Clip Gain Problem

marcL

Almost always when I use "Clip Gain" in take lanes it leads to the following problem, if there are MULTIPLE clips on the lane. I select a region of the clip and drag the mouse up or down in the clip's title area and usually, it works perfectly.

But sooner or later in situations like the one below, it suddenly rejects to work. I select an area, put the mouse over the clip's title bar (the correct cursor appears, see picture #1), but when I try to drag down or up only a rectancle with "-INF  -INF" appears and the clip gain of the selection is not changed! (picture #2)

Is there something that I do wrong, something that I don't consider? Any help is appreciated!

By the way my work-around in such situations is that I move the clip to a new empty working track, do the clip gain changes there (this works always!) and then move the clip back to the old track/lane. But this is not very convenient! 😉

picture #1, the correct cursor appears:

ClipGain1.thumb.png.ba7df63582e14e5bb958f3bf2ed9e1b0.png

picture #2, CbB rejects to change the clip gain, only "-INF  -INF" is being displayed:

ClipGain2.thumb.png.2167c6ae59b8db4ad83cb405319f7d50.png

My experience has been that working with the take lanes to do anything other then comping takes, and even then at times, can cause problems. I wish the take lanes worked without bugs but they seem to have quirks that hinder my workflow.

For now I try to move to do all my work in tracks so I don't see these problems.

Sorry, not at fix for you just expressing sympathy and my workaround.

Edited by reginaldStjohn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So it’s just not me being an idiot about tack lanes. If I keep things simple they work brilliantly, but as noted you can’t treat them the same as tracks.
I’ve made some big messes with lanes and had to delete everything and start over just using a few regular tracks instead. I gave up on them a while ago. 

• Sad 1

In this case with only a single lane, does it work to close lanes and adjust clip gain in parent track? Also, since CW seems to think the gain level and change amount is already at minimum does it maybe work to drag up, release, and then drag down?

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

In this case with only a single lane, does it work to close lanes and adjust clip gain in parent track? Also, since CW seems to think the gain level and change amount is already at minimum does it maybe work to drag up, release, and then drag down?

I think this is not the problem, because if I remove the 2nd clip in the example above, then it works properly! This indicates that it has something to do with multiple clips in the same lane. Also if I temporarily move a clip to another, free lane, then it works most of the time. But the only way that works always properly, is to move the clip to an empty track and do the gain changes there (By the way this is a work-around that helps not only for this particular lane problem. Sadly, there is a couple of other issues in take lanes!) I have to add that this work-around is very inconvenient, because to be able to listen a lot of settings have to be the same as in the original track and also soloing gets more complicated.

9 hours ago, msmcleod said:

This will be fixed for the 2022.06 general release.

This is good news! I have a new song I'm working on , and thought I'd try my hand at comping w/take lanes. I have the tracks and lanes recorded, and will soon be playing w/comping.