My Big Day Off Watching Rockumentaries

Rain

16 hours ago, craigb said:

My favorite story (who cares if it's actually true, ya?):

Right in the middle of a concert in Ireland, Bono stops the music and starts clapping his hands slowly.  "Every time I clap my hands, a child dies in Africa!" he tells the crowd.  Then, someone near the front can be heard yelling back "Then fooking stop it!!!"  🤣

mine is when bono wrote to captain beefheart suggesting a collaboration of some kind, the captain replied "dear bongo, no" haha

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/19/2022 at 1:25 PM, SteveStrummerUK said:

6YhKxZQ.jpg

I am guessing you are as excited as I am about this one, right? ;)

image.thumb.png.9d5ab32cd690662e03ff908080c98bc4.png

I'll still be watching, though.

Edited by Rain
Expanded
  • Like 2

I have queued a lot of those recommendations on Prime, so thanks again folks.

This morning I was watching End of the Century (The Ramones). Apparently, Johnny and I like the same movies...

IMG_6075.thumb.jpg.fe96ecbd7d2bec89206ad454be71efa6.jpg

Now I need to find THAT version of the Dracula's Daughter poster. 

Edited by Rain

Once Were Brothers is about The Band by Robbie Robertson. I learned a ton about them I never knew. Some I wish I didn't know. I always thought Robbie was an ahole. Turns out he wasn't the problem.

There is an old one that is entertaining about rock in general called The Decline Of Western Civilization iirc. It has Gene Simmons and mamy others in it.

The one about The Wrecking Crew is great too. It used to be free on youtube. 

Sorry no links. Only have access on my cell.

As for The Who Im the same way. I don't get what people see in them. 

Flight 666 that Steve suggested absolutely blew my mind. I loved it. 

• Like 2

Since I'm 69 going on 70 I grew up absorbing all the bands from the British Invasion. 

I already liked The Who and Tommy was such a pivotal album from them to me. 

In 1969-70 (unsure exactly) I got to see The Who at Anaheim Stadium. Daltry says "We're gonna do a song from Tommy" and they proceed to do the entire album. It's not a concert video or rockumentary but I can still replay it in my head.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

I've been watching "The Story of Top of the Pops" in the 1990s on the BBC over the last few weeks.

It does a good job of highlighting the diversity of music in the UK charts.

All episodes are available here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00704hg/episodes/player?page=1 on the BBC iPlayer. Sign in is required so you'll need to be in the UK or use a VPN.

Or you can find episodes on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+story+of+top+of+the+pops

• Like 2

This is a cool story

Rachel Flowers

She even plays with Dweezil Zappa in Vegas.  Keith Emerson is a fan too.

and she uses, or was using Sonar.  The movie was released in 2017.

On Peacock, adds for the first 3 minutes, then add free the rest of the way through.

https://www.peacocktv.com/watch/playback/vod/GMO_00000000410656_01/0399e48d-17a9-3390-93e9-be6966f81a48

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

dead on arrival the punk documentary that almost never was 2017

Yes! In my watchlist on Prime. 

As are now many you guys have suggested and which I managed to find. For some reason, The Filth and the Fury seems to be unavailable on streaming services here. It is on YouTube though... 

1 hour ago, craigb said:

I'd watch some of the shows, but I'm too busy doing hallucinogens and listening to Jean-Michel Jarre and watching 4k trippy screen-savers.

(Or is that just me? 🤔)

Belive it or not, I am not too familiar with his work.

I am however a HUGE fan of his father's soundtrack for Jesus of Nazareth, which they had us watch in school every year for Easter. Some haunting pieces of music in there.