Guage

Jesse Screed

Let's say I want to run an extension cord for my laptop, midi keyboard, and computer speakers

and let's say I need to run it for 100 feet from the outlet

what is the cord I need, and is there a line conditioner or something I need so I don't ***** this up?

Thanks in advance

Exactly what signals are you sending? MIDI DIN is a 5 volt line and can degrade quickly in all but the best quality shielded conductors. USB loses too much level (from 3.3 volts) over about 30 feet, and your computer speakers are likely only pushing 500 milliwatts to maybe 5 watts, so 30 to 50 feet is about the limit.

I've built many professional studios where the MIDI DIN lines were never more than 50 feet, and even they got sketchy with the best Canare 5 conductor wire.

Good luck.

For 100 feet, the 14 gauge cord works for 11-13 Amps, while the 12 gauge cord is best suited for 14-15 amps. If your cord is 150 feet long, the 14 gauge is best suited for 1-7 Amps, whereas the 12 gauge will support 8-10 Amps. This shows that the extension cord's length also plays a part in the power it helps safely.

9 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Exactly what signals are you sending? MIDI DIN is a 5 volt line and can degrade quickly in all but the best quality shielded conductors. USB loses too much level (from 3.3 volts) over about 30 feet, and your computer speakers are likely only pushing 500 milliwatts to maybe 5 watts, so 30 to 50 feet is about the limit.

I've built many professional studios where the MIDI DIN lines were never more than 50 feet, and even they got sketchy with the best Canare 5 conductor wire.

Good luck.

I should have been more specific.  I would not be sending signals.  I will only be needing power for the laptop, speakers, focusrite solo, and midi keyboard.  I want to be able to "compose" outside under the trees.  Thanks for the advice Outrage!

9 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

For 100 feet, the 14 gauge cord works for 11-13 Amps, while the 12 gauge cord is best suited for 14-15 amps. If your cord is 150 feet long, the 14 gauge is best suited for 1-7 Amps, whereas the 12 gauge will support 8-10 Amps. This shows that the extension cord's length also plays a part in the power it helps safely.

Thanks Tim, I had seen those specs online, but wanted to make sure I was being accurate. I appreciate your verifying that I should be OK.

Tim's specs are right so there is nothing to add. And today, most gear just sips electricity compared to the days when we used vacuum tubes that required huge transformers.

If you are using a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) a power conditioner should be built in. If you are not using a UPS, get a power conditioner. Your gear will be safer and probably last longer.

On stage, a UPS is not practical, so I use a Tripp-Lite Power Conditioner.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