Sand Piper

mark skinner

(New Mix) .  Hello , here is an ambient track I've created to fill a hole in a cello project that I've been slowly building. First time using a 57 on cello instead of a large condenser mic. I got a little different sound than I normally do.  I pulled the ocean waves and sea bird sounds from an old Yamaha AW 16g stand alone I used before getting into pc daws.  Any suggestions for improvement will be Greatly appreciated.      Thanks ..  mark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/sand-piper?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharinghttps://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/sand-piper?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 3

Thanks , Jesse and Jack for your time and for responding.  I Really appreciate it.  To @Larry T. I also appreciate the time you took to guide me to a precise problem area. Going back to the mix,  there is a volume node at that exact spot that I've been to a couple of times. I've dropped it another 1.5 db and and reduced it further down the time line. It sounds a Lot better.  Great call !      I'll repost a new mix later after any other suggestions.      Thank You ..   mark

• Like 1

Mark . . . what great art you've made here in this one  . . . the opening plucked parts are so playful, painting the sand pipers darting in and out of the waves . . . and when the cello enters, for me it evokes a somewhat emotional feeling of longing. Maybe that's just me, but some of my favourite classical music has that ability to be beautiful and painful all at the same time, depending how you interpret as a listener.

There's a part around 2:33 where you add either some extra delay or reverb to the cello, in a rising melody . . . really liked that effect, and got me thinking there were a few other places in the piece where you could do that to add some depth and ambience. Enjoyed my many listens so much !

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

"Bruce , the part you mentioned at 2:33 had no additional processing. I may have just gotten lucky with the delay timing and the bow stroke.    Thank You !    mark"

Hey, you gotta' be good to be lucky !

• Like 1