bug where the end project load notification is not being received somehow. Strange because I've never encountered that one. Does it happen on all your projects or just one?

Also if you let it sit there after load does the vst scan  finally say scan complete? You can check if the VST scan process is still running in the background. It should go away when the scan is complete which is typically a few seconds.

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This looks like a bug where the end project load notification is not being received somehow. Strange because I've never encountered that one. Does it happen on all your projects or just one?

Also if you let it sit there after load does the vst scan  finally say scan complete? You can check if the VST scan process is still running in the background. It should go away when the scan is complete which is typically a few seconds.

I've checked four projects, and one works as expected - scan completed normally, both toasts go away - while on the other three they linger.

If you let them sit they'll stay there till you grow old.

Here's what I could note, though: on all the projects with the linger there are frozen synths, which seems to cause the project load progress toast to stop, and the scan toast seems to hang after it. It stops at the Waves shell scan, without going into the modules.

So that would seem like the common occurrence, except there's a catch: when opening CW directly, with no project, the program load progress goes away, while the vst scan goes through all the modules, for a change, and completes, but stays open with the last Waves module scanned, which, for some reason, is Scheps Omni Channel, even though it's not the last alphabetically. So that kind of messes with the theory.

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Yes, it is the wave shell that is causing the re-scan every time.

I suspect the toasts not closing are a result of the project loading a synth that is also being scanned at the same time.

There are few ways around this ( in order of preference 😞

1. Switch to manual scan - unless you're constantly installing new VST's, there's really no reason to have scan on start-up or automatic background scan enabled; or
  2. Wait until the scan is finished before loading the project; or
  3. Turn off scan in sandbox ( I wouldn't really recommend this one though ).

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to keep the auto scan, though, cause I try plugins all the time, uninstall what I don't use, so it's helpful. If I open CW without a specific project, wait for the scan to finish, and then load the project, the project load toast goes away, but the vst scan remains open after the last Waves module scanned, which is SOC, as above. I think it's a good idea to keep the sandbox scan active, too. The fewer crashes the better.

48 minutes ago, Olaf said:

the vst scan goes through all the modules, for a change, and completes, but stays open with the last Waves module scanned, which, for some reason, is Scheps Omni Channel, even though it's not the last alphabetically. So that kind of messes with the theory.

Not seeing the scanner remain open here. I have Waves Scheps Omni Channel, and always see the Waves shells scanned every time Cakewalk launches, but the scanner always closes after the scan. You may need to run a repair on your Waves install.

Cakewalk 2022.06 latest release running on Windows 10 Pro 21H2, with Waves Central 13.1.4 and Scheps v12.0.0.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

So that would seem like the common occurrence, except there's a catch: when opening CW directly, with no project, the program load progress goes away, while the vst scan goes through all the modules, for a change, and completes, but stays open with the last Waves module scanned, which, for some reason, is Scheps Omni Channel, even though it's not the last alphabetically. So that kind of messes with the theory.

If I understand correctly, is the problem only when opening a project before Cakewalk has opened? 
If the waves scan is hung for some reason, then that toast won't go away. As abacab mentioned that could be a waves install issue.
But the project loading toast is completely independent of that. I expect that toast to always be dismissed.
If you can boil it down to a project send me a link and I can try and reproduce it. I have all the waves plugins.

• Like 2

I've reinstalled the Waves bundle - pretty nightmarish, had to delete all the Waves registry keys, the really weird thing is that the reinstall made CW add all its default plugin categories to my own, in the browser, even if they were unused and empty, but deleting all the CW entries for Waves, in the registry, in the end solved it - so the VST scan toast hang went away, when opening an empty project. The same way, when I open CW by itself, wait for the scan to complete, and then open a project from the start screen, the project load toast will go away, too. But if I open a project file directly, and both toasts appear at the same time, they will both stay open, and the VST scan doesn't go through the entire list - he plugins work, they list in the browser normally, but the scan progress display freezes pretty early on.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Olaf said:

I've reinstalled the Waves bundle - pretty nightmarish, had to delete all the Waves registry keys, the really weird thing is that the reinstall made CW add all its default plugin categories to my own, in the browser, even if they were unused and empty, but deleting all the CW entries for Waves, in the registry, in the end solved it - so the VST scan toast hang went away, when opening an empty project. The same way, when I open CW by itself, wait for the scan to complete, and then open a project from the start screen, the project load toast will go away, too. But if I open a project file directly, and both toasts appear at the same time, they will both stay open, and the VST scan doesn't go through the entire list - he plugins work, they list in the browser normally, but the scan progress display freezes pretty early on.

Did you try clicking the "Repair" button in Waves Central settings before nuking everything?

"Repair function inventories the Waves products on your computer and replaces all of them with the most current version."

• Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.06 Early Access [Updated to Build 22]
  • Morten Saether unfeatured and unpinned this topic
13 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Any chance you can share one of the projects that exhibits this? I doubt we’ll be to repro but its worth a try.

Sure, I'll try it later tonight, or tomorrow.

4 hours ago, abacab said:

Did you try clicking the "Repair" button in Waves Central settings before nuking everything?

It rarely works when you've got registry problems. Uninstalled it, too, and deleted its keys, too for a fresh install. Better that way, cause registry conflict can be a big headache later..

44 minutes ago, Olaf said:

It rarely works when you've got registry problems. Uninstalled it, too, and deleted its keys, too for a fresh install. Better that way, cause registry conflict can be a big headache later..

I agree. Best fix for registry problems or other Windows weirdness is to do an in-place Windows repair install. Keeps your data and programs, but refreshes Windows. Much less work that a full OS clean install, but can fix up a lot under the hood. :)

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-windows-10-repair-install

"Simply put, it replaces ALL of the OS files on a Windows 10 PC but leaves other files, installed applications, and most (but not all) settings and preferences alone."

What Can’t an In-Place Upgrade Repair Install Fix? 

This process takes such a short amount of time to complete, I’ve made it a part of my standard troubleshooting sequence. Unless I’m troubleshooting hardware or device driver issues – which this repair may not fix if it’s driver related, and can’t fix if it’s hardware-caused – I’ve found this repair to be as close to a “silver bullet” for handling pesky or complex Windows problems as it ever gets. And because it doesn’t take too long to give it a try, you won’t be that far behind the curve even if it doesn’t work. My own experience is that this repair handles 90-plus percent of the problems I run into and can’t fix in less than half an hour. Hopefully, your experience will be the same!

Edited by abacab

On 6/21/2022 at 6:47 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Any chance you can share one of the projects that exhibits this? I doubt we’ll be to repro but its worth a try.

I've sent you a PM with a project link.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:35 PM, abacab said:

Best fix for registry problems or other Windows weirdness is to do an in-place Windows repair install. Keeps your data and programs, but refreshes Windows. Much less work that a full OS clean install, but can fix up a lot under the hood.

Thanks, I know what it is, but Windows seems to be working fine. I've deleted the Waves entries to make sure I don't have anything hanging that causes conflicts, because reinstalling normally caused those problems with the browser categories. I try not to mess with Windows too much, because I highly customize everything, and redoing an install is a multi-day affair.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I've sent you a PM with a project link.

Thanks, I know what it is, but Windows seems to be working fine. I've deleted the Waves entries to make sure I don't have anything hanging that causes conflicts, because reinstalling normally caused those problems with the browser categories. I try not to mess with Windows too much, because I highly customize everything, and redoing an install is a multi-day affair.

The in-place repair install only takes about 30 mins, and preserves your installed programs and data. Refreshes all the Windows system files.

I did one recently and it left my previous custom settings, such as Power and Sleep settings, no hibernation, etc. as they were. A bit different from a clean Windows nuke and re-pave. But it corrected some random weirdness and BSOD's that I was getting...

1 hour ago, abacab said:

The in-place repair install only takes about 30 mins, and preserves your installed programs and data. Refreshes all the Windows system files.

I know, but there are setting and programs that stop working. Anyway, Windows works fine. I'm thinking of doing an upgrade to W11, but for some reason have some qualms about it, for the same reason. Gotta do a full backup of my system drive before that, and I've been postponing it. Any experience with W11?

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

Gotta do a full backup of my system drive before that, and I've been postponing it. Any experience with W11?

As far as full backup, I recommend making a full system disk image before doing anything to your system. Macrium Reflect (free, or Home edition) is my choice for that job (I run a fully automated image nightly). I can reliably roll my system back to yesterday with a full restore in about 45 mins. :)

But some others prefer AOMEI Backupper, EaseUS Todo Backup, or Acronis. Your call!

Windows 11? Not yet, with a couple years left for Windows 10 support, I'll wait for Microsoft to finish baking it before trusting my DAW to it. If you have a spare non-critical computer it might be fun to play with W11 to see what's coming...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

deareszt,

I installed the new version but got a message that I could not activate the programme!

a red field gave an eroor 20

is this a new problem? uninstalling and reinstalling an older version still gives the same error

i lost the possiblity to teach beacause of this

i am very unhuppy

3 hours ago, Meesteric said:

deareszt,

I installed the new version but got a message that I could not activate the programme!

a red field gave an eroor 20

is this a new problem? uninstalling and reinstalling an older version still gives the same error

i lost the possiblity to teach beacause of this

i am very unhuppy

This thread has been closed. Suggest that you start a new thread in the Cakewalk forum, especially if you wish for the Cakewalk staff to see it!

• 4 weeks later...