Audio Assault new amp - The Crown (Mesa Boogie Triple Crown 100)

filo

3 Channel Californian Amp Sim

Modeled on the Mesa Boogie Triple Crown 100*

A part of the new breed of American amps, The Crown can get you any tone your are after.

Features
* Switchable Power Tubes

* Pre/Post Tonestack
* 3 Versatile Channels
* Tight Switch on all Channels
* Movable 3D Mics, and adjustable IRs

* Double Tracking Emulation
* Tuner

$10

https://audioassault.mx/collections/plugins/products/thecrown

ampcrown.png?v=1653199576

Edited by filo
add
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, cclarry said:

Amplitube sounds the best to my poor old ears...

Are you able to hear how Amplitube is really rolled off compared to the other two? I listened using Sennheiser HD-600's, and it really sounds deadened compared to the other two. But I do like high gain metal 🙂

I wonder if it was using the same IR for all three though. 

Edited by Craig N
tube ... I always get that wrong
  • Like 1

The lows definitely seem rolled off on Amplitube, but that's what makes it take it's place.
TC100 is "neck and neck" - The others, to me, sound dead and lifeless.  My order would be 

Amplitube
Audio Assault TC100
Fractal Axe FX
FM-3

FM-3  sounds REALLY "flat and boxy" (lifeless)
And changing the curve didn't help that much IMO.

I will say that's it's very close between Amplitube and the TC100.  
Different sections sound better than others with both...but they
still sound better than either Axe FX.

It would be nice to know if "all things were as equal as possible" in the test.

11 minutes ago, cclarry said:

The lows definitely seem rolled off on Amplitube, but that's what makes it take it's place.
TC100 is "neck and neck" - The others, to me, sound dead and lifeless.  My order would be 

Amplitube
Audio Assault TC100
Fractal Axe FX
FM-3

FM-3  sounds REALLY "flat and boxy" (lifeless)
And changing the curve didn't help that much IMO.

I will say that's it's very close between Amplitube and the TC100.  
Different sections sound better than others with both...but they
still sound better than either Axe FX.

It would be nice to know if "all things were as equal as possible" in the test.

What equipment are you listening on? It's the high end that's really rolled off with Amplitube. 

I'm just listening on my Monitor speakers...and while the highs may be rolled off, the lows are too.
It's sitting like it should in a mix (IMO)  TC100 is too...and I think his identification may be off
on these in the video, but I hear what you're hearing...because, as I said, in some places Amp and TC sound different, but still better than
the Axe FX

• Like 1

Sorry King, but IK sounds like piss.

Listening through an ADI 2 DAC, through 2 WA73 preamps into a Yamaha RECEIVER, using its headphone output.

The preamps give the signal something that makes it sound 1000x better and removes 99% of its harshness (ADI 2's headphone output is just trash).

Anyway, the Audio Assault sounds very much like the Fractal, wow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well, as far as I am concerned, the AT5 version 5hits on this. Sorry it just does.

I told myself last time I checked out one of their amps, never again, it's just wasting my time.

I hope I learn this time, the old adage, "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I had one of these little guys back in the day, traded it in for a JCM 800.  

If you like the MB sound, just bandpass the heck out of your signal, master volume your way to the moon and you're basically there.

ssmrw8qvqlzawj6lyvtc.jpg

Edited by John Nelson
  • Like 1

Ok, on the first part I stand by my point (Fractal and AS sounding very similar, prob Fractal better, IK not good).

But then on the 2nd part the Fractal with the Resistive cabinet sounds way better, and better than the IK.

The IK doesn't sound bad on the 2nd part of the video, but omg does it sound lifeless (on the 2nd part of the video, the IK sounds different from the first part of the video, and doesn't sound like piss).

Now it seems we don't agree, I guess we are all guitar players? 😆

(Not exactly thread related but I wanted to add: when I watch movies, sound is amazing, you can tell they focused on quality sound 200% vs 99% of all Youtube+youtubers, that's why I can't really watch that much Youtube even though I wanted to. Although with my setup, I reiterate: Harshness is gone 99%).

• Like 1

Don't worry about what it sounds like on a youtube video, have them on your PC, set up and rarin' to go.

Face to face, in person as it were is the only way.

After you've done that, leave them alone, and try just one the next day, and give it a good work out, then the next day try the other and give it a good work out.

