My old interface is frying . Replacement options ?

mark skinner

I've lost my single high Z input. Shorting out. I'm wanting to replace it with something in the Focusrite price range and am really leaning towards the UA Volt 2 . I only need 2 in for my needs but ,  would prefer L/R line inputs also. I can do the research but wondering just How Important is the quality of the interface as far as playback and tracking "sound quality"  I found some drivers  for an old M-audio Fast track I used in XP , so I'm not in a Real hurry , but I  don't want to buy something I'll regret later.  Thanks for any help or suggestions..  mark

The audio quality is completely dependent upon your audio interface - not just for output but the quality of recording.

in general, similarly priced units preform similarity.  There are only so many ways to make a dollar preamp, and only a couple of chip manufacturers so everyone’s interfaces use the same designs and parts.  Drivers are different, but most are competent these days.

a $100 interface is pretty good these days but have one pre and maybe only one record channel.  The least expensive “ pro” unit is a pci unit from lynx that costs &250 to $400 a channel.  Burls go for $2500 for stereo input and as much as output.

more typically, I use an audient unit.  Good quality ( Burr Brown chips) solid drivers.  You can find their cheaper units reasonable if a few dollars higher.  I’ve used Tascam which are fine, as were Roland interfaces.

one caveat is to use a responsible dealer.  If you do have driver/software problems just switch to another company that your computer plays nice with.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alan Tubbs said:

The audio quality is completely dependent upon your audio interface - not just for output but the quality of recording.

Thanks Alan , I guess that was really my main question. I am hearing a difference with the old one I have hooked up now and my normal Roland one , but nothing drastic. I haven't checked out audient yet. Thanks.

21 hours ago, jackson white said:

Maybe open it up and re-solder the connections to the board for the input jack?  

I carefully opened , cleaned and dried the boards , jacks etc. I didn't see anything visually wrong , I'll try re soldering . Maybe the jack itself can be replaced.  @rsinger I'll check out  motu as well , Thanks. @DeeringAmps I'll leave the pro gear for the pro's.  :)     Thanks for weighing in ..      mark

• Like 1

One thing about audio quality the differential between pro and consumer tools these days is it ain’t as large as the old days.  A modern cheap interface is a lot closer in sound to the big boys these days.  You can do quality work with most modern units.  You could in the past too but you needed skill and experience to get good sound from 1/32 of an inch of tape and it still wasn’t the same.

• Like 1

@jackson white I re soldered the connections. I honestly think it helped but still happening , but not as frequent. I started doubting my new guitar cable and the interface gain knob. I hooked up some outboard gear and fed everything to both the 1/4" and XLR input. Everything pointed to the 1/4 , but I did find a workaround for now using the XLR in going from an outboard preamp.  I'm sifting thru interfaces  , there sure are a Lot of choices.   Thanks  ..mark

Edited by mark skinner