Cakewalk slow at adding new tracks and other things

RexRed

Cakewalk slow at adding new tracks and other things 

I have an RME Fireface UCX II interface.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

My recollection from older interfaces is, adding a new track should be instant.

Cakewalk is also installed on a M.2 drive and my content is on a solid state drive.

I just did a test, I turned off my RME interface and opened a new project.

Cakewalk complained there were no outputs for the master.

But the audio tracks then insert instantaneously. 

So it is the RME device that is slowing down Cakewalk.

Why is this happening?

You could try checking "Always open all devices" within Preferences->Audio->Playback and Recording.

On adding a track, Cakewalk enumerates all the devices for populating the input/output dropdowns in the track header.  This is much quicker if the devices are already open and ready to go.

• Like 1

Msmcleod, I tried your suggestion and still does not fix it.

Okay I have the latest firmware of the RME interface and the latest driver.

I plugged in one of my Behringer UMC 1620 interfaces and  audio tracks insert instantly into Cakewalk.

A tech guy at REM forum said it was either Cakewalk, Windows 11 or Windows security...

But, if my Behringer and my Realtek onboard sound both do not exhibit the same problem well I tend to think it is the RME driver that is at fault.

They told me at the RME forum to plug the RME device into another DAW so I own a copy of Mixcraft 9 and when I add an audio track into that it comes in instantaneously.

It would seem it is some sort of conflict between Cakewalk and the RME Driver.

This is what the REM tech guy posted:

Did you cross check with a demo version of another DAW (Reaper, Cubase).
What RME driver and firmware is in use?
Is Bandlab fully compatible with Windows 11 ?
Do you have a Windows 10 installation to check whether this might be a Windows 11 issue ?!
Are the new security features enabled on this Windows 11 version? They said the new security design slows everything down, why a little bit older CPUs are descoped / not compliant with Win11.

If this problem was just when I add a track I would not mind it so much but it is prevalent in almost everything.

When I add a bus, reroute a bus or arm and disarm a track...

Adding effects, copying effects...

My whole work flow I am constantly fighting this problem. 

Hello Lapasoa,

Thanks for your help, do you use Cakewalk with your RME device and do you also use Windows 11? 

When I switch my audio interface in Cakewalk to the Behringer UMC 1820 there is no issue.

So my issue does involve the RME interface.

What is causing the issue is still a mystery to me.

It has been said that the issue could be Windows 11 security.

How would I go about checking if that is the problem?

Could Windows security be isolating my RME drivers somehow?

Why is this only in Cakewalk this is happening and why not in Mixcraft 9?

It is like my event list is somehow "sanctioned" behind layers of security...  

This is a wild guess, but I'd compare MMCSS settings in Cakewalk and the RME driver control panel (if available there).  There are some difference of opinions as to where MMCSS should be enabled, and if they conflict, there *might* be a problem.  Enable it in only one place, and if you can't disable it in the RME control panel, then disable it in Cakewalk to make sure it's not being enabled there.

• Like 1

Thanks Kevin for the great tips! I tried disabling MMCSS in either or both of the interface and within Cakewalk and no change.

Okay I have progressed a bit here.

Today I installed the RME Fireface UCX drivers onto my Streaming computer.

Then I installed CBB. It worked fine audio tracks inserted instantly.

This rules out that I have a faulty REM device. 

I do have a Cakewalk install that is corrupted (I think maybe in the registry).

I worried about that because it took me hours to install X2, X3 Platinum and CBB

What a convoluted mess that was.

I installed the old versions of Cakewalk because I wanted to use the instruments and I like the chorus flange effect that came with the older versions. 

Also some of my old projects may still have v-vocal on them.

I am going to back up my VST folders then I am going to uninstall all of the Cakewalk stuff and then scrub the registry.

Wish me luck please.

I think it is Windows 11, a short while ago I upgraded my OS from Windows 10 to 11 and then I cloned my HD because I swapped a 1tb solid state drive for a 2tb solid state drive.

It is like Windows 10 is still there trying to run things, fighting over who runs what.

I need a new OS with no checkered past.

If the problem is still there then it is a driver issue with my main board.

I can't use Cakewalk like this.

It takes a few seconds to insert the track and then it takes another couple second before my mouse is free to click things again.

If I click too soon Cakewalk says "not responding"...

What a mess!

Windows has like zero ability to repair itself.

Yes I can use it this way but it is sloooow!

Like reinstalling nearly 20 TB of programs is better than Microsoft providing a program to repair Windows.

And getting out of the developer loop is also an issue, I don' want an OS that is not fully tested.

I did it to get Windows 11 early and now I am stuck with a perpetually untested OS.

I have a Frankenstein OS.

Lots of reasons to do a clean install.

If this does not work then it is a new PC...

I will let you know how this turns out.

Edited by RexRed

Here is an update...

I installed Windows 11 from within Windows 11 and created an abomination.

My programs files has tons of other stuff (orphans) left over from the last Windows 11 installation.

Also when I installed Cakewalk there was no change, it still took 5 seconds for a track to insert and about 4 seconds before Cakewalk would respond after. 

So I formatted my C drive and erased all of the files.

Now, I only have two of my inputs and outputs active with the interface.

Currently it takes about 2 seconds to insert a track and there is no freezing of Cakewalk afterwards. 

THIS I can live with.

I have almost 2 TB of VSTs to install I hope this does not gradually get worse. 

I don't think it will, I did rename my VST folders before and that provided no change at all.

Something has changed and this is much better.  There is still a hesitation but it is something I can live with.

It is not instantaneous like it is in Mixcraft 9 but it is not unbearably slow either.

I will remark if anything develops.

Thanks for the help awesome Cakewalk peeps! ❤️

(I spoke too soon, the problem is not gone, still a 4 second lag when adding tracks and effects with the RME Interface)

Edited by RexRed
  • Like 1

Rex, I think it’s time to contact Jim Roseberry at Studio Cat. Whatever he charges for consulting will be a pittance compared to the frustration you’ve suffered. 
Clearly, there is a problem unique to your system. 
Feel for you man, especially since I was one who strongly recommended RME. 
t

✌️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Rex, I think it’s time to contact Jim Roseberry at Studio Cat. Whatever he charges for consulting will be a pittance compared to the frustration you’ve suffered. 
Clearly, there is a problem unique to your system. 
Feel for you man, especially since I was one who strongly recommended RME. 
t

✌️

What? RME is awesome! I have had about 6 or more  audio interfaces all the way back to SoundBlaster Audigy! 🤓

Nothing compares to the sound quality of the RME Fireface UCX II...

I can definitely hear a difference from the recording of all of my previous sound recorders.

Yea,

It sucks that it runs kinda hot, (so did my E-MU 1820m) it sucks that there is/was this issue with my system (that seems acceptable at this point).

But the fidelity it provides has me at a loss to think of anything else  there is that comes to this caliber? Nothing that I know of. 

I could hear really bad reproduction of my transients in my voice with my other interfaces. This thing nails them.

My admiration for Cakewalk and this RME interface far supersedes any reservations. 

It is worth buying a 2 to 3 thousand dollar rig to make them happy together with it.

Just as everything else pales in comparison to Cakewalk. 😃

• 7 months later...