Melodyne Not playing on a track

Frank DeFede

Question

I almost had my mix done, and was doing some final recording on the lead voca, and then disaster mix is missing certain lead clips in the track with Melodyne.  For some reason most of the lead vocal with Melodyne is not playing.  If I remove melodyne from the track it plays fine, but if I put it back it is muted.  If I create a new Melodyne on the same clip it works.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thank you

6 answers to this question

My friend is having similar issue - sometimes Melodyne will loose data, but! He is using a crack version 🤮, so I guess this maybe the reason. Im not trying to acuse you for cracking but If your version is oryginal than your issue is  strange - try contact the custom service of Melodyne. What I can write at the end of my message - always do the backups of your project at several stages of the progress  -  this way maybe you might have this missing data saved.

Cheers

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn

This is repeated over and over on this forum.  Best dependable results with Melodyne is to always Render the clip when finished. Otherwise clips can become corrupted. 
If further editing is required it is very easy to simply re apply the regional effect later. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:47 AM, John Vere said:

This is repeated over and over on this forum.  Best dependable results with Melodyne is to always Render the clip when finished. Otherwise clips can become corrupted. 
If further editing is required it is very easy to simply re apply the regional effect later. 

John, thank you for the response.  So by render you mean "bonce to clip" right?  And then, if I need to change something in the clip in Melodyne is there a way to go back and edit.

No , you can bounce to clip but the recommended method is to render it. After you are finished editing you re click on the Regional Effect/ Melodyne/ And then Render. This totally removes Melodyne from the clip and  CPU/ Memory etc. 

The people who can get away with not doing this are most likely running much more powerful computers than people like me. 
The other reason to do this as was recently reported is,if you save a project with Melodyne still active and then update Melodyne to a newer version, that project might not open.

After you render a Melodyne clip it reverts back to being a regualr audio file just like any other clip. That's what the word Render means. It's a destructive process as the original audio is now changed and cannot be undone which is why we always have back ups if this bothers you. If it was a client for sure I'd have 20 backups, but for myself it's not a big deal to just re sing something I didn't like and on the ocation that Melodyne made it worse and not better. 

It does only take 2 seconds to press CTRL/shift and drag the original to a new track before editing. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Great Idea 1

And then, if I need to change something in the clip in Melodyne is there a way to go back and edit.

if you render the edited clip but might want to work on it again, you can duplicate the track, then archive the duplicate so you have it in case you like it better. I have not archived a track with the melodyne active/not rendered to know if it is safe to do that. Or you could   ‘ save as ‘ the project with a number or whatever and have it available if further editing is not better. I generally render before saves or archives so not sure how melodyne handles those. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:34 PM, Frank DeFede said:

And then, if I need to change something in the clip in Melodyne is there a way to go back and edit.

Unfortunately no. After bouncing to clip or rendering clip it is not possible to go back and edit it in Melodyne. But you can always go through the process again - go with that edited clip again to Melodyne and tweak once more, but here ( same Tresha mentioned ) I always before do the copy of that clip for editing so I have the oryginal clip as a backup, as reference or as a alternative version, but the way I do it - maybe not the best, but easy and quick if you don't want to multiply tracks - is to make a copy of that clip on another take lane, so it stays on the same track. I find it convenient and easy to AB the results of editing.

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn
  • Like 1