How to feed Waves Abbey Road Studio?

Jeremy Murray-Wakefield

Question

Does anyone know how it's possible to configure Waves Abbey Road Studio surround to work in Cakewalk?

Or is there no way to feed a multichannel VST in Cakewalk?

When I insert it in a surround bus, it just creates multiple instances of the plugin - which is no use at all:

image.png.54bf8b6cbbf52f9172cb493fa4f5210d.png

It also doesn't even seem possible to route to any of its inputs other than "Left Input" and "Right Input":

image.png.4ef0bb0b6dbb91936bb6c788133b2073.png

Which is weird, because Cakewalk clearly understands how many inputs it has:

image.png.97fdfabc8801bf414daca4bd314952f8.png

Anyone - especially Cakewalk Staff - have any ideas/workarounds?

Thanks in advance,

JMW.

6 answers to this question

This is odd. I've never tried working with surround in Cakewalk so I don't know, but research via Google suggests that surround plug-ins aren't supported. Yet as you point out, Cakewalk sees that it has 8 inputs. It recognizes them, it just doesn't know what to do with them?

Doubly odd, since Waves claims compatibility with Cakewalk by BandLab.

I'd also contact Waves and ask them exactly what they mean by "compatible."

On 5/21/2022 at 10:05 AM, scook said:

See https://www.waves.com/plugins/abbey-road-studio-3#tab-tech-specs|tab-supported-hosts

There are only a few hosts that support surround sound and CbB is not one of them.

OK but can you then explain howcome preferences allows you to completely customise and configure the surround sound configuration for your project, then add surround sound mix busses into it, and then have Cakewalk automatically add fully-functional 3D surround panners to every channel routed to such busses?

Edited by Jeremy Murray-Wakefield

39 minutes ago, Jeremy Murray-Wakefield said:

OK but can you then explain howcome preferences allows you to completely customise and configure the surround sound configuration for your project, then add surround sound mix busses into it, and then have Cakewalk automatically add fully-functional 3D surround panners to every channel routed to such busses?

Because this is how surround support is implemented in the DAW.

Support for plug-ins in a surround FX rack comes from SurroundBridge.

I am not sure there were any VST surround plug-ins available when surround was added to SONAR.

5 hours ago, scook said:

Because this is how surround support is implemented in the DAW.

OK - I’m sure that you’ll admit that it’s a bit confusing when in you say emphatically in one post that Cakewalk does not support surround sound, and then in a following post, say that it does.

But yes, I do get the fact that multichannel VST plug-ins are not supported within the architecture of one channel/buss etc.  - I was looking to see if anyone knew of any routing workarounds (such as other Bridge software, patch-points etc.) 

Any ideas anyone?

This was meant to be in the context of the link

On 5/21/2022 at 4:05 AM, scook said:

See https://www.waves.com/plugins/abbey-road-studio-3#tab-tech-specs|tab-supported-hosts

There are only a few hosts that support surround sound and CbB is not one of them.

It could have been clearer if I wrote:

There are only a few hosts that support surround sound plug-ins and CbB is not one of them.