SOLVED: tapping space bar loses MIDI connection?

pax-eterna

Just had this weird problem happen. I load up a VST get all the connections set, MIDI ok, and playing, press the space bar to start playback VST plays fine, press the space bar again to stop/pause playback and then when I press spacebar again to restart playback the MIDI connection to the VST is lost? I re-load the VST preset I am using (by loading a different preset then going back to the original)  and it plays fine again.

Repeat the space bar thing and it loses it again.  EDIT: actually not sure if it is MIDI - the green bars indicating MIDI input (when it is working) flash nearly to the top but when the issue happens I can still see tiny amounts of MIDI activity if I press keys (controller)strongly - there is still no sound though

Anyone have any ideas on this please?

Edited by pax-eterna
additional info

Make sure that your keyboard focus is set to Cakewalk by clicking Cakewalk's GUI before slapping the spacebar to make certain the synth is not somehow stealing key strokes. Also in the upper (right?) of the synth there should be a keyboard icon that means send keystokes to plugin. Make certain that's not enabled.

I don't think this is a loss of MIDI connection.

I think its more likely that you've got "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" checked: 

image.png.b494ccdd09f87a7fccc78dea6aa926b6.png

Some VST's, for some crazy reason, have their volume set to react to things like the modulation wheel. Resetting this to zero on stop effectively turns the volume off.

When you re-select your preset, this resets all the VST's parameters - including the volume - so it goes back to normal again.

Try unchecking "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" in preferences.

Note this is a per-project setting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I think its more likely that you've got "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" checked: 

Some VST's, for some crazy reason, have their volume set to react to things like the modulation wheel. Resetting this to zero on stop effectively turns the volume off.

When you re-select your preset, this resets all the VST's parameters - including the volume - so it goes back to normal again.

Bingo!! That was it. Thanks heaps for that. I'd have spent hours and probably still not found that!

On 6/18/2019 at 7:51 PM, msmcleod said:

Is there a list out there somewhere of plugins that are subject to this?

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Is there a list out there somewhere of plugins that are subject to this?

Unfortunately no, and even with one common offender (ARIA Player), it is actually not the player itself, but defined into the instrument loaded into it. Since CbB will look backwards down the track prior to playing, it is almost always better to leave that setting unchecked and use/record automation lanes for parameters.

9 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The new Kontakt Play series in NI Komplete 12 do this, e.g. Analog Dreams, Ethereal Earth & Hybrid Keys.

The Play Series Selection comes with the free Komplete Start, and has selected presets from Analog Dreams, Ethereal Earth & Hybrid Keys.

Some of them are very good!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

The Play Series Selection comes with the free Komplete Start, and has selected presets from Analog Dreams, Ethereal Earth & Hybrid Keys.

Some of them are very good!

Yeah, I really like them.

But I did a HUGE face palm when I found out their volume was mapped to the mod wheel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1