Total Studio Max 4 (Speculative)

cclarry

3 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

We'd likely need one more flagship full version update in there before v4 drops.

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I KNEW I should have waited before getting into the SYN2GB.  :-( 

1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

That's the opposite of what I was saying.  Flagships are things like AmpliTube, T-RacKS, SampleTank.  MODO BASS 2 is not going to trigger TS4 coming out.

My comment was based on my original plan stemming from my past experience, namely that once I decided to participate in GB25, soon after that, the MAX Bundle came out with an introductory price that would have been better for me (more stuff that I didn't have) if had not jumped onto the GB25 bandwagon.  In other words, if TS MAX4 includes Syntronik 2 MAX (in addition to the new Basses and Drums for the MODOs), I will have made the same mistake by not waiting for it.

Oh.  I think I get it.  You were saying in effect "Don't look for v4 anytime soon, because there would have to be a new flagship full version of something like Amplitube, T-RackS, or Sample Tank first and there isn't anything like that in the pipeline."

In that case, if SampleTank 4 gets a major upgrade so that Syntronik 2 and ST5 are more in sync in terms of editing and use, I can certainly wait!

Edited by User 905133
typo repairs

6 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Obviously it's too late for you, but for anybody else...

The best deal on Total Studio is after a new version comes out and then goes on sale.  You will have to pay $$ (maybe $99 or more) to upgrade to TS4, but you might have been able to do the upgrade for around the same price.

But it's totally cool.  You can start enjoying the software right now and there's a value in that.

Don't forget that IK allows you to resell licenses.  All the individual licenses you purchased after TS 2 and before TS 3.5 you can sell.

Maybe a better deal could have been possible I agree. Probable in fact. To those looking at these bargains- Places like Musicians Friend do not specify which generation of Max you need to update at the 99.00 price point. I had to dig to find that out.. If you buy the wrong version you might be required to pay the difference before they unlock it for you.

Version 2 to 3.5 was the reason for my price. If I had version 3 upgrading to 3.5 I could have had it for the 99 dollars. My price was 199 with jam points or 158.00. Normal retail on 3.5 is 399.00  aside from the MAX promotions.

I forget what I paid for version 2 . To get a better feel for value I would need to add that price to what I just paid. I'm thinking it was something like 199.00 on sale. 199 + 158= 357.00. This is how I see myself cumulatively getting to version 3.5 over time. If we go to version 4 at 99.00, I will have 456.00 cumulative investment to get to version 4.  If at some point version 4 goes on sale for 399.00 I'm behind the ball if you look at it like that.

Thanks for the suggestion to sell additional licenses. If I factored in all of those extra side buys, this is where things get interesting. I am WAY behind the ball. I paid separately for ARC3, B3X organ, TRacks 5, Sampletank 4, Sunset sound reverb, Lurssen mastering console and three or four other items that I am not remembering right now. I participated in several group buys and picked up all kinds of plugins. If I factor in all of that I'm into this total for over a grand. Could have easily been cut by at least 30%. TBH I was unaware there WAS a MAX when I bought a bunch of this stuff.

On the plus side, I didn't have Mixbox or MODO drum. I didn't have the new keyboards, rhodes etc. I was missing several TRacks modules. I will gain a bunch of Amplitube modules. My older MODO bass will be updated to 1.5. All in all if I had stayed with MAX updates ONLY I would have fared better.

My guess is maybe the Group buys are  mostly for those persons who don't see themselves ever getting MAX. Patience is where this can pay off. IK seems to update MAX AFTER they release newer versions of some of their  products, and I don't blame IK or Peter because not everyone is going to want MAX. Some only buy single programs like Amplitube.

All in all, I'm still happy. We don't only pay for new additions, we pay for improvements in the software itself . I think IK is a decent company who aside from a few minor wrinkles gets things right.

And I'm writing entirely too much about this :)

• Like 1

@Tim Smith given group buys, sales etc. I suspect that the resale value of IKM products might be so low that it might not be worth the effort. YMMV

TBH I've never looked at it closely but a peruse of KVR Forum might reveal what the going prices is for individual items are.

• Like 1

Unless you plan on GIVING them away, don't bother.
After paying the transfer fee, and having to deal with IK
Support after getting the infamous "you have reached your transfer limit"
message, it's a complete waste of time!  The resale is virtually NOTHING!

Edited by cclarry

Thanks for the FYI. I have always had a much tougher time selling than buying. I hate to sell stuff. I loathe the process. TBH I have never sold or transferred any software or plugins..After I sort through my stuff and figure out what I'm duplicated on I don't mind giving the seconds away to someone who would use it and not try to re sell it.

I didn't plan to try to unload anything in the near future. I'll just chalk it up to lessons learned. Hopefully this might help someone else.

Edited by Tim Smith
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 3:21 PM, cclarry said:

That meand that T-Racks 6 is looming out there...

I would second this.  T-RackS is still not M1 Native.  SampleTank 4 already is.

T-RackS 5 was released in 2017.

• Like 1