Program change keeps resetting

I'm a new Cakewalk user. A few days ago I decided to test Arminator and I found out that whenever I played the project, the patch in the VSTi would reset. I've already tried setting the bank and the patch to none though track control manager but it's not working. It's really demotivating... Could anyone help?

Usually I do my compositions in Musescore and then import the MIDI to Cakewalk.

5 hours ago, Hollow Dreaming said:

I'm a new Cakewalk user. A few days ago I decided to test Arminator and I found out that whenever I played the project, the patch in the VSTi would reset. I've already tried setting the bank and the patch to none though track control manager but it's not working. It's really demotivating... Could anyone help?

There could be a number of causes.  If it were me, I'd start by looking in the MIDI Event List.

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

There could be a number of causes.  If it were me, I'd start by looking in the MIDI Event List.

I had thought of that too, but when I opened the event list I got so confused. What do I do with it?

Edited by Hollow Dreaming

First off, I looked on line for Arminator and I found Arminator 2 which is described as being for Windows 32-bit systems.  "Arminator 2 is a vsti for 32bits Windows only." It appears to have been made with Synth Edit. Is that what you are using? I have gotten ancient 32-bit soft synths working on my Windows 10 PC in Cakewalk with BitBridge.  But Animator 2 causes endless *.sem file not found errors.

What I had in mind was to look for a program change command in the event list, but that was assuming it was a current soft synth. But if it uses *.sem files [Synth Edit Modules], the issue might not be so easy to track down.

I thought I had test driven other ancient soft synths from Krakli before. I'd have to boot my XP SP3 PC. 

Edited by User 905133
edits

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

First off, I looked on line for Arminator and I found Arminator 2 which is described as being for Windows 32-bit systems.  "Arminator 2 is a vsti for 32bits Windows only." It appears to have been made with Synth Edit. Is that what you are using? I have gotten ancient 32-bit soft synths working on my Windows 10 PC in Cakewalk with BitBridge.  But Animator 2 causes endless *.sem file not found errors.

What I had in mind was to look for a program change command in the event list, but that was assuming it was a current soft synth. But if it uses *.sem files [Synth Edit Modules], the issue might not be so easy to track down.

I thought I had test driven other ancient soft synths from Krakli before. I'd have to boot my XP SP3 PC. 

There's no problem with the synth. It works perfectly other than the issue O described above, which also happens with other synths like Synth1.

Edited by Hollow Dreaming
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Also, I know nothing about .sem files, lol

13 hours ago, Hollow Dreaming said:

I opened the event list I got so confused. What do I do with it?

Go to the View menu in Event List, uncheck 'Notes', scan the remaining events for 'Patch' in the Kind column, and delete as necessary. If necessary, you can use the Event Manager option in the View menu to uncheck everything but Patch Changes.

• Great Idea 1

23 hours ago, Hollow Dreaming said:

You may have sysex in your track from musescore which I think it does do. If it was me I would eliminate all the sysex  from the musescore tracks and use cakewalk to select the sounds you want. It will also give you more flexibility to change them later if you want.

I don't use MuseScore so don't have any idea how flexible the export process is. That said, if it can create a file without a lot of setup info, that would be best.

When it comes to editing a MuseScore created file in CbB, it may be necessary to modify "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\TTSSEQ.ini" in order to see all the data in the Event List View.

By default, CbB creates a "General MIDI setup measure" from some of the data at the beginning of a MIDI file and as a result this data is not displayed in the Event List View.

Using a text editor open TTSSEQ.ini and in the [Options] section modify the GeneralMidiSMFs line to

GeneralMidiSMFs=0

I second the recommendation to avoid using 32bit plug-ins like Arminator 2. Using it was a bad idea 10 years ago and has not improved with age. There are thousands of free and paid alternatives. And while there may not be another free CS-80, that does not make a SynthEdit version any more attractive.

Here is a thread dedicated to free synth plug-ins.

While I don't know a lot about what goes on under the hood, in the past I learned that some synths like the patch set in the synth and others want the patch set in the MIDI track.
Whichever was wrong had the patch reset to Piano when rewound.

16 hours ago, rfssongs said:

You may have sysex in your track from musescore which I think it does do. If it was me I would eliminate all the sysex  from the musescore tracks and use cakewalk to select the sounds you want. It will also give you more flexibility to change them later if you want.

What is sysex and how do I eliminate it?

11 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

While I don't know a lot about what goes on under the hood, in the past I learned that some synths like the patch set in the synth and others want the patch set in the MIDI track.
Whichever was wrong had the patch reset to Piano when rewound.

How do I set the patch in the MIDI track then? I thought about that too but I don't know how

15 hours ago, scook said:

I don't use MuseScore so don't have any idea how flexible the export process is. That said, if it can create a file without a lot of setup info, that would be best.

When it comes to editing a MuseScore created file in CbB, it may be necessary to modify "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\TTSSEQ.ini" in order to see all the data in the Event List View.

By default, CbB creates a "General MIDI setup measure" from some of the data at the beginning of a MIDI file and as a result this data is not displayed in the Event List View.

Using a text editor open TTSSEQ.ini and in the [Options] section modify the GeneralMidiSMFs line to

GeneralMidiSMFs=0

I second the recommendation to avoid using 32bit plug-ins like Arminator 2. Using it was a bad idea 10 years ago and has not improved with age. There are thousands of free and paid alternatives. And while there may not be another free CS-80, that does not make a SynthEdit version any more attractive.

Here is a thread dedicated to free synth plug-ins.

Gotcha, I'll try finding another CS-80 VSTi then, thank you.

3 hours ago, Hollow Dreaming said:

What is sysex and how do I eliminate it?

sysex = System Exclusive. It is a type of MIDI data.  It exists so there is a common framework [data structure/format] for manufacturers to have data specific for their unique products/product lines.  The sysex spec states the initial and ending byte and the format for the command header.  When specific gear receives a sysex command, it should ignore any such commands not intended for that gear. So, if a lengthy command intended for one synth comes along, other gear can ignore it after the product data bytes until the end of the data chain.

from a Korg Patch Dump (header and end of file/transmission marker in hex, aka Base 16):

F0 42 21 01 00 00 0A 09 . . .  F7 

I don't use MuseScore so I have no idea how it uses sysex.  You'd have to check the MuseScore manual.

As for Cakewalk, if you look in the Online Documentation Index and search for "Sysx" (such as by using Ctrl-F for find in a browser search bar), you can read up on how to access system exclusive data/banks/commands in Cakewalk. Also, you might be interested in the full Cakewalk Reference Guide.

Edited by User 905133

4 hours ago, Hollow Dreaming said:

How do I set the patch in the MIDI track then? I thought about that too but I don't know how

In the MIDI pane. Under the drop-down menu (in red) is a control for what appears in the track pane. Select "All" to see all the relevant settings. Your Workspace setting may also affect what's seen.

patchsetting.jpg