Sign in to follow this  
Moxica

Weird phantom sounds.

Posted (edited)

What is going on in track #3 - Vocaltrack? (Green, expanded track)
It is soloed, and I could not share driver with my screengrabber, so I filmed it with my camera. General hiss is upon Nikon.
I have bounced to clip and applied trimming. 
Still these phantom sounds appear after the clip ends:

Edited by Moxica

I thinking that you have another 'Take Lane' on that trk that is not muted, and promoted.

Posted (edited)

Hmm.. I do not recall using it. I will check. Thanks.

Edited by Moxica

Sounds like an electrical pop to me , maybe somewhere in you cables.  Thru most of it the left side of your meter is spiking higher ...  Are the noises ever present on any other track soloed ?  One part of it almost sounds like footsteps..  Any paranormal activity ??                            mark

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Sounds like your latency is too low, that's the kind of popping and clicking you can get.  Does that track have a reverb on it or other high latency effects?  Set your audio buffer to a much bigger number, as big as you can.

edit: Come to think of it a latency hit wouldn't move the track's meters (at least I don't think it would).  Is it a live mic?  Is the sound the same every time?

Edited by Matthew Sorrels

Posted (edited)

Tricky one it seems. 
No active cable connections. 
The track is soloed, and the sound is on this track only.
It was recorded some time ago, and there are no latency issues on playback.

Edited by Moxica

Made it go silent just now:

Disabling the three plugins helped. Activating them one by one, I found the culprit; the equalizer. 
I moved the EQ in front of the compressor, and the phantom was gone.
Thank you all for your contributions.

• Like 2

@Moxica, if the edit option is still available you may want to edit the thread header so everyone knows the issue is resolved.  It will help future readers searching to resolve a similar issue.

What were the three plugins you were using?  Might be interesting to know since they together seemed to be making sounds out of nothing.

The plugins on the track were:

Tube-Tech Classic Channel
Tokyo dawn TDR Nova
Eosis E²Deesser

(I have tagged this thread as solved).

• Thanks 1

A project of mine had weird popping during silence and I traced it to "plug-in load balancing". If you still have a version of the project that has those pops, and it's not too much trouble, maybe you could try turning off plug-in load balancing (Edit > Preferences > Audio - Playback and Recording, just below the "Use Multiprocessing Engine") to see if your weird phantom noises go away. If so, maybe you could send in your trouble report. (Mine in the old Forum)

If these plugins are causing this sound when there is no input, what do they do to the sound itself? I don't know if I would want to use them if they are making that kind of noise when idle, what kind of noise are they adding to your signal?

Just curious - the Nova has a wide-band compression feature, here is a brief bit from page 11 of the Nova user manual on it, so wondering why you would be adding in the Tube Tech Channel and using its compression (again, just curious):

"CHANNEL STRIP NOVA can also be used much like a conventional channel-strip:  A compressor followed by an equalizer. This is basically just a mixture of the scenarios “PARAMETRIC EQUALIZATION” and “WIDEBAND COMPRESSION” highlighted above. But it works surprisingly well in the mixing stage."

Bob Bone

I've got somethings to learn about the Nova. This was recorded some time ago, and I'm not sure what I went for.
Typically I would go for the "deresonate" feature in Nova.