Can't Wait - work in progress (remixed 6/23)

Lynn Wilson

Here's a song that I've been working on the last two weeks, and I've taken it as far as I can for the time being.  It's time for fresh ears and ideas.  Do I need to do more with this, or leave it alone?  I will say this; it has been a ball working on this song, and it's kind of a  tongue-in-cheek look at my life.  I turn this over to the forum, now, and thank all of you for your help.  It can be found here:  https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13888876

6/23-changed drums at intro and remixed louder as per suggestions from you all.

Edited by Lynn

Hey, Lynn,

Wow!  This song is pure dynamite!👍

Fantastic writing, great lyrics, great playing and absolutely outstanding vocals and harmonies!

The mix is clear, full, punchy, modern sounding and totally pro!

If this was one of mine, I wouldn't change a thing.

This is definitely my new favorite from you, Lynn, spectacular job!😀

Have a good one!
Bob

• Like 1

Lynn
I'm sitting in Starbucks with my new Sennheiser PXC 550 headphones bluetoothed to my laptop and listening to songs on the forum.
I wasn't so sure about that sci-fi movie thing at the very beginning but I really got into
the song once that cool bass started up. Really like that bass line and the bouncy synth accompaniment.

The mix sounds really good to me and I wish I could comment more on that but that's all I've got.
I did notice the separation of instruments which worked very well. And again, the vocal track is excellent
and your voice stands out in the mix like it should. Well done.

• Like 1

Trippy! Reminds me of surf music, psychedelic, sci-fi, Steely Dan, David Lee Roth, Smash Mouth and the Mission Impossible theme. Very unique. 

Mix sounds good to me. I can hear all the instruments and vox clearly. 

Nice job!

• Like 1

I'd like to take the time to thank all of you individually, but I'm short on time today, so I thank all of you collectively for your kind words and time.  You've managed to erase some of my doubts, and now I'm encouraged about this tune.  I was thinking about adding some more parts, but it's busy enough so I'll rest on this as it stands.  Btw, I've always liked wide stereo fields which is why I pan the way I do.  I relied on headphones (Sennheiser HD 300 Pro) more than previous mixes because more people listen on cans these days than ever before.  I hope it pays off.

Hi Lynn,

Your song is coming along rather nicely  . It certainly kept my interest as the song unfolded.

You have a lot of very interesting things going on with your songs  arrangement and I like how you paid homage to various guitar heavy musical genre's .

Some of those sections sounded very authentic ...It seems you must be holding out on some of us guitar peeps around here ...lol

Also , I wish I could sing like you ...Oh Yeah , very nice .

Kenny

• Like 1

Kenny and Daryl, thank you for taking a listen.  I'm very encouraged from what I'm hearing.  Daryl, I think you may be referring to the bass guitar because I didn't run that through Melodyne to tighten it up, yet.  I wanted to keep this as human sounding as long as I could get away with it.  lol  I'll be aware of this on the next go-round.

Nothing to add apart from Daryl's comment ,,, try the organic ..  you don't need Melodyne ... you've got a click track to play with

Stay loose mate and enjoy Lynn ... after all I like it (for a WIP)

Steve

• Like 1

For a WIP those vocals are suh-weet.  I can relate so totally to "being too familiar with a mix" and there comes a time to hear new idearrs! So my "fresh ears" are telling me a few things.

1. leave the vocals alone. They are friggin great already. Love the delay.

2. The intro - the bass is playing a really straight beat, while the drums have a little swagger. They aren't lining up. Once the song proper starts, it's all groovin. Question - do you need that intro?

3. The drum kit, the cymbals are pretty decent level, maybe a bit more reverb?  but ye olde snare seems kind of buried, and the kick is more implied than heard. This song doesn't need a big heavy kick or anything, maybe just a tad more.

4. Bass seems great. Moves things along nicely.

5. Whatever organ patch you have in the intro is nicely presented and a good volume. In the song itself, the patch changes, gets panned extreme right, is louder, and seems a little scrapey. Scrapey? and dry? You might try lower level and some cool reverb over there on that right organ.  As it occupies a similar eq space as the vocal does, it's a good decision to pull it all the way left. I think as is it has a scrapey quality that detracts attention from the vocal.

6 "Just as soon as you make me whole" . . . whatever you are calling that section - a "pre-chorus" ??   it's incredibly well mixed.

After a few listens it just grows on you. Nice one Lynn!

cheers,

-Tom

Edited by emeraldsoul
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, gtrpastor said:

Trippy! Reminds me of surf music, psychedelic, sci-fi, Steely Dan, David Lee Roth, Smash Mouth and the Mission Impossible theme. Very unique. 

Mix sounds good to me. I can hear all the instruments and vox clearly. 

Nice job!

I agree made me smile, thinking of secret agent man but then you take off in a whole new direction. cool song..

• Like 1

If I may have your attention:  I remixed and rewrote this song per your suggestions.

Steve, thanks for your time and comments.  I took advantage of the click track on this latest version.  I'm still having a blast!

Tom, I changed the drum tracks from a swing beat to a straight beat at the  intro to better accommodate the bass gtr.  which tightens this section, I hope.  I also mixed the drums louder which helps.  I'm leaving the synth pad as is for now, as I like the texture so far.  As always, your comments aid me and make me think.  Thanks!

Joad, I may have mixed influences somewhat with this, but I hear what you hear.  Much appreciated.

Douglas, I'm glad you liked it, but I went ahead and changed it, hopefully for the better.  However, Dick Dale lives on!

I really like this song.. as I have said before I love the vocals.
Everyone paints a different picture...  but that sound in the right speaker...  not sure what it is sounds screechy and a little bit irritating to me.
You have some amazing mixing skills Lynn,,   I learn a lot listening to your tracks.

Te Man from Uncle or  a James Bond movie 🙂

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 1

Gary, thanks for replying again.  That sound in the right channel is a synth pad from Rapture Pro.  I know we all hear things differently, and I wish I could hear it the way you do.  Tom (Emerald Soul) said something similar, so it's not just you.  I, however, find it to be fitting for the style, and I don't hear the scraping or screechiness that you two hear, but it could just be my ears.  Does anyone else hear it this way?  If so, it's an easy fix.  Thanks again!