Guitar mix tone (eqing)

@Craig Anderton,

I've bought a pack of red 3mm leds and I'm ready to solder.

I'm not great at reading the spec and i cannot tell if i can put them on backwards or not. Do i just solder on 2? Do they need to be inverted?

I can't tell one side from the other on the leds.

They all have one leg longer than the other. Is that the tell? Put one one way and the other the reverse?

Edited by Gswitz

TransientTamer_Geoff.thumb.png.bc08ad68048e326b51db289ff8ba0725.png

It works!

I used an old cable and I'm not able to get the screw cap back on under the sheathing b/c it's a messy job, but it's a use-at-home toy anyway. 🙂

Thanks @Craig Anderton

I have a bag full of red LEDs if anyone else want to try. Text me your address and I'll drop a few in the mail. I think I killed 3 in the trying before the final 2 worked, so how about I'll send 6?

Btw, I was curious if I might be able to see the LEDs flicker when I hit the guitar. In a lit room, the answer is no.

As a lesson learned, if you are going to want to screw the cap back on your cable, you'll want to wrap the wire tightly to the conductor before soldering. When I did it, I let the wire stand out a little too much. The problem comes when I wrap it electrical tape, the twisting of the metal cap onto the threads rubs the electrical tape off the highest points and then it shorts bc the cap is a conduit betwee + and -. So, wrap it tightly and don't use too much solder. Get it plenty hot to so the solder sticks to the metal. As long as you don't touch the LED, there's no plastic to worry about really. Not like soldering on a Printed Circuit Board where you have to be careful of melting it.

Edited by Gswitz