Missing Audio Files...

pmj_rit

Question

I have looked around for an answer to this and not found one, sorry.

I moved a project from one computer to another and I keep getting a 'missing audio files' message.  I would like to have a way to delete the references to these files from the project - I do not want or need them. 

Edited by pmj_rit

9 answers to this question

Audio clips are not stored in the project files.

The clips are stored separately most often in an Audio folder wherever the project file is located.

Project files contain references to where the clips are physically located.

When clips are missing in a project, the area where the clips should be in the project display placeholders, effectively clips with no sound.

Delete these placeholders from the tracks in the project then save the project and the references to the missing clips will no longer be in the project.

10 hours ago, scook said:

Audio clips are not stored in the project files.

The clips are stored separately most often in an Audio folder wherever the project file is located.

Project files contain references to where the clips are physically located.

When clips are missing in a project, the area where the clips should be in the project display placeholders, effectively clips with no sound.

Delete these placeholders from the tracks in the project then save the project and the references to the missing clips will no longer be in the project.

Thank you. I realised that.  I am looking for the references and cannot find them.

I can see that clips have been created by Cakewalk when I froze some of the tracks on the previous computer. The properties for these clips (in the inpsector) do not show any reference to the files.  If I delete the clips it also deletes ALL the automation for the track. If I right click on the clip and go to Associated Audio Files the dialog displayed gives no way to delete the file.  Also if I open Project | Audio Files this dialog gives no way to delete the files.

It should be simple.  Never mind I can live with it.

Edited by pmj_rit

You did not say they were frozen tracks.

And it would help to know if the frozen tracks originally contained audio or are frozen synths.

How did you move the project? 

• Just move the cwp file or
  •  move the folder containing the cwp file along with the associated folders?

Are you using the default per-project audio layout where a project folder contains the project file and an audio folder (if the project contains audio including frozen tracks)?

If the original audio files are available to the project and the frozen clips (which should be in the same folder as the original audio BTW) are not, unfreeze the tracks.

If the frozen tracks are synths, try unfreezing them.

40 minutes ago, scook said:

You did not say they were frozen tracks.

And it would help to know if the frozen tracks originally contained audio or are frozen synths.

How did you move the project? 

• Just move the cwp file or
  •  move the folder containing the cwp file along with the associated folders?

Are you using the default per-project audio layout where a project folder contains the project file and an audio folder (if the project contains audio including frozen tracks)?

If the original audio files are available to the project and the frozen clips (which should be in the same folder as the original audio BTW) are not, unfreeze the tracks.

If the frozen tracks are synths, try unfreezing them.

They were frozen and then unfrozen - as far as I remember (this was on the previous machine).  Please don't stress anymore.  It really is only a minor irritation to me, mainly because it holds up the project loading (and sometimes I go away from the computer while projects are loading).  It seems that the audio files remained attached even though they were no longer needed.

I still think though that basically it should be possible to manage these elements more effectively.   E.g. in Project | Audio Files a check box to indicate that a file is still needed and attached.

Yes it’s very easy to manage. You transfer projects by making a back up copy to a portable storage device. 
Open the project on the old computer and use:

Save As

Copy all audio with project 

Browse to the storage device 

That version will be identical to the original and this cleans out unused audio files as well.
I have transferred hundreds of Cakewalk projects for a long long time now and the only time I ever got that message was from very old projects that I might have saved before I understood the system. In the old day per project folders were optional, now it’s the default.