Adding notes in a midi file

Daniël Bethlem

Question

Hi folks, I paid for Cakewalk a few times in the past. Now it is free but still for sale? What is the difference? I used it mostly for midi files, the paid versions anyway.

Maybe the paid version will fix my problem: I cannot put a note with my mouse in any place in a measure. If I try, it gets to the first beat. Even if a try to modify a note somewhere in a measure it goes to the beginning of that measure.

All of a sudden and I am pretty sure it worked as usual not too long ago. At least it did in the free version. Which crashes sometimes by the way, never had that with paid versions (starting in 2001).

4 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Daniël Bethlem said:

Hi folks, I paid for Cakewalk a few times in the past. . . . 

I cannot put a note with my mouse in any place in a measure. If I try, it gets to the first beat. Even if a try to modify a note somewhere in a measure it goes to the beginning of that measure.

1. By any chance are you using the Staff View to enter notes?
  2. If so, is your prior experience ("paid version") with pre-Skylight versions, that is to say, pre-X1 versions of SONAR? 

If so, the Staff View is a bit different than what you are used to and it would be worth your while to spend some time understanding and getting practice using the Control Bar's Tools Module and the controls in CbB's version of the Staff View.

In any case (Staff View or Piano Roll View), the comments related to whole note snap and snap to grid sound like an excellent place to start looking to account for your inability to place notes any where within a measure.