New release

Kyle Davis

Question

Hi. Im new to the forum, but not cakewalk. I'd been experiencing a lot of crashes with this release. Most of the time it's on a clean new empty template and when i delete a track.

It has been over a month that this has been happening. My system is always up to date, so it is not that. 

When will the new release come out perhaps? 

20 answers to this question

Just like Cakewalk before it, BandLab does not publish their release schedule.

A week or so before the official release they post an Early Access version here https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/36-early-access-program/

For a long time now, a rollback installer to the previous production release is provided in the official release threads posted here https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/33-product-release-info/

• Like 3

The new release won't likley fix your issue. Have you submitted crash dumps to Cakewalk team? if not, how will they even know there's any issues? 

Nobody else seems to be having a problem so your's will be system related, not Cakewalk. 

Possibly we can help you sort that out. List what your using. 

And to add 99% of the time if Cakewalk crashes it's a plug in that causes it. 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

The new release won't likley fix your issue. Have you submitted crash dumps to Cakewalk team? if not, how will they even know there's any issues? 

Nobody else seems to be having a problem so your's will be system related, not Cakewalk. 

Possibly we can help you sort that out. List what your using. 

And to add 99% of the time if Cakewalk crashes it's a plug in that causes it.

So what you're saying is: the coding of Cakewalk is too old for my system? I've been using this DAW 30 years and i have never heard such nonsense (no disrepect.)

I bet you it cant be a plugin, because i dont use virtual instruments. Everything was working 100% prior to this release. 

Kyle - take at look at the troubleshooting section and submit a crash report - Noel and team are exceptional at helping folks and if there are issues with the code - they're pretty quick to resolve them - if, somehow its something else - they may be able to identify and assist as well.

for me, Windows Defender, OneDrive, and Google Drive (the latter two are set to back up my stuff, require me to set up exceptions in the AV to exclude the processes and folders to avoid having them scan everything, and i pause the drive software (usually for 8 hours because i'll forget if i've set it to 2 hours, and then suddenly weird stuff starts happening). also - i've found in some cases, plugin updates or CW updates (or even unrelated software) can mess with the runtime executables - so i'm in the habit now of re-installing the CW software after updates to my plugins and overall OS to ensure the runtimes are the ones that came with the CW. in theory, this shouldn't be necessary, but in practice...

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

To be fair: I too have been getting the exact same crashes as what the OP has, without any plugin effects on the channel (not taking anyone's side.) The only difference is - I dont get a crash report. It just close. There are similar reports from members since this release in the feedback forum. 

So my guess is - its either this release | or | a windows 10 update that's not playing nice with Cakewalk. My system is also up to date with all windows 10 latest updates. You do get those release updates thats a little "buggy" ones in a blue moon from Microsoft. 

I have a PC configured as per my signature and I am not experiencing any crashes with this release of CbB.

Can you list your detailed PC specs, what audio interface you are using , what driver mode.  What sample rate, bit depth and buffer size you are using.

• Like 1

i7 - 8Gen, 64GB Ram. 1TB on Operating System with 600GB free running Windows 10 21H2 and Latest Cakewalk release only. All windows defender has been disabled and no other antivirus installed. 

Audio interface - Focustlrite 2i2 3rd Gen running the latest Drivers. Sample rate 44100/24bit and Buffer 256. 

I know how to configure a system from front to back for a DAW.

I have been away from CbB since this release for this specific reason. I can't afford to have a crash when I have workd famous artists in my studio. 

I am proud to say I have reach that level using Cakewalk over the years (not bragging cause for most it was a tragic time) with most of this success happened throughout the pandemic. I'm mostly on Logic for this very reason because all my clients are sending me logic projects or requesting a Logic from me. 

I really hope the next release will be better. I still and will always love Cakewalk. 

Edited by Will.

13 hours ago, Promidi said:

I have a PC configured as per my signature and I am not experiencing any crashes with this release of CbB.

Can you list your detailed PC specs, what audio interface you are using , what driver mode.  What sample rate, bit depth and buffer size you are using

Prior to this release Cakewalk was working just fine. So i do not see the relevance in answering on what you are asking me to provide (without being disrespected.) 

• Meh 1

4 minutes ago, Kyle Davis said:

Prior to this release Cakewalk was working just fine. So i do not see the relevance in answering on what you are asking me to provide (without being disrespected.) 

Well if you are not going to answer the question, you're on your own.  Good luck with an attitude like that.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Kyle Davis said:

Then there's no relevance in trying to help you.

Have you submitted a support request?

I bet you haven't. That's one of the first things they ask.

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 2
  • Meh 1

5 hours ago, bdickens said:

Then there's no relevance in trying to help you.

Have you submitted a support request?

I bet you haven't. That's one of the first things they ask.

Nothing relevant in what you're saying. 

• Meh 2

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

This isn't the Feedback section, Q&A is for people seeking help from other users about using the software.

Well, a question is what i was asking. When is tge new release coming out. Dont know what system specs has to do with the issue, if it was working just fine in a previous release! THAT MEANS THIS RELEASE IS UNSTABLE if i'm having trouble with this one and not any of the previous. 

• Meh 1

On 5/25/2022 at 6:33 AM, Kyle Davis said:

Hi. Im new to the forum, but not cakewalk. I'd been experiencing a lot of crashes with this release. Most of the time it's on a clean new empty template and when i delete a track.

Sorry you are experiencing problems. Luckily for me it is very stable on my system.

It has been over a month that this has been happening. My system is always up to date, so it is not that. 

The fact that your system is always up to date indicates drivers and Windows updates are installed regularly. This also means that not only Cakewalk was updated, other parts of your system might also been updated. Your best course of action would be to re-install the older version of Cakewalk and see if the crashes still happen. That would rule out or point to Cakewalk as the culprit.

When will the new release come out perhaps? 

There is no schedule and in any case a new release might not help you at all. If you don't submit crash reports to the team how would they know what to fix? Your problems seem to be specific to your system/installation, the devs need your help by reporting it. And no, posting here that you are experiencing crashes is not enough. Search this forum, there is info on how to submit bugs. Since it has been a while since there has been an update, I would do this ASAP to give them a chance to include it in any upcoming release they may have planned.

See my responses above.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kyle Davis said:

Well, a question is what i was asking. When is tge new release coming out. Dont know what system specs has to do with the issue, if it was working just fine in a previous release! THAT MEANS THIS RELEASE IS UNSTABLE if i'm having trouble with this one and not any of the previous. 

Okay, to answer your original question, "perhaps" it will be out within the next 30 days. Perhaps it won't. Nobody on this forum, including the developers, knows exactly when.

This release is unstable for you. The forum would be exploding if others were having similar issues.

In the meantime, report your issue to the appropriate personnel, roll back to the previous version, and wait.

The reason that people asked about your system specs is that Windows systems are so different from each other. If nothing else, we want to know if there are certain configurations that people such as yourself are having problems with. Maybe it is due to some change in Cakewalk that only affects systems with some component or other that you're using. Sometimes we have knowledge about specific hardware because we're running it ourselves. If you said that you were running a Saffire Pro 40 on a Dell Optiplex with an nVidia GPU, I'd have special insight into that. I'd tell you what drivers I was using, etc.

If you said you were running on Windows 7, Cakewalk is leaving that platform behind. It's not officially supported. The devs still want to know if Cakewalk won't work on it, but they (and the beta team) don't test on it anymore.

As pointed out earlier, the various components each have their own drivers that get updated (or not). With the way that Microsoft is handling forced updates, systems change often whether they want them to or not. Other software can mess with drivers (MAGIX and Steinberg products notoriously install their own ASIO drivers, which have known issues in Cakewalk, Realtek's ASIO driver puts the a55 in "ASIO"). On your system, Cakewalk is starting up okay, but then as soon as you start a project, it crashes. That means that it's tripping over something at that point. Whether it's Cakewalk's "fault" or whatever else's.

And really, lose the 'tude, dude. We're only trying to help you get your DAW working again, even if you don't like our approach. A simple, "no, I just wanted to know if anyone knew when the next release was going to be out" after the first replies was all that was necessary.

Roll it back.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

On 5/26/2022 at 8:23 AM, Kyle Davis said:

Prior to this release Cakewalk was working just fine.

Since the current release caused problems for you, have you tried rolling it back to the previous release since that seemed to work for you?

Edited by User 905133
to a relevant quote
  • Great Idea 1