It matters not in the end, we all like what we like, it is what it is.

Edited by heath row
  • Like 2

Just thought I’d chime in on this thread as I did the comparison video posted above.

Its the same IR throughout (and the labels are correct). The tones may not be to everyone’s taste but they will never please everyone, so that’s fine. The point was really to show that Audio Assault and FM-3 behave very similarly. I was surprised that Amplitube was quite different - not bad necessarily, but surprising that it’s so dull at basically any settings which isn’t really representative of the real amp, or other emulations. I honestly can’t understand CCLarry’s comments at all - Amplitube sounds bandpassed and flat compared to the other 2 to my ear.

Surprisingly, I tried some other amplitube models that always felt a bit dark to me and every time when I changed the FM-3 to a resistive load, it got closer to Amplitubes sound. V5 should have improved on these impedance interaction behaviours but it still sounds to me like they may have been modelled with a strange load attached.

Some people may enjoy the duller and softer sound it gives, but I only tend to use 4x12’s with my amps so I usually like the response they give when being driven by an amp.

Anyway, thanks for checking the video out guys and I hope it was useful to you. There’s lots of great guitar gear available these days and lots of it is very inexpensive, we’re totally spoiled. I still love real amps and cabs most, but I’m honestly staggered how closely most emulations these days can match my amps (check my other videos if you’d like proof of that).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I agree that, on the first pass, Amplitube sounds a bit flat, and the second pass, but after the "curve" change on the FM-3,
and if you say the "Labels" in the video are correct, Amplitube sounds better then any of them, and
that is why I said they "sound different in different places", which they should NOT, so IMO, based
on after the "Curve" change, Ampitube sounds better.  To ME....the FM-3 sounds REALLY FLAT AND
LIFELESS in ALL instances. and the TC-100 sounds way to fuzzy and treble-y, which obviously can be fixed,
and again, that's ME.  To ME, Amplitube sounds more "mix ready" and less harsh...YMMV

Now, when you consider the PRICE difference, I'd opt for the TC-100...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

I agree that, on the first pass, Amplitube sounds a bit flat, and the second pass, but after the "curve" change on the FM-3,
and if you say the "Labels" in the video are correct, Amplitube sounds better then any of them, and
that is why I said they "sound different in different places", which they should NOT, so IMO, based
on after the "Curve" change, Ampitube sounds better.  To ME....the FM-3 sounds REALLY FLAT AND
LIFELESS in ALL instances. and the TC-100 sounds way to fuzzy and treble-y, which obviously can be fixed,
and again, that's ME.  To ME, Amplitube sounds more "mix ready" and less harsh...YMMV

Now, when you consider the PRICE difference, I'd opt for the TC-100...

Right, but my point of showing the example with the resistive curve really was that something seems wrong with amplitube. If I was going for a darker tone, I’d adjust the amp settings or IR rather than change to a resistive load. The other 2 emulations have enough of a range to be dialled in to so sound darker, or a different IR can be used - it’s a pretty versatile amp. What surprised me was that Amplitube doesn’t seem to be able to be dialled bright enough, and it seems that the issue may be down to how they’ve modelled the power amp. 

If they sound consistent when using a resistive load, then it’s not a particularly useful or representative example of how the amp sounds in real world use.

I can’t remember for definitely, but I’m pretty sure the amplitube tone is exactly the same in both parts of the video. I just changed the fm-3’s load and suddenly it sounded more like Amplitube.

Liking the darker tone is absolutely fine, and may even be an improvement in your opinion. I’d still rather strive for the most accurate emulation first and foremost. The ideal would be that the load changes when you change cabs so you can match the load to whatever cab IR you’re using. At the least, modelling with the matching cab is a pretty good place to start.

FWIW, I own Amplitube and almost all of the expansions. I like it for what it is, it’s improved a lot over the years and some models are pretty accurate. I also think if they improved their power amp modelling then it would be one of the best available, but at the moment something isn’t quite right. 

Edited by Edward Sokolowski
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edward Sokolowski said:

Tbh, I spent about 5 seconds dialling them in and matching so you can probably match them closer. Even just dialling them to where I thought they sounded good, they were very close. I think they’re both in the right ballpark

This!

I've seen videos where  Amplitube sounds beyond stellar.

• Like 1