Pro Channel Sidechain in Cakewalk

cclarry

I remember back in the day when I first heard all the talk of side chain. This plugin had it first, all plugins should have it in this day and age, why wasn't this new plugin released with sidechaining features, ect, ect!! Never really paid much attention to it at all.

Until I saw someone mention how to make more room for the kick drum. I tried it and couldn't believe how much it helped!! I do it in every project now. Makes mixing that much easier.

If you have never tried it, watch the video and give it a shot in your own mixes.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

Most of the time I sidechain with a volume envelope like Ducker, LFO tool or Kickstart. It gives me much more control and finetuning. I would say that 90% of the time I would like the sidechain effect to continue even when the kick is gone. So setting it up with a compressor is just more work, it gives volume jumps if you mess up the release, fixed ratios don't give you the control of an envelope and it requires me to use a volume envelope tool anyway.

That being said, a must have for some sidechaining jobs is the ability to chose your spectrum or at least a LPF/HPF. Make it dynamic and I will love you forever. Looking at you Trackspacer. 😍